Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Using a Ouija board

Bling

Wow. I had a look at the link..

You've sure lived in a few haunted houses.. I'd change my realestate agent if I were you. lol..

seriously though, I think you are a sensitive, perhaps because of so many events in your life.

I think if I were you and wanted to take a stab at communicating through the Ouija, I'd try to contact this boy called Mark. As a young spirit who already knows you, he'd probably answer your call strait up, unless he's already moved on or whatever it is they do. But don't be surpised if he doesn't answer, and someone else starts conveying info to your parter and not you.. That's what surpised me when I did it, the info didn't make sence to me, it was all memories of someone elses life, nicknames, events that meant nothing to me..

I never thought of Mark! I guess I don't really know enough about spirit guides to form an opinion, is that what you think he is or just a kid that thinks I'm cool ;)

I never thought of Mark! I guess I don't really know enough about spirit guides to form an opinion, is that what you think he is or just a kid that thinks I'm cool ;)

I don't know much at all about Spirit guides..

Perhaps he is one? I really wouldn't know.. I was actually thinking that perhaps he'd been hanging around you because either he think's your cool, or he somehow feeds from your energy.. *shrugs* I really don't have much experience with guides or spirits, just 2nd hand info from books and a scattering of small experiances across my life..

I don't know much at all about Spirit guides..

Perhaps he is one? I really wouldn't know.. I was actually thinking that perhaps he'd been hanging around you because either he think's your cool, or he somehow feeds from your energy.. *shrugs* I really don't have much experience with guides or spirits, just 2nd hand info from books and a scattering of small experiances across my life..

I think it's because I'm cool th_character00304.gif

• Like 1

That's interesting. I couldn't do it on my own and neither could the other person I usually sat with. Someone further back in this thread also said they couldn't, although successful with others.

Can you explain what you mean by 'muscle memory' please?

Sure. I'll post the link first before I forget and Saru removes it for not citing, lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon.

Here is an example of muscle memory:

If you were to be asked to imagine doing up your shoelaces as vividly as possible, your brain would consciously fixate on the task and work through it as vividly and as logically as possible. The theory of IMR would imply that your muscular memory associated with your hands, would then attempt the task physically, but abort the process unless it was truly necessary and curtail the events that would unfold if you were actually willing to send the complete information along your nervous system to your hands. This may therefore involve an involuntary 'twitch' or movement of the associated digits are placed into preparation of function, processed against reality and then given the signal to not actually act.

In hypnosis, this may be circumvented by dissociating the particular thought-process-response-abort of a digit or entire limb; and therefore give control to the unconscious mind to enable (by suggestion) the route of conscious thought-unconscious process-conscious process (of the fact)-conscious response (do not act)- unconscious response (dissociate from conscious)- ignore abortive conscious attempt- unconscious unabort... Which would then display a reaction or response in a physical manner or behavioral context.

Body language may be considered the most commonly visible aspect of IMR, but may also include such unconscious activities as doodling or art - as the conscious thought is sublimated into a different type of activity in unconscious expression.

It's actually quite interesting and has a long history. I had no idea about it when we used the ouija. I never could work it by myself, but my sister could as I said before. There have been threads here where people stated that they can work the ouija on their own as well.

I'm not sure if they can one way or the other. I do believe however, that the subconscious mind is an interesting thing to tap even if the ouija isn't tapping into the spirit world. It is all interesting and a wonderful subject either way.

I understand, but there is no evidence the ideomotor can do what the skeptics claim. It's simply an alternative explanation that has large assumptions attached to it.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but muscle memory does not produce coherent conversations. It takes a conscious mind to do that.

There is more evidence for idoeomotor than there is evidence for the spirit world imo which has assumptions attached to it as well. :tu: Also, see the reply with the link for more info on the ideomotor effect and muscle memory.

It would be really cool if you bumped into, what was he called, Dr.58, in one of your sessions ;):P

There is more evidence for idoeomotor than there is evidence for the spirit world imo which has assumptions attached to it as well. :tu:

You conclude this because you are using the counter explanation to defeat the existence of the supernatural. Which is circular. To claim one has more evidence than the other you need to have independent lines of evidence for each case.

Also, see the reply with the link for more info on the ideomotor effect and muscle memory.

I saw the stuff in wikipedia. I suspect you dearly want to believe this is an adequate explanation for what is seen in spirit board divination, but it is clearly not. If we are to believe participants then muscle memory does not explain coherent extended conversations. Only a conscious mind does this. Stop and think about it for a moment. How could muscle memory possibly induce a coherent verbal or printed conversation. There is no science that suggest it can.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd do it on my own as it's an experience I'd want to share with someone, to prove it's authenticity or otherwise. If I do it I will video the session.

If you have a voice recorder I would turn it on and try to catch some EVP's. Also might be a good idea to keep a thermometer in the room. Record the temp before, during & after. Just a thought. :)

Also, please read up on the proper way to close the portal when you're done... unless you want to chance a rouge entity attaching itself to you.

