Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Flat-Earthers Being Serious?

Still Waters

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Fortunately with the earth being flat, you can just walk over to the edge and jump off. :D

• Like 4

Fortunately with the earth being flat, you can just walk over to the edge and jump off. :D

But if he walked over the edge then he wouldn`t be living anywhere . He never said anything about wanting to die .

I think my favorite part was about the NASA scientists who guard the wall of ice. If we keep cutting NASA's funding how will we pay for our Ice Wall Guards?

Do people still believe the earth is flat? Perhaps, and that begs the question, is there intelligent life on earth? For.....

......there are people who think we never landed on the moon, the government is back-engineering captured alien spacecraft, Elvis is still alive, Dancing with the Stars is the greatest show ever, and so forth.

Edited by Sundew

at one time i think they did believe it, and that's why the group was formed. nowadays i think it's just an attention thing. it's cool to say you are a member of the flat earth society or something.

it's like the masons. those fools don't have any secrets anymore, if they ever did. they just behave as though they do because that's what they've always done. it's more about business connections - the old boy's club as it were.

Ha Ha Ha now that's funny. :w00t:

I think my favorite part was about the NASA scientists who guard the wall of ice. If we keep cutting NASA's funding how will we pay for our Ice Wall Guards?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I want to be an Ice Wall Guard!

• Like 3

Here you go people:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

If you go to their forums, they basically defend to the death that the Earth is flat. That pictures from space are faked. 3D models of the Earth are computer generated. The Earth spinning is an optical illusion. They claim nobody has go into Space but only into high altitude. They claim the Earth is flat, but instead of using real science to explain this, they use fringe, pseudo and incorrect science to back it up.... Look at this picture. They claim that it shows flat Earth.

flatearth.jpg

Even though a video shows the Earth curving, they say it's "bendy light" that makes it look like it's curving.

Some guy asked "how do people circumnavigate the Earth if it's flat?" the answer?

"They just sail in a circle around the north pole. They finish where they started, they go east or west the whole time and claim circumnavigation." They even provide a picture.

Some guy then asks "If the surface of the earth is flat, how did I manage to travel only east and wind up back where I started? Also, how do different daylight times / time zones arise? Thanks for your consideration."

The reply? "This confuses a lot of new people. Let me try to explain it. Let's say you are in an empty room that happens to have a large, powerful magnet in the middle of it. The south pole of the magnet is buried deep under ground, but the north pole is at floor level. Now you take a compass out of your pocket. Anywhere you move to in that room, the compass will always show north as being towards the center of the room.

Now, let's say you turn until the compass says you are facing east and you begin to walk, being careful to make corrections as you walk so that the compass always says you are going east. You would walk in a circle around the magnet and eventually end up in the same place that you started. It's the same concept on a flat earth.

As for the time zone question, some here believe that the sun travels in a circle around the Earth near what is known as the equator and takes approximately 24 hours to make one revolution. When the Sun is near the opposite side above the Earth from you, then it is dark where you are but brightly lit on the side where the Sun is located. It is around noon directly under the Sun.

Hope this clears it up for you."

Seriously? Seriously? What I find most hillarious is that to most sane people, the world is round. There is one "theory" - The world is round... Or, an oblate spheroid.

However, one guy says "There's many versions of FET. Some do state such, yes. Others state that it's a disk, while others even state that they don't know exactly how far it reaches, but it is flat." - There are dozens of different theories for there being a Flat Earth... When Round Earthers have one. So, who is right if the Earth is flat?

2m4u81w.png

I wish some people would just go and troll their website. I mean, seriously... Are these people dedicated trolls? I've known this site for at least 5 years.. It's a hell of a dedication if they are trolling. If they are serious.... They really need help. I really don't get it... somebody... help me :(

And i always thought that 'The flat earth society' was a satirical

site ....

:lol: :lol: :lol: I want to be an Ice Wall Guard!

It's a thankless job, but there are moments of excitement...

514415-episode_08_11.png

:P

Don't forget that...

Members of the Night's Watch swear an oath of duty that is binding for life and prohibits marriage, family and land ownership. Desertion is a crime punishable by death.

• Like 2

One would think if the earth is flat then you wouldn't see the curvature of the earth when standing on a mountain top or on a tall radio tower. But...there are those that think that the Apollo moon missions and the Halacaust are faked.

Pythagoras said the Earth was round in the 5th century B.C.E.. Hell, Eratothenes estimated the circumference of the earth to within 2% of the actual distance and all he used was a couple of sticks and some simple trigonometry!

A flat earth is one of the stupidest of ideas.

Ignoring evidence and calling it a conspiracy! Where's your evidence there is a conspiracy? *crickets*

My conspiracy to hide the evidence of conspiracies is working perfectly...

• Like 1

This " earth is flat " is getting very very old! Welcome to the future people! The Earth and all other planets are ROUND! They must be watching too much cartoons -_-

My grandmother believed that the earth was flat. No, I'm serious.

She was born in 1911, a Mennonite (which is an anabaptist... okay, think 'Amish') in Saskatchewan (it's in the middle of Canada... think large and 'really really flat').

She saw airplanes that flew, but she said that "flying wasn't natural" (i.e.: the work of the devil). She also never believed we went to the moon. She just smiled when I asked her about that.

My grandfather watched TV (only for a little while though, in the evenings after his work was done), but my grandmother and the 'television set', no.

...in Saskatchewan (it's in the middle of Canada... think large and 'really really flat').

i love this description of saskatchewan! i'd say you were very kind lol

whenever i think of travelling across saskatchewan i think of the episodes of the flinstones where they are going down the street and every cave and every tree they pass is the exact same. kind of like the silos in saskatchewan along the highway

• Like 1

i love this description of saskatchewan! i'd say you were very kind lol

Horizontal landscape. Spectacular storms....should be on their licence plate.

• Like 1

My conspiracy to hide the evidence of conspiracies is working perfectly...

Keep up the 'good' work./were you making 'devil horns' in your avatar?

Horizontal landscape. Spectacular storms....should be on their licence plate.

maybe you should suggest it to them

My grandmother believed that the earth was flat. No, I'm serious.

She was born in 1911, a Mennonite (which is an anabaptist... okay, think 'Amish') in Saskatchewan (it's in the middle of Canada... think large and 'really really flat').

I'm surprised she couldn't see the curve of the earth being out in the Prairies over 100 years ago....

I wonder if some of those people look up at the moon, see that it doesn't rotate about it's axis, and let that help confirm their bizzare theory without knowing, or wanting to know, how astronomy works.

Umm...the moon does rotate on its axis....

Seriously... It must be a joke/troll site. I just don't believe people can be in that mind.If the world is flat... Can you walk off it? Also, why does NASA waste billions on launching a spacecraft vertically when they can place it on the edge of the Earth and launch it horozontially. I don't get it.... Perhaps it's a cool thing to do, to be "different".

I wonder if some of those people look up at the moon, see that it doesn't rotate about it's axis, and let that help confirm their bizzare theory without knowing, or wanting to know, how astronomy works.

If observed long enough it's clear the moon is round.

http://www.phy6.org/stargaze/Smoon4.htm

Seriously... It must be a joke/troll site. I just don't believe people can be in that mind.I

Alas, yes they can. Look at all the other lunatic theories that find takers (illuminati, 9/11 truthers, reptilian aliens, David Icky, etc etc), and you will that there are plenty of people willing to gobble up the craziest ideas, no matter how absurd. There simply is a willingness by a segment of the population shut off their brains and "believe".

• Like 1