Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have Cryptozoology ever done anything useful?

Vidgange

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are cryptozoologists relevent?

• Yes, very much so!
    • Naaaw, they ain't done sh!t
    • Without them we'd forget all those cryptids out there!
    • A crypto-who??

So you've never heard of the silver backed gorilla? Hmmmmm. To be fair when that was discovered there was probably no such word as cryprozoology, but in effect since the scientists who verified thier existence was searching for an animal that was not only just a rumor but had scientists scoff at the mention (800 pound ape??? ridiculous) they did serve the function, so you are demonstrably incorrect in your assumption that they've never discovered anything.

Are you referring to "the silver backed gorilla" is a species?

An 800 lb ape is ridiculous.

Neither discoverer of gorillas where cryptozoologist.

Check the facts and get back with me.

Just to sum things up, I think it's safe to say that cryptozoology as a quasi science/sub science has done nothing to further our understanding of the world around us. A cryptozoologist has never made a scientific discovery of any kind, and that's probably due to them lacking education - wouldn't you agree? Or else some cryptozoologist somewhere, somehow would have discovered a new monkey, or bird, or insect, or anything when traveling across the globe. That's actually a pretty safe assumption.

Cryptozoologists are in fact amateurs and believers. Sure, they might be the basis of good entertainment, and it may be thanks to them tourism blossom in certain remote places, but they've never found anything of worth as of yet.

I hope they one day DO find something; it doesn't necessarily be the cryptid they're looking for, but an explanation to all the sightings, and in doing so they'd help us understand why we "see" unknown animals.

Edited by Vidgange

• 2 weeks later...

If someone is interested in finding new animals, even a cryptid, why not become a real zoologist? Go actually find new species of fish and plants and insects and small mammals. Maybe you'll find bigfoot while you comb the woods for a new breed of fungus, who knows! Finding new bugs is not as exciting as finding a cryptid, but its very important and you would actually be contributing to science.

• Like 2

While cryptozoologists may not have found any Bigfoots or Nessies, they have contributed to our knowledge of how to apply technologies to unusual uses, such as SONAR for Nessie, and Critter Cams for Bigfoot. And, a lot of territory is getting explored that may have been over-looked otherwise. And, there are some legitimate discoveries made while searching for cryptids, such as Snow Monkeys on Mt. Everest (while looking for the Yeti). If nothing else, it shows us what not to do.....

And who knows...maybe someday, they will find a live Tasmanian Tiger, or large freshwater monster. We eventually found live Coelecanths. It doesn't hurt to look....

• Like 1

While cryptozoologists may not have found any Bigfoots or Nessies, they have contributed to our knowledge of how to apply technologies to unusual uses, such as SONAR for Nessie, and Critter Cams for Bigfoot. And, a lot of territory is getting explored that may have been over-looked otherwise. And, there are some legitimate discoveries made while searching for cryptids, such as Snow Monkeys on Mt. Everest (while looking for the Yeti). If nothing else, it shows us what not to do.....

And who knows...maybe someday, they will find a live Tasmanian Tiger, or large freshwater monster. We eventually found live Coelecanths. It doesn't hurt to look....

Do you have any legitimate documentation to support these claims? My guess is you got all this false info from a crypto website.

Once the "cryptozoologist" finds its "cryptid" the cryptid is now just an animal, and the scientist just a zoologist.

Nothing will be credited to cryptozoology because the term is a nonsensical slur popularized by people who don't understand it.

Once the "cryptozoologist" finds its "cryptid" the cryptid is now just an animal, and the scientist just a zoologist.

Nothing will be credited to cryptozoology because the term is a nonsensical slur popularized by people who don't understand it.

I always thought you had to study very hard to become a zoologist? While being a cryptozoologist requires little to none education; just a lot of enthusiasm?

• Like 1

Both the animals you listed there were and are not cryptids. Both are real creatures that we had fossiled evidence for in the case of the coelecanths. And the tasmanian devil we have both physical and photograthic proof that they existed. As for snow monkies on everest I could find nothing to support that claim, please cite a source.

I always thought you had to study very hard to become a zoologist? While being a cryptozoologist requires little to none education; just a lot of enthusiasm?

Here is what it takes to become a cryptozoologist.

Hey everybody I'm a cryptozoologist!

• Like 2

You have to pay a ton of money to corrupt educational systems to receive a piece of paper saying you did the homework well enough to be considered a zoologist as far as their accountants are concerned.

Doing the research and doling out cash for a license are two different things.

LOL. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

But in order to be a credible cyrptozoologist (LOL) I would add you also need your own website with the obligatory cut and past propaganda stolen from various websites around the internet, t-shirt and baseball cap sales, and links to the latest outrageous crypto related news stories, and a few bogus pay to play expeditions with sound effects and some rock throwing for good measure.

• Like 2

Hehe exactly what I meant ;) every documentary I watch with a cryptozoologist in it they seem so god damn biased!!!!

You have to pay a ton of money to corrupt educational systems to receive a piece of paper saying you did the homework well enough to be considered a zoologist as far as their accountants are concerned.

Doing the research and doling out cash for a license are two different things.

Well, here in Sweden you don't have to pay to go to school, so I guess we have "real" zoologists then :P

Edited by Vidgange

I dont get why you would wanna be a cryptozoologist! If your not getting paid for it. I mean If im gonna be walking around in the woods for hourse getting all eaten by bugs and NOT getting paid for it forget it.

