Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Facebook used as a tool by terrorists ?

questionmark

Facebook Inc. (FB), the world’s biggest online social network, is increasingly being used by terrorists to recruit sympathizers, spread propaganda and plan potential attacks, according to the United Nations.

“Promotion of extremist rhetoric encouraging violent acts is also a common trend across the growing range of Internet- based platforms that host user-generated content,” the UN Office on Drugs and Crime said today in a 148-page report, “The Use of the Internet for Terrorist Purposes.” Facebook, Twitter Inc. and Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Youtube were also identified as primary conduits.

Counterterrorism officials met in Vienna for the release of the findings. The UN wants countries to ratify legislation to prevent so-called cyberterrorism and boost cross-border collaboration between law-enforcement agencies.

Read more

• Like 1

This is why facebook is monitored the way it is. They watch it,LiveJournal,and MySpace . There are teams specifically for terrorist monitoring on social media .

LiveJournal had jihad communities .It was unbelievable

• Like 2

Facebook is also a tool for criminal's (ID theft etc), government agencies (police etc etc etc) and possibly other's also...

I personally do not understand why so many people are so willing to openly share personal detail's on the internet, and especially on social networking site's like Facebook etc...

• Like 2

Facebook is also a tool for criminal's (ID theft etc), government agencies (police etc etc etc) and possibly other's also...

I personally do not understand why so many people are so willing to openly share personal detail's on the internet, and especially on social networking site's like Facebook etc...

Becaue they only care about nothing else

• Like 1

I've never had a Facebook and never will.

• Like 6

I use it as a communication tool and have found many benefits to it, otherwise most of my details on there are bogus. On the other hand this seems like old news. Facebook has so many algorithms in its chat system, thy boast they can identify someone who is gay before they even know themselves.

On criminal behaviour, these algorithms search for key terms and sentence structures which Facebook, upon analysis and deem it a high level of illegal activity will then alert authorities. As for a couple of people discussing smoking weed they won't bother. Only organised crime or high level criminal activity will get you busted.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't use any social networking site if I was a terrorist

Edited by D.Winter

Facebook is in itself a tool to glean information out of its users, for advertising etc.

Terrorists are a little closer to home than people think.

• Like 2

Am wondering if female terrorists pose with duck-faces for their facebook pics. Maybe while wearing a sexy suicide-vest, sweating. *ponders joining al-qeda*

• Like 1

Am wondering if female terrorists pose with duck-faces for their facebook pics. Maybe while wearing a sexy suicide-vest, sweating. *ponders joining al-qeda*

possibly while listening to the clear channel radio network..

i 'liked' that comment about terrorism being closer to home than we might realise... when spotting the topic title couldn't help but think yeah, terrorists *do* use facebook.. (they invented it)

about those algorithims and such.. well, about facebook in general, how was this social networking surveillance scene going to be revealed to the world...? would you really believe they were harmless if the alphabet gangs ran them? that's why they were presented to us under the guise of whizkid savants like zuckerberg.. (why, even *you* could cash in here, after all, some douchebag college kid did it)

ummm, did you happen to notice the inside of his jacket?

that's the kind of stuff "normal" folks like you and i do, isn't it?

• Like 1

Unit, you have it spot on there. :tu:

you and i seem to understand eachother

..but for others.. this is barely poking a hole in a wall that allows a glance at the tip of an iceberg..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I personally own a Facebook account, but i'd never share my personal info with anyone. I guess, when it comes to publicity and getting attention from as many people as possible, most people would do anything... :( Edited by CuriousGreek

I've never had a Facebook and never will.

Facebook is not problem, problem is how it will use. Marijuana can used by addict, also it used as medicine.

• Like 1