Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the scariest movie?

xBlackDahliax

I saw The Orphanage at the cinema, it was such a great immersive tale. There are a couple really jumpy moments, it's a very sad movie too, a good blend of emotions. It really annoyed and insulted me when I saw folks walking out cause it had subtitles!!! Idiots!

The Exorcist always scared me, but the real life experience of a friend made it worse so now I don't watch it anymore. Paranormal Activity is in that same category. Those movies don't seem quite so "fun" anymore.

REC is high on my list, though the american version (Quarantine) did nothing for me.

The Changeling with George C Scott is a good slow burning ghost story.

I can't leave out the original black and white Night of the Living Dead, because watching it alone in a dark empty house terrified me as a kid.

Of course 2016 is scary. It was made by the delusional for the delusional.

I thought Communion was pretty disturbing

I so desperately need to get this film on DVD! I've only seen perhaps the last thrid perhaps which really annoys me. The concept just sounds to excellent, and perhaps a little Lovecraftian. A sort of From Beyond, or Bleknap Long's Hounds of Tindalos feel from what i gather.

I enjoy it A LOT, word to the wise though it does get pretty gory

I don't think I am allowed to post the video itself, but you might want to enter this in YouTube search:

H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993)

Thanks for posting this Im a HUGE fan of LOVECRAFT.

Event Horizon... I love the movie, but it's quite a bit disturbing. Intriguing, but disturbing.

Nobody else thought Communion was disturbing lol when I first saw that movie I was FREAKED OUT

Try these;

The grudge 1,2,3... japan made horror but really sick...

House of bones.. classic american lemonade but it is scary!

Grave encounters 1 ... second part sucks but first if you watch it alone and at night muh muh ^^

28 weeks later... Best opening ever, zombie -style well not really zombies, mroe like virus effected pps...

Cloverfield... More like a scifi alien invader movie, new york is the place, great movie with great reality properties to it...

Anyways depends from what kind of scare you want!

Cheers Nuke

• Like 1

Some movie's that scared the hell out of me, and in no particular order:

1 - Dario Argento's Demon's I & II.

Two cheesy movie's but I saw them when I was too young to understand what a "cheesy movie" was. Scared the hell out of me.

2 - The Return Of The Living Dead Part III.

Again, another corny movie, but saw it at an age I shouldn't have. Scared me.

3 - The Grudge.

There are many people that didn't really find this scary, however I did, hence why it's added here. Seriously, this is a great Horror movie for people who believe in curses and entitie's, knowing what they can do. Scared the hell out of me. Recommended.

4 - The Amityville Horror. [Remake]

I haven't seen the original, however I think this was a decent Horror movie. The "Catch 'em, kill 'em" is creepy and adds to the already eerie atmosphere of the mansion. Add to that, the scenes with the evil presence in the Indian burial grounds and haunted boat house/shed/whatever at the end of the yard.

Some really scary scenes in that movie.

5 - The Exorcist.

'Nuff said.

6 - The Exorcism Of Emily Rose.

Some scenes in this movie left me disturbed. Examples being the post-mortem photograph and the scene where Emily is completely paralayzed on the floor. Also the scene where she just starts randomly, calmly playing the piano as the exorcist/priest leaves.

Recommended movie.

7 - Dead Bird's.

I don't remember much from this movie. All I know is that it is scary and has a wonderful twist at the end. The movie has a wild west vibe to it. A group of cowboys [?] rob a bank and retreat, assumingly several miles away and into an old, abandoned house. From there on in, they begin to break down, one at a time, haunted and turn on each other for various reasons.

Recommended.

8 - REC.

Scary movie, the realism works well and theres a sense of terror and hopelessness throughout the whole film.

Recommended.

9 - IT.

'Nuff said.

10 - Paranormal Activity.

Now, you're probably thinking "PA, what the hell?" but denial aside, the first movie was scary. Watch it alone, at night, with the volumne way up. It only turned to trash when Hollywood started farting out sequels.

Thats all I can think of for now.

• Like 2

Anybody seen Session 9 I thought that was a bit disturbing in an awsome way :tu:

• Like 1

Also when I see movies about demons ( rarely ) I cant stand when the demon possessed person Starts doing that freaken crab walk and bending in ways the humans not suppose to. Freaks me out.

One I'm surprized wasn't mentioned yet is the 1965 B/W Roman Polansky film "Replusion"

Very creepy!

Also when I see movies about demons ( rarely ) I cant stand when the demon possessed person Starts doing that freaken crab walk and bending in ways the humans not suppose to. Freaks me out.

Agreed.

That is what I tried to explain when I mentioned The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Theres a scene where she's just sprawled out on the floor, paralyzed, looking straight forward. When her boyfriend approaches her, she lets out this God-awful howl that just makes you want to curl up into a ball and die.

There are similar joint-locking scenes in the movie's "The Last Exorcism" and "Devil Inside."

Edited by Insaniac

Agreed.