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I dont get why you would wanna be a cryptozoologist! If your not getting paid for it. I mean If im gonna be walking around in the woods for hourse getting all eaten by bugs and NOT getting paid for it forget it.

Uh, for the same reason a lot of artists create without expectation of payment?

It's a hobby just like any other.

It is fun.

It gets one off one's fat behind and into the great outdoors.

You get to interact with many interesting and eccentric characters.

You get to document, share, and (if you are so inclined) create local folklore.

Monsters are cool and who doesn't enjoy a good scare?

• Like 2

I think there should have been another choice:

They have done a little science but much for entertainment.

• Like 1

Uh, for the same reason a lot of artists create without expectation of payment?

True you got a point there

It's a hobby just like any other.

It is fun.

It gets one off one's fat behind and into the great outdoors.

You get to interact with many interesting and eccentric characters.

You get to document, share, and (if you are so inclined) create local folklore.

Monsters are cool and who doesn't enjoy a good scare?

True although also I couldnt do it though because I would want some recognition of some kind I think

Oh, also, cryptids and monsters do make good reading material. It's entertaining and interesting, imo. Just wanted to throw that out there.

The really great thing is I can go out in the woods hiking and I'm just walking about contemplating my place in the great Cosmic Oneness, I can give myself a title of Cryptozoologist.

.....yeah, that and a couple of bucks I can get a cup of coffee.

Oh, one other thing, they give us lots of spooky stories to tell around a nice cozy campfire.

True although also I couldnt do it though because I would want some recognition of some kind I think

What kind of recognition do you seek? Money? Fame? Notoriety? Chicks? You can get it all via cryptozoology at the local, regional, national, and even international levels!

Drive, initiative, and creativity can be well rewarded however - beware: Attaining recognition within cryptozoology is a double-edged sword...

Who the hell voted "Yes"?

I wont argue that it's interesting to debate whether something existing is plausible or not but saying it's "useful" means that some of it must be OF SOME KIND OF USE.

Apart from conning stupid people out of money I can't see any reason to assume it's "useful".

• Like 1

Ok people back to basics.

Crypto = hidden

Zoology = study of animals

Therefore: Cryptozoology is the study of hidden animals. Expanded definition includes the possibility of animals who are considered extinct, living outside of their natural habitat and on the more gantastical end... mythic monsters.

So a cryptozoologist is merely one who searches and/or finds a hidden animal. This is an adjective. It is used to describe a particular action (finding 'hidden' animals). One doesn't need to recognize that one is a cryptozoologist any more than a white man needs to acknowledge he's white while he's doing his job. Infact, if a zoologist found a 'hidden' species and acknowledged himself for the cryptozoologist he was at the point in time, he'd be laughed out of scientific circles because the scientific community focuses on the fantastical aspect of cryptozoology rather than the more realistic aspects of it.

The following crypids had some pretty nonsensical traits that were later disproven as we've been able to study these animals. They were hidden and shrowded in folklore, but via science they are no longer hidden. We no longer believe the wild claims of those who had seen these animals prior to their 'official finding'. They were hidden (crypto), animals (zoology) that were found by those studying their surroundings. Hence, zoologists finding hidden animals = a cryptozoologist (whether or not they have the balls to call themselves one). Doesn't get much simpler then that, kids.

110523-06-antelope.grid-6x2.JPG

Gilled Antelope, believed to have gills on muzzle that could allow water breathing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilled_Antelope

400px-Okapia_johnstoni_-Marwell_Wildlife%2C_Hampshire%2C_England-8a.jpg

Okapi, believed to be an african unicorn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okapi

platypus.jpg

Platypus, confused zoologists for years having lots of wild claims until zoologists were able to study this creature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus

300px-Giant_Squid_NASA.jpg

Giant Squid, supposedly able to take down ships but one large enough hasn't been discovered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

220px-Komododragon2.jpg

Komodo Dragon, not accepted by the European zoological community until 1910 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon

And that's just to name a few, the list goes on and on and on.

• Like 1

Ok people back to basics.

Crypto = hidden

Zoology = study of animals

Therefore: Cryptozoology is the study of hidden animals. Expanded definition includes the possibility of animals who are considered extinct, living outside of their natural habitat and on the more gantastical end... mythic monsters.

So a cryptozoologist is merely one who searches and/or finds a hidden animal. This is an adjective. It is used to describe a particular action (finding 'hidden' animals). One doesn't need to recognize that one is a cryptozoologist any more than a white man needs to acknowledge he's white while he's doing his job. Infact, if a zoologist found a 'hidden' species and acknowledged himself for the cryptozoologist he was at the point in time, he'd be laughed out of scientific circles because the scientific community focuses on the fantastical aspect of cryptozoology rather than the more realistic aspects of it.

The following crypids had some pretty nonsensical traits that were later disproven as we've been able to study these animals. They were hidden and shrowded in folklore, but via science they are no longer hidden. We no longer believe the wild claims of those who had seen these animals prior to their 'official finding'. They were hidden (crypto), animals (zoology) that were found by those studying their surroundings. Hence, zoologists finding hidden animals = a cryptozoologist (whether or not they have the balls to call themselves one). Doesn't get much simpler then that, kids.

That's a pretty solid post man!! Welcome to the site :D

That's a pretty solid post man!! Welcome to the site :D

To me it's not a contest of 'how many people can I sway to believe what I believe'. I'm a seeker of universal truth. To those willing to listen I will tell the truth as I perceive it. Whether or not they decide to perceive it as well is up to them. :)

And thank you for the welcome. It's appreciated.