• Like 2

If you have a voice recorder I would turn it on and try to catch some EVP's. Also might be a good idea to keep a thermometer in the room. Record the temp before, during & after. Just a thought. :)

Also, please read up on the proper way to close the portal when you're done... unless you want to chance a rouge entity attaching itself to you.

I'll definately close things properly, I don't want to be haunted! Thanks for the advice :tu:

There's a difference between spirits watching over you and spirit guides. Actually, spirits and ghosts are two totally different things (but not going into that).

This link is a basic tutorial with some useful info. http://spiritwalkministry.com/spirit_guides I practice a strange mix of christianity, wiccan & shamanism. But to each their own...

There's a difference between spirits watching over you and spirit guides. Actually, spirits and ghosts are two totally different things (but not going into that).

This link is a basic tutorial with some useful info. http://spiritwalkmin...m/spirit_guides I practice a strange mix of christianity, wiccan & shamanism. But to each their own...

I'll check out that link, thanks.

Any theories why Mark would be watching over me?

I'll check out that link, thanks.

Any theories why Mark would be watching over me?

What's the nature of your association with him?

What's the nature of your association with him?

All I know is what a spiritualist medium told me during a reading - that I had a spirit of a young boy called Mark, dressed similar to the Tudor period, and he follows me wherever I go because he likes me or knows me from a past life. She could see him standing next to me and he was smiling. that was 15 years ago.

Edited by Bling

All I know is what a spiritualist medium told me during a reading - that I had a spirit of a young boy called Mark, dressed similar to the Tudor period, and he follows me wherever I go because he likes me or knows me from a past life. She could see him standing next to me and he was smiling. that was 15 years ago.

Not saying it isn't true... but I would take such things with a grain of salt. Has 'Mark' tried in any way to contact you or let you know he's there? Do you have any proof or just going on the word of someone else? How well did you know this medium and have any others mentioned "Mark' or anyone of his description around you? If he truly does exist he'll attempt to make himself known if he hasn't already. You just need to be open to it. Or your medium friend may be one of the many phonies.

In the end, don't listen to what other people tell you about your spiritual journey. You have everything you need to discover what you're meant to know. Trust in that.

• Like 2

In the end, don't listen to what other people tell you about your spiritual journey. You have everything you need to discover what you're meant to know. Trust in that..

This is spot on!

• Like 1

This is spot on!

Eh, it's just one of those universal truths you learn when you've been around the block a few times.... and not just in this life.

• Like 1

You conclude this because you are using the counter explanation to defeat the existence of the supernatural. Which is circular. To claim one has more evidence than the other you need to have independent lines of evidence for each case..

I saw the stuff in wikipedia. I suspect you dearly want to believe this is an adequate explanation for what is seen in spirit board divination, but it is clearly not. If we are to believe participants then muscle memory does not explain coherent extended conversations. Only a conscious mind does this. Stop and think about it for a moment. How could muscle memory possibly induce a coherent verbal or printed conversation. There is no science that suggest it can.

Well I personally do not see any evidence besides anecdotal for the spirit world. One can recreate certain feelings and sensations in a lab using certain types of sensory deprivation and emf waves that are identical to what people claim to feel when they believe their house is haunted.

If you do not understand what the subconscious mind is able to do, I'm unable to help you, but it is very complicated. It's like driving home on auto pilot and a person could have an extended conversation with their UNconscious mind because they would not be aware of it.

I'm just saying that this is what I believe the Ouija board experience is. If you don't believe it, then fine. I just don't think the Ouija is any more harmful than Monopoly or Clue. I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I didn't invent the ideometer effect, I just believe in it.

• Like 1

Bling have you had your Ouija session yet? Did anything happen?

I am still on the fence as to what it is that comes through on the board....ie is someone pushing the glass, is it a spirit guide or is it a ghost/spirit or just someone using their mind to create movement ....whether it be willingly done or involuntary?

not sure, but I enjoy it anyway x

• Like 1

Bling have you had your Ouija session yet? Did anything happen?

I am still on the fence as to what it is that comes through on the board....ie is someone pushing the glass, is it a spirit guide or is it a ghost/spirit or just someone using their mind to create movement ....whether it be willingly done or involuntary?

not sure, but I enjoy it anyway x

To be absolutely honest....this thread and the advice given here on the forum in general is making me think it's far more serious than I thought, so I'm hesitating until I feel it's completely the right thing for me to do. I feel I've been sensitive to the spirit world for most of my life and I'm kinda scared that I might come into contact with something untoward (it would be just my luck) and I don't think at this time in my life I would cope with it particularly well. So, I'm not rushing into it just yet, I'm going to follow more advice, because I respect and believe....but know I know very little!

• Like 5

To be absolutely honest....this thread and the advice given here on the forum in general is making me think it's far more serious than I thought, so I'm hesitating until I feel it's completely the right thing for me to do. I feel I've been sensitive to the spirit world for most of my life and I'm kinda scared that I might come into contact with something untoward (it would be just my luck) and I don't think at this time in my life I would cope with it particularly well. So, I'm not rushing into it just yet, I'm going to follow more advice, because I respect and believe....but know I know very little!

