Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is PMS a Myth?

Q-C

underscoring mine

Exactly!

*WARNING* TMI

I hemorrhaged every month the last few years. I had difficulty breathing at that time each month from lack of iron. It can actually cause anemia induced heart failure. I had no idea at the time. Yeah, I should've pulled up my bootstraps and cleaned the dang house! Ha ha. So I was prescribed prescription iron like many women. But it only helped with the breathing trouble.

And cramps are uterine contractions as in labor! For some of us they can be severe, I know.

This runs in the family. My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.

I worked with a girl called Audrey .. She had it rough.. At times she would pass out with her monthly.. I saw them carry her out of the female toilets at work.. and she was so pale... She said that it makes her pass out at times and she winded up going back to her doctor for more treatment ..

My old friend Anne used to be similar.. She never left the house with her monthly cramps.. I could tell easy.. he face was as white as a sheet and she looked so drained.. She used to throw up with hers.. I sometimes felt sick with mine back then too

I used to get woken in the middle of then ight with heavy cramps that felt as if something was pulling on my muscles .... I would make a hot cup of tea..take a few strong pain killers and went out for a smoke to calm myself... After some time I would feel drained and sleep...I used to keep a small beanie bag that you can place in a microwave .. it was good for the cramps.. I also did more exercise . it seemed to help at times.. then it would hurt more for the rest

I now do not go through that any more.. not since I had young Aaron.. It has gotten much better and a lot easier......... The doctors were right.. the more kids you have, the easier it is for many women

If you think about women in Africa .. Many of them have babies more often.. so I guess it could be a lot easier for them due to the pregnancies ...

My mom said the aunt who raised her in the 1930's had to drink some blood red colored liquid that was prescribed by her doctor and delivered to the house.

I wonder what that was ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I am so in love.. this man is full of.........wisdom :wub:

Please feed more of your great knowledge and facts... Move to men.. what are they like ? ( Please god let him say they are all like him )

I could give you all the attention you crave morning , noon and night... you are just so amazing... Why cant all guys be like you?

I clicked like again...lol and I will start the - Mr Right Wing is fan dabby dosey club..

He's great isn't he? He wants the attention and I am going to give it to him.. I so wish I had his picture

Man this thing I am going through will last a few days...it's brilliant

Wow,he's so astute .Women aren't like men . Men never lie cheat steal or sell all your jewelry at the pawn shop to buy a gun .

Oh boy ! I never knew all of this either. He's so cool ,maybe he can give us some of his spit,so we can clone one for all of us .

• Like 1

Dreading HRT hormone replacement therapy?

I meant the condition many women into the 50's face... I saw my mother go through it and it was not pretty..

Wow,he's so astute .Women aren't like men . Men never lie cheat steal or sell all your jewelry at the pawn shop to buy a gun .

Oh boy ! I never knew all of this either. He's so cool ,maybe he can give us some of his spit,so we can clone one for all of us .

I know... Men never get cranky or fight... I swear his face should be on money lol

• Like 1

As I said,I never got PMS. A few of my ambulance partners had wives that did. One of my partner's said if I got it like his wife did,he would have had to quit his job ,because she was such a b**** ,3 out of 4 weeks.

So one day I'm working with this guy everyone felt was a creep.

So we had one ems radio .Which means whom ever had it ,can hear the radio chatter,and speak to the dispatcher .

So its early in the morning,and he says he wants to stop for breakfast.

When we did this,we ALWAYS got food to go ,as you never know when a call will come over,and you have to rush off.

Also ,you can ask for a 10-100 .That's a food or bathroom break . The dispatcher tries to give you 15 uninterrupted minutes .You should only ask for one per shift,unless its an emergency .

Then you ask for an emergency 10-100.

So I'm sitting in the ambulance,and he takes the ems radio ,and goes into a diner .

I'm waiting for him to come out ,nuthin. 10 min go by ,and I finally go in to see what's holding him up.

He was sitting in booth ,with a full breakfast ifo him,lounging with the newspaper .

I said Wtf.We had just gotten on duty .Who does this ? No GOOD medic I know.

