Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

This book is how I discovered this site years ago. I used to own it and I let someone borrow it and it never got returned. I started looking for it online and found this website. I never have replaced that book and seeing it on here has made me start wanting it again.

There are always a few on eBay in the UK, so I would guess you can get it on your side of the pond too. Its not expensive and I really recommend you get a copy. I was without mine for a good few years until i found it at my parents. I had a great weekend going through it with my son. :)

• Like 1

A lot of people here and otherwise have been saying that they recall seeing this image in the readers digest book "Mysteries Of The Unknown: Mysterious Creatures". Imaginarynumber confirms (I think?) that is isn't in that book specifically, but could we be assuming since the "thunderbird" is a mysterious creature it's 'supposed' to be designated there? I've typed the series of books into google images and came up with this picture that shows a whole collection. It may sound like a dead-end search considering some of the titles differ greatly and explore a whole range of topics, but there isn't any way of confirming anything if they aren't all searched front to back.

Just a thought.

(Picture a little big for the forums-- copy and paste)

http://imgc.classist...28033lc_20.jpeg

I can confirm that it's not in the time-life Mysteries of the Unknown 1st edition books. I have the whole set and I've been through them all.

I had (have?) the Readers Digest book and it is also not in there.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Was bored and started looking again..

Found this and got a little excited..

http://oi55.tinypic.com/52ytye.jpg

(Not sure why it didn't show before)

Then realised the human figures were taken directly from..

http://www.museumoftheweird.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/MOTW-080911-Thunderbird_1.jpg

A fairly well-done fake..

<_<

Was bored and started looking again..

Found this and got a little excited..

http://oi55.tinypic.com/52ytye.jpg

(Not sure why it didn't show before)

Then realised the human figures were taken directly from..

http://www.museumoftheweird.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/MOTW-080911-Thunderbird_1.jpg

A fairly well-done fake..

<_<

I believe the first one there was a reenactment picture by the father and his friends of a member on these forums to replicate the photo. They didn't use any photo editing software for this.

I believe the first one there was a reenactment picture by the father and his friends of a member on these forums to replicate the photo. They didn't use any photo editing software for this.

It may be a reenactment, not to sure on that, but the image still looks like it's been pretty badly touched over with some sort of software. The third guy from the left is missing like half his feet, some of the shadows look inconsistent with the lighting (then again I'm not an expert).. and the guy in the middle looks to be wearing shooting goggles.

Wouldn't it be like so totally trippy if there wasn't really the photo everyone is looking for at all??? Like....whoa man. Everyone is having this totally righteous shared hallucinatory memory....like..whoa..... :blink:

Seriously though. What if there isn't really a photo?

It may be a reenactment, not to sure on that, but the image still looks like it's been pretty badly touched over with some sort of software. The third guy from the left is missing like half his feet, some of the shadows look inconsistent with the lighting (then again I'm not an expert).. and the guy in the middle looks to be wearing shooting goggles.

Non-important either way though. Photoshop/reenactment/both-- not the original picture assuming its existence. :(

The quality of the picture is so bad it is hard to work anything out. I think that was deliberate in order to make the "bird" behinds real details, which were probably not well made, obsolete. Whether it was touched up or not it is obviously a fake and I'd take the first guys word for it. I still have the image on my itouch and was going to reupload it today due to the fact most people here hadn't seen it or read earlier parts of the thread.

That members upload was the first time I ever saw the image so I think it could have been the first time it had ever gone into online circulation. I am interested in how you came across it.

That's what keeps people going, I would think. There really isn't any way to know whether or not people have seen this photograph, or if it's simply mass hype and collective delusion brought about by the extensive attention given to the search. Since there's no definitive answer people are going to keep on searching. Kind of like god or no god.

Edited by Thomas J

Wouldn't it be like so totally trippy if there wasn't really the photo everyone is looking for at all??? Like....whoa man. Everyone is having this totally righteous shared hallucinatory memory....like..whoa..... :blink:

Many a theory has been discussed in this thread. I have proposed my own from the most far fetched to the most likely. It is quite fun concocting theories of all spectrums. As well as relayed the theories of others I have heard.

The quality of the picture is so bad it is hard to work anything out. I think that was deliberate in order to make the "bird" behinds real details, which were probably not well made, obsolete. Whether it was touched up or not it is obviously a fake and I'd take the first guys word for it. I still have the image on my itouch and was going to reupload it today due to the fact most people here hadn't seen it or read earlier parts of the thread.

That members upload was the first time I ever saw the image so I think it could have been the first time it had ever gone into online circulation. I am interested in how you came across it.

OH Yes, the first picture! I'm sorry I was talking about the second there, a clear "fakery" I would say.