I don't blame you Bling x I am not comfortable using them at home etc...I always use them while in a group with others that are more experienced! just to be safe :-)

• Like 1

So you all are that skeptic? First time i was 13 . and it was a legit board .I talked to Gus age 9 didnt know what he wanted. hes trapped in a cellar. hints was payphone and nebraska. Hes been here ever since. Im 19 I decided to make a good homeade one. I have videos ill post another time. I looked up Zo Zo . thats the name it gave my friends. they say ouija ouija are you there. I am in the bathroom. but it says yes... ARE you good or bad .. goes to the moon. the video shows the eye move in a figure eight. and said it was Zo Zo. They ask why are you here. It goes to T O N Y. My friend say Tonys not here. it spelled bathroom. Well there screaming my name. I go in the dark room. I ask what do you want from me. It spelled S O U L . I say its gods you cannot do anything. but why do you want my soul. He spells P U R E. I feel drowsy. confused. and ive been speaking un recognizable languages . my eyes stay open longer than it should be able to. i have laughing spells. nd say stuff that i couldnt possibly know. things stack up in my basement where I sleep. What can this be? i was texting my buddy. but it typed something that i did not. which was S U M M O N. can any one help? like Please.

Hi Bling, I just came across this thread. I have shared my thoughts on ouijas a couple of times on other threads. I have never attempted to use a ouija board but have read and heard about other peoples' experiences with them, and it's interesting to read the people's experiences on this thread. To me it seems it would work on the same principle as automatic writing - which is what I do. There are two ways people do this, but I do the one where you hold a pen to paper and it moves on its own to write answers to the questions that you ask. (And for the skepics who are reading this - yes, you do know when the pen is moving on its own and definitely know if you even attempt to move it yourself).

Anyway, I advise to direct your questions to someone specifically. I have contacted and talked to my father (whom I didn't know in this life). But otherwise I only direct my communication to my Over-soul, Higher-Self, Subconscious (whatever one chooses to call it - I call it Higher-Self). Your Higher-Self is the safest route to go, and it/you can answer so many questions and give so much information - it's amazing. It is something you may be interested in trying besides the ouija. I never knew I could do it until I tried it one day - just held a pen loosely in my hand and asked a question. Nothing happened for a while but suddenly the pen moved just a smidgen on it's own which was really a shock to me. It went painstakingly slow at first, but the more one practices with it the faster it gets.

• Like 1

Hi Bling, I just came across this thread. I have shared my thoughts on ouijas a couple of times on other threads. I have never attempted to use a ouija board but have read and heard about other peoples' experiences with them, and it's interesting to read the people's experiences on this thread. To me it seems it would work on the same principle as automatic writing - which is what I do. There are two ways people do this, but I do the one where you hold a pen to paper and it moves on its own to write answers to the questions that you ask. (And for the skepics who are reading this - yes, you do know when the pen is moving on its own and definitely know if you even attempt to move it yourself).

Anyway, I advise to direct your questions to someone specifically. I have contacted and talked to my father (whom I didn't know in this life). But otherwise I only direct my communication to my Over-soul, Higher-Self, Subconscious (whatever one chooses to call it - I call it Higher-Self). Your Higher-Self is the safest route to go, and it/you can answer so many questions and give so much information - it's amazing. It is something you may be interested in trying besides the ouija. I never knew I could do it until I tried it one day - just held a pen loosely in my hand and asked a question. Nothing happened for a while but suddenly the pen moved just a smidgen on it's own which was really a shock to me. It went painstakingly slow at first, but the more one practices with it the faster it gets.

Hiya! Do you say anything before the pen starts moving? Do you call out or anything? I've seen these things on TV and I think it's very interesting, but is it safe? Do you need to close down the session as you would with a Oujia Board?

I still haven't ruled out using a Ouija board, I just need to be 100% sure because I do believe in the paranormal, with a respectful apprehension.

So you all are that skeptic? First time i was 13 . and it was a legit board .I talked to Gus age 9 didnt know what he wanted. hes trapped in a cellar. hints was payphone and nebraska. Hes been here ever since. Im 19 I decided to make a good homeade one. I have videos ill post another time. I looked up Zo Zo . thats the name it gave my friends. they say ouija ouija are you there. I am in the bathroom. but it says yes... ARE you good or bad .. goes to the moon. the video shows the eye move in a figure eight. and said it was Zo Zo. They ask why are you here. It goes to T O N Y. My friend say Tonys not here. it spelled bathroom. Well there screaming my name. I go in the dark room. I ask what do you want from me. It spelled S O U L . I say its gods you cannot do anything. but why do you want my soul. He spells P U R E. I feel drowsy. confused. and ive been speaking un recognizable languages . my eyes stay open longer than it should be able to. i have laughing spells. nd say stuff that i couldnt possibly know. things stack up in my basement where I sleep. What can this be? i was texting my buddy. but it typed something that i did not. which was S U M M O N. can any one help? like Please.

Huh?