So he says,I asked for an emergency 10-100 .

O_O

He just got into the bus,and he needs an emergency .

Guess what he said ,over the ems radio ,so everyone ,on every other unit could hear it ...ready ?

" central ,we need an emergency 10-100:because my partner has period cramps".

I didnt hear this of course ,because he took the radio,and did it inside the diner.

Every unit we bumped into ribbed me .

I was furious.

I never called in sick ,or gave that as an excuse,EVER ,but this ******* does it for me ,so HE CAN EAT BREAKFAST !

And since he used a 10-100,ten minutes into our shift ,I couldnt get one for my lunch,5 hours later.

He was an utter scum bucket . So yah ,men aren't like women . *rolls eyes*

I meant the condition many women into the 50's face... I saw my mother go through it and it was not pretty..

I wouldn't do HRT .I would look into herbs first. HRT can have not so nice side affects. Just my two cents .

To fully understand it all.. you must realize that each woman.. regardless were in the world she is .. will vary ....

Oh god, absolutely. With the (carnal) knowledge I have gained of the opposite sex, I have seen first hand just how much variation there is. I've had girlfriends that have almost no symptoms what so ever before/during menstruation. I've been with other girls who express discomfort and a for a few, it's the end of the world. I can't even say anything without getting yelled at, then cried on, then possibly yelled at again.

Of course this is not to say that I fully understand nor can fully appreciate what it is like for a woman whilst she menstruates.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Rates of pregnancy vary wildly, but it is highest in poverty stricken catholic nations.

Breast feeding lasts considerably longer. It's actually not as beneficial for the child to nurse less than about a year and a half to 2 years. The upper limit seems to be around 7 years for benefits.

Check out Katherine Dettwyler has a good essay on it, if you're interested. http://www.llli.org/ba/aug94.html

I read the article from the La Leche League which has a breastfeeding agenda (not that there is anything wrong with that I'm all for breastfeeding) but who would obviously quote scientists who favor their agenda.

"and the general public should be made aware that somewhere between three and seven years may be a reasonable and appropriate age of weaning for humans, however uncommon it may be in the United States to nurse an infant through toddlerhood and beyond."

Underscoring mine

Interesting conclusion, but I wonder what benefits would exist if any (weaning at say 5 yrs old), and what negative effects on a child. Sounds crazy to my Western industrialized (school at age 3, mom working) thinking mind.

I wonder if cultures who breastfeed for longer periods use it as a form of birth control. Though it is not always effective as one. Plus, it is the cheapest beverage around-- free.

Oh god, absolutely. With the (carnal) knowledge I have gained of the opposite sex, I have seen first hand just how much variation there is. I've had girlfriends that have almost no symptoms what so ever before/during menstruation. I've been with other girls who express discomfort and a for a few, it's the end of the world. I can't even say anything without getting yelled at, then cried on, then possibly yelled at again.

Of course this is not to say that I fully understand nor can fully appreciate what it is like for a woman whilst she menstruates.

Have you ever had so much pain that it made you feel on edge and snappy? Like a mad toothache? Broken limb ? Where you were not yourself ?

If PMS is a myth... then being a smartass gives me telekinesis a few days out of every month.

Have you ever had so much pain that it made you feel on edge and snappy? Like a mad toothache? Broken limb ? Where you were not yourself ?

Don't sweat it beckys mum . God gets even with men later on,when their prostates swell up to the size of a small watermelon ,and all they can do is dribble and wet the bed every 15 minutes .

~_^

Don't sweat it beckys mum . God gets even with men later on,when their prostates swell up to the size of a small watermelon ,and all they can do is dribble and wet the bed every 15 minutes .

~_^

That would be awful.. I pity men who suffer from prostate cancer.. it is deadly for them and very painful...I would not wish that on any man

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That would be awful.. I pity men who suffer from prostate cancer.. it is deadly for them and very painful...I would not wish that on any man

Oh I didn't mean cancer at all . Prostate swelling occurs in most men as they age ,as part of *their* hormonal process.