I came across the first picture simply by typing in the "lost thunderbird photo" into google images. (How creative of me) Using other lines I hadn't had that picture come up before for some reason, maybe to do with the search edge filter. It hasn't actually circled the Internet, in fact now rechecking where I found it it came from another thread here.

OH Yes, the first picture! I'm sorry I was talking about the second there, a clear "fakery" I would say.

I came across the first picture simply by typing in the "lost thunderbird photo" into google images. (How creative of me) Using other lines I hadn't had that picture come up before for some reason, maybe to do with the search edge filter. It hasn't actually circled the Internet, in fact now rechecking where I found it it came from another thread here.

Oh sorry I should have stipulated which one I was talking about. Hmm I was hoping you would say that it was from another site. Nonetheless it is one that has yet to make the rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/lost-t-bd-photo/ one of the comments says the name of the book is Myseteries of the Unexplained...that seems pretty close to what I remember the book I read being called.

The closest I can come to what I remember is what I posted above, but I remember more people, and no kid.

link has copy of pic I posted above

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/thunderbird_photos.html

I have the book Mysteries of the Unexplained and I searched through it, but there is not photo :(

By Reader's Digest Copyright 1982

While I'm on a book buying spree, does anyone know if the Reader's Digest edition of "Mysteries of the Unexplained" is the correct book? It's in my cart and ready to go if anyone knows for sure. original.gif

It's prob too late considering this was posted in 2009, but I have this book and it does not have the pic.

if you can give me better search results i might be able to find it on the internet

if you can give me better search results i might be able to find it on the internet

Believe me, if it was on here (the internet) someone would have found it already.

Believe me, if it was on here (the internet) someone would have found it already.

Correct!

People have been looking for it starting in the early 1980s. So, I'm also pretty sure everyone who knows how to use a search engine has looked online already. I doubt someone is going to type some combination of words into a search engine and finally find it. I know I've spent about 20 hours on it over the last 7 years. Counting library visits, but not driving time.

• 2 months later...

i was wondering if you were talkin about " quest for the unknown" series?..it has the worlds largest bird the andean condor?..it was said that the bird was larger than that??..It talks about a farmer n his wife?

What an utterly fascinating thread. I too 'believe' that i have seen this photo, but you have to wonder if the memory was just created, but i'd fair swear not. I have early 90's magazine sets named 'The X-Factor' and 'The Unexplained (Mysteries of time, mind and space)' by Orbis and there's nothing in there. Someone earlier mentioned the TV series hosted by Leonard Nimoy from the late 1970's, "In search of...". It was that program that as a 8-9 year old ignited my interest in such mysteries and phenomena - absolutely brilliant.

The creepy thing about looking in the Thunderbirds section of 'The X-factor series of magazines was that there was a small article about the photo having been lost. Based on some speculation & considering of all theories here that such an image may have existed in such magazines but was somehow 'deleted' or 'replaced', some small part of me, a very small part, wonders if at one point those magazines sitting in boxes in my garage and that particular page once contained an image of an extremely large bird nailed up against a barn door with a line up of cowboys under it....

I someone has the power to magically alter printed books to remove pictures of big birds, then surely the power to remove the memory of said large avian is well within their capabilities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys :)

I recently scoured my father's computer in result of finding this image: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52ytye&s=7

(Copy and paste to the search box)

I personally have never seen the 'thunderbird photo' and so do not know the authenticity of the image; the image is also VERY battered up (as you can see) but I needed to ckeck with you. Is this what so many remember?

Good luck with the search! :tu:

So I know that that isn't the photo you are looking for. Perhaps the photo you remember is not linked with Sanderson at all. Anyway: If anyone has any information on this photo (the one above), please please post it. Thanks so much.

Sorry to distract the OP, but I felt that this picture was seriously over looked- -I would like to find as much information on it as possible, so if anyone can help, I would be bloody happy.

Good Searching.

That looks like the picture I was thinking of when I started reading the thread. I also found the earlier thread on this, it was back in 2003, I found it while looking for the pic.

that looks like an Ed Gein lookalike contest, with a random Pterosaur thrown in as eye candy.....

I know it is very blurry, but I have never seen the supposed photo that sanderson had, so I wanted more thoughts. Please take a look at it even though it is not the one in the OP. Thanks so much.

Good Searching.

Hi, i found a couple pics idk if they r the one u r talking about. but i think you could be mistaken, there is a thunderbird tack shop and a thunderbird berry farm. 138871d1332397953-legendary-thunderbird-photo-thunderbird-2-.jpg138870d1332397953-legendary-thunderbird-photo-bird2-1-.jpg