That is what I tried to explain when I mentioned The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Theres a scene where she's just sprawled out on the floor, paralyzed, looking straight forward. When her boyfriend approaches her, she lets out this God-awful howl that just makes you want to curl up into a ball and die.

There are similar joint-locking scenes in the movie's "The Last Exorcism" and "Devil Inside."

Thats why I rarely watch those types of movies, I hate that and when someones like clawing and there fingernails come out, or just are ripped away. Makes me wanna hurl

As well as the absolute majestic beast of storytelling, emotion and direction that is The Exorcist, Kubrick's The Shining is almost a polar opposite, minimal emotion (besides insanity lol), bleak, detached and downright bizarre direction and a story that has been sliced and inverted from its brilliant Stephen King source novel. It's such a mind rush and labyrinth, fantastic film and immensely creepy watch after watch after watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Event Horizon... I love the movie, but it's quite a bit disturbing. Intriguing, but disturbing.

That's what makes it a great movie! It's a rare ability to be able to disgust but still be able to pull your interest along for the ride :D

Eraserhead is the scariest movie I've watched in a long time. If this movie doesn't scare you to death than there is something wrong with your senses.

• Like 1

For me - it's got to be Children of Men. (Mainly because I believe the world is heading that way!)

"The Hills Have Eyes" disturbed me some, enough that I wouldn't watch it again. "Creepshow" and "Twilight Zone, The Movie" from the 80's were a couple of favorites of mine as a kid. "Trick or Treat" is pretty cool. "The Walking Dead" series has my full attention nowadays...

Is that the one with a weird section called Don't Open the Box or something??

As well as the absolute majestic beast of storytelling, emotion and direction that is The Exorcist, Kubrick's The Shining is almost a polar opposite, minimal emotion (besides insanity lol), bleak, detached and downright bizarre direction and a story that has been sliced and inverted from its brilliant Stephen King source novel. It's such a mind rush and labyrinth, fantastic film and immensely creepy watch after watch after watch.

Funny thing about The Shining Stephen King did not like the movie at all, He thought Kubrick missed the crucial points that he conveyed in the book. Stephen King has stated that Kubrick didn't do justice to what King felt were the most important aspects of the book : The main character's struggle with alcoholism, the dissolution of the American family (or at least this one), and the malevolence of the hotel itself (rather than the people/ghosts in it.)

Some of this may be personal for King. Like the main character, King was a writer with a serious alcohol and cocaine problem who confessed suppressing "brutal urges" toward his daughter. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvsho... The book is about a good man turned bad by alcoholism; an alcoholism exploited by an unseen evil force.

The movie is about a jerk who just gets worse.

28 weeks later... Best opening ever, zombie -style well not really zombies, mroe like virus effected pps...

Cheers Nuke

Yeah, this is definitely amongst the better of the "newer" horror movies.

I was almost chewing my fist up when Don (Robert Carlyle) was chased over the meadow down to the stream. He sees that his wife is ripped from the window, and it keeps pouring infected people after him, from all directions.

Robert Carlyle is awesome in that scene and you can almost taste and smell the fear, his facial expression says it all.

And also the sound-piece is awesome, one of the better hooror-movie soundtracks out there.

His finishing words as he escape down the river -"OhShit, ohshit, ohshit", seals the scene.

It's actually one of the most intense scenes I've seen in a horror movie. *phew*

Extro......

Funny thing about The Shining Stephen King did not like the movie at all, He thought Kubrick missed the crucial points that he conveyed in the book. Stephen King has stated that Kubrick didn't do justice to what King felt were the most important aspects of the book : The main character's struggle with alcoholism, the dissolution of the American family (or at least this one), and the malevolence of the hotel itself (rather than the people/ghosts in it.)

Some of this may be personal for King. Like the main character, King was a writer with a serious alcohol and cocaine problem who confessed suppressing "brutal urges" toward his daughter. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvsho... The book is about a good man turned bad by alcoholism; an alcoholism exploited by an unseen evil force.

http://jonnys53.blogspot.co.uk/2007/06/what-you-may-or-may-not-have-seen.html

My own choice would be Extro, from the 80's I think so weird its one scary ass movie, well it was at the time I've not watched it for oh 30yrs

Here is a working clip from the 28-weeks-later opening scene.

Goddamn STASI YouTube blocked the other one, which was of better quality.

[media=]

[/media]

I dont like Kubricks The Shining either. But the novel by Stephen King is one of the scariest novels I have ever read.

I like the fact that Jack Torrance POV is presented quite ambiguous and yes, the hotel is indeed more malevolent (it is the centerpiece not the cheap parlour scares of the ghosts themselves such as in the film) with ever increasing atmosphere of the sinister. It really ****s with their heads for example... the topiary animals.

They're kinda creepy anyways... unimaginable in some remote and isolated mountain-top hotel alone during the off season.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGdUbicqhQjEEACI9XNyoA?p=topiary+animals&fr=chr-greentree_ff&fr2=piv-web