It's annoying ,makes sex near impossible ,and quite annoying when they leak and have to pee all the time.

I absolutely believe its gods payback for any man who mocks women who have PMS .

http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/pdisease/prostate/enlargedprostate.html

It looks to me as if some of the posts are conflating PMS (which happens before your period), with the generally sh***y experience of actually having your period. If someone's having time off from work with their period, it's probably because they have a really hard time with their period, not because they're feeling a little more emotional and short-tempered than usual.

Some women have problems with endometriosis, polycystic ovaries and excruciating cramping, which is dismissed innocuously as "period pain." I used to have "period pain" that left me doubled over, with cramping from my abdomen to my knees, and super fun vomiting and diarrhoea because all of those uterus muscles are really close to the stomach and intestines. I would scream myself into exhaustion. It would only happen for two days, but they were two days a month that I was unfit for work. It wasn't because I was feeling emotional and snappy. After about 10 years of dismissal by various doctors, a gynaecologist noticed on one of my many uterine ultrasounds, that I had cysts, and prescribed me the glorious Contraceptive Pill, so that I wouldn't ovulate (pop out eggs from my ovaries) anymore. My ovaries are pretty much shredded, but I can now attend work every day of the week!

Before I went on the Pill, I would notice that I was a bit more teary before my period started, and my concentration would be less awesome than usual. I don't identify as a "b*****," and I don't recall any behavioural swing into that territory. I don't buy the argument that PMS excuses bad behaviour, but nor do I agree that the changes a self-aware individual notices in themselves are purely imagined. When you're bursting with hormones, you feel different. I just wish they were more like oxytocin and less like prostaglandin.

Women are not like men.

If you go and work in an office full of women you'll discover gossiping, lying, back stabbing, bad mouthing, spreading rumours, obnoxious behaviour, aggression and all kinds of cheap manipulation tricks being used.

I have worked in a female-dominated industry, and on the whole, the women I have encountered are courteous, respectful and supportive. And so are the men. Perhaps the women that you encounter, are more indicative of the role you play, and the company you keep.

I've also heard of talk about there being a male PMS syndrome.

My, unconfirmed, readings indicated that this is not as common as in women, yet seems to involve hormone dysfunction.

I pressume that the differences in the male/female anatomy within the genital/gastrointestinal systems and the adverse effects of hormones might account for a more expressive pain and discomfort in certain women.

However, this entire issue is difficult, because many people(especially mid-age) are on some type of antidepressant, anxiety medications, alcohol abuse, etc... Not saying it's related, but it is being studied as a complex adverse reaction involving psychoactive substances and hormone dysfunction interactions.

Again, it is suggested that these issues also happen in males, but in a different way.

I have NO athoritative links to offer on these studies. Could be just bunk, I suppose.

I've also heard of talk about there being a male PMS syndrome.

I so hope there is male PMS..( something like it ) so that when the men get cranky, fight, complain and get so easily offended and so on.. Well at least they can quit blaming the women for it and say - Hey look we got ourselves a syndrome too..lol

• Like 1

Oh I didn't mean cancer at all . Prostate swelling occurs in most men as they age ,as part of *their* hormonal process.

It's annoying ,makes sex near impossible ,and quite annoying when they leak and have to pee all the time.

I absolutely believe its gods payback for any man who mocks women who have PMS .

http://www.healingwi...edprostate.html

Sorry.....I read swelling and peeing the bed every so often and I automatically thought of prostate cancer, for those are a couple of the symptoms ..

I wouldn't go as far as what you note as payback.. I would rather see those who mock it .. give them a few months of it, and hits them hard.. Cramps, hot flushes, over emotional, cranky.nausea, fainting / passing out, more cramps, fatigue etc... To linger for a while and then see how they like it ... Wait a few months, then say.. so hows it going? nice? :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom

There is a hormone change, which can bring about slight mood changes, but nothing as serious as people make out the dreaded 'PMS' to be. Most girls will be a bit more irritable since they feel like a knife is in their uterus, or feel bloated and just not exactly in the happiest mood. If you had the flu and felt like throwing up all the time, or had a horrible pain in your foot, you also wouldn't be the most pleasant.

I've never had rapid mood changes on my period, but I have gotten a bit more emotional. I'm pretty sure its the hormone change- you cry a lot easier. Not that women on periods are sobbing messes, but sad things that usually wouldn't bother us make us cry easier.

Basically, I'm tried of people saying 'haha must be PMSing', like women are volatile monsters for a few days out of the month. Some are in pain and in no mood to be insanely cheerful, but we aren't crazy once a month.

For my ex it was called Post Marriage Syndrome - all nice, sweet and considerate pre marriage - The wicked witch of the North as soon as I said "I Do"...

• Like 1

I read the article from the La Leche League which has a breastfeeding agenda (not that there is anything wrong with that I'm all for breastfeeding) but who would obviously quote scientists who favor their agenda.

"and the general public should be made aware that somewhere between three and seven years may be a reasonable and appropriate age of weaning for humans, however uncommon it may be in the United States to nurse an infant through toddlerhood and beyond."

Underscoring mine

Interesting conclusion, but I wonder what benefits would exist if any (weaning at say 5 yrs old), and what negative effects on a child. Sounds crazy to my Western industrialized (school at age 3, mom working) thinking mind.

I wonder if cultures who breastfeed for longer periods use it as a form of birth control. Though it is not always effective as one. Plus, it is the cheapest beverage around-- free.

Oh it is absoultuely a form of birth control. I know the link was a little one sided, but there are loads of anthropological studies about breastfeeding well into adolescent years. There are cultures where it is common practice. In western society we have the horribly puritanical views of sex and bodily functions.

Oh yeah. I had a cracked molar. So much pain. I couldn't do anything. Couldn't even talk to say how bad the pain was.

Oh yeah. I had a cracked molar. So much pain. I couldn't do anything. Couldn't even talk to say how bad the pain was.

It is horrible... I remember a few years ago, I was pregnant and I badly needed my back tooth seen to, it was hurting really bad... I went to the out of hours dentist... He saw I was pregnant and therefore nothing for the pain...I had to sit on that chair while he drilled and scrapped the crap out of it.. I didn't make a noise .. I had water coming from my eyes...

When I got off the chair, Gary paid the bill.. I was walking up the corridor.. and I swear to you, the pain from having all of that done ( drilling and scraping away at the tooth ) with nothing to numb it..was nothing I have never felt before... .....It was so bad, that when Gary spoke and tried to touch my shoulder, he told me I took a swing for him.. .I had no idea what I was doing it was complete hell... I nearly passed out with the pain. I felt as if one side of my jaw was caving in.....I was swearing like a trooper too...

When it calmed down...I sat apologising...but Gary told me it was understandable considering the pain I was going through... I don't know why I acted like that.. I don't get it either ... I have given birth a few times and not acted anything as bad as that..

• Like 1

It is horrible... I remember a few years ago, I was pregnant and I badly needed my back tooth seen to, it was hurting really bad... I went to the out of hours dentist... He saw I was pregnant and therefore nothing for the pain...I had to sit on that chair while he drilled and scrapped the crap out of it.. I didn't make a noise .. I had water coming from my eyes...

When I got off the chair, Gary paid the bill.. I was walking up the corridor.. and I swear to you, the pain from having all of that done ( drilling and scraping away at the tooth ) with nothing to numb it..was nothing I have never felt before... .....It was so bad, that when Gary spoke and tried to touch my shoulder, he told me I took a swing for him.. .I had no idea what I was doing it was complete hell... I nearly passed out with the pain. I felt as if one side of my jaw was caving in.....I was swearing like a trooper too...

When it calmed down...I sat apologising...but Gary told me it was understandable considering the pain I was going through... I don't know why I acted like that.. I don't get it either ... I have given birth a few times and not acted anything as bad as that..

I've read that tooth pain can be comparable, if not worse sometimes due to exposes nerves, than childbirth.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

My teeth actually have an extra set of nerves that the dentist never seems to be able to hit with the hypo...

Just one of the weird things about me...

I always dread going to the dentist...

Edited by Taun