Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chef rushed to hospital after tasting

Still Waters

They say if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen - and that's exactly what happened to one hapless cook who had to be rushed off to hospital after tasting a hot chilli sauce at his restaurant.

Arif Ali, 26, suffered a severe reaction as he tried out the concoction, which had been prepared for a Man v Food-style hot wings challenge at Jimmy's restaurant, in London's O2 arena.

The sauce contained Naga Jolokia chillis, which measure 250,000 on the Scoville scale of chilli strength - far hotter than pepper spray and so potent that they should only be handled using latex gloves.

http://www.dailymail...-challenge.html

That is so irresponsible . Sauces like that are pharmaceutical grade . You have to sign a waiver to even buy them .

No matter what the contest was,serving it ,without patrons knowing exactly what it was ,is completely STUPID .

Good thing he tasted it first ,and found out how STUPID he was being .

• Like 1

I love hot food. Even REALLY hot food. But nothing that would put a normal person in the E-room.

I like hot and spicy but not so hot that I end up in the emergency room. That's just dumb to eat something that hot but there are people that will.

This is where I get my extreme stuff.

They explain capsaisin ,and the flames chart on the pages .

Three flames is hot. Four flames is SERIOUSLY HOT .

Six flames is pharmacutical grade . They make you sign a waiver to buy it .

They have collectors editions etc.

I have one five flame bottle . One drop,and its unbelievable . There's really no point either,as you cannot taste anything .

I like the heat to give it a huge kick ,not make my lips and tongue go numb .

And just an aside ,in Chinese Medicine,if you crave hot food,as I do ,you have a spleen imbalance .

Not that your spleen itself is sick ,but your spleen sets off bad digestive issues . For some reason,the heat quells that .

Not everyone of course ,but I definately have had bad spleen problems ,eastern medically speaking . The hotter you can tollerate it,probably the worse off your spleen imbalance is .

Oh well....

I need some new ones . I'm fond of one particular pepper type ...Mmmmm

http://www.hotsauce.com/About-HotSauce-com-s/70.htm

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Some peeps at my work are chilie sauce nuts they buy all kinds of crazy ones on line to try them out etc.

I love hot sauces in general and can tolerate far more then most people can but some of the sauces are so hot they have no flavour, they simply hurt, some of them to the point where you blister. Milk, does nothing and the burning persists for 30-40 mins after the event. Im refering to a coffee stiring stick, with the tip dipped in the sauce.

The only "really hot" hot sauce I actually enjoy eating is "100% pain" that, while very hot indeed, has a really nice flavour and if used in the right manner is really tasty.

• Like 1

I love hot and spicy. But when you end up in the ER that is a liitle much.

'No, no, the problems not my mouth, it's... I thought it was a suppository...'

No, that pain comes later on. :D

I am a hot pepper / hot sauce fanatic. I actually get a physical 'rush' from the perfect flavor / perfect hotness. I tried growing some Naga Bhut Jolokia peppers this year but only ended up with a leafy plant. I brought it inside and will keep it alive through winter and hopefully I will see some peppers next year. I'm sure I probably won't like them because they are going to end up being way too hot.

I do agree with Wyrdlight about if a sauce is so hot that it has no flavor that it ruins it. Most of the cayenne pepper sauces are like that to me. I prefer the habanero based hot sauces. There is one in particular that I especially love. To me it's not that hot at all but the flavor is perfect. It's made locally right here where I live as well. It's called Dinosaur's Devils Duel and it goes well with many foods. :tu:

• Like 1

No, that pain comes later on. :D

I am a hot pepper / hot sauce fanatic. I actually get a physical 'rush' from the perfect flavor / perfect hotness. I tried growing some Naga Bhut Jolokia peppers this year but only ended up with a leafy plant. I brought it inside and will keep it alive through winter and hopefully I will see some peppers next year. I'm sure I probably won't like them because they are going to end up being way too hot.

I do agree with Wyrdlight about if a sauce is so hot that it has no flavor that it ruins it. Most of the cayenne pepper sauces are like that to me. I prefer the habanero based hot sauces. There is one in particular that I especially love. To me it's not that hot at all but the flavor is perfect. It's made locally right here where I live as well. It's called Dinosaur's Devils Duel and it goes well with many foods. :tu:

I love scotch bonnet sauces . You have to be careful with them,but they make a,great sauce when done properly .

This one,is one of my faves.

Hot with a nice flavor ,and doesn't over power the food.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Melinda-s-Scotch-Bonnet-Hot-Sauce-p/1564.htm

• Like 1

why do people eat this crap? does it make you a bigger man or what??

It's machoman retardation.

• Like 1

orly.jpg

I love scotch bonnet sauces . You have to be careful with them,but they make a,great sauce when done properly .

This one,is one of my faves.

Hot with a nice flavor ,and doesn't over power the food.

http://www.hotsauce....auce-p/1564.htm

Papaya and passion fruit??? Oh, that sounds really good. Kinda reminds me of this Peach blend. http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1376jj.html

• Like 1

This made me lol.

The first time my fiancé and I went to his first Indian restaurant, I tried to warn him about the Vindaloos but he didn't listen. Good thing he likes spicy.

This made me lol.

The first time my fiancé and I went to his first Indian restaurant, I tried to warn him about the Vindaloos but he didn't listen. Good thing he likes spicy.

You know that song by the Ramones,the lyrics go : hanging out on second avenue ,eating chicken vindaloo ...i just wanna have something to do .

In nyc ,there was an actual restaurant they all went to ,on second avenue ,and they all got vindaloo.The song is about that restaurant .

When a new person came into the fold,you had to go eat there,and eat chicken vindaloo,the first time.

This was the last 1970s.

The place was called Curry Mahal .

I had never had Indian food before,and the restaurant owners knew the band .An autographed photo of all of them ,hung in the places window for years.

The waiter used to wear these tight white pants with a vest . We used to call him Curry Travolta .

He sat there ,telling me,despite being egged on by everyone else,to not get the vindaloo. I was very young ,very wide eyed .

No no ,I want it ,I said .

I ate the pakora with the hot onions ,I was fine .

I couldn't feel my lips or tongue after about 15 minutes into the vindaloo ,but I never got a mild indian as a main course ,ever ,after that.

My love of indian food is solely because of that night .

Curry Mahal was taken over by new owners about ten years ago ,but the food was still good. No more Ramones pic in the window thought.

No more Curry Travolta .

Last year,it closed.

I almost wept.

Edited by Simbi Laveau

You know that song by the Ramones,the lyrics go : hanging out on second avenue ,eating chicken vindaloo ...i just wanna have something to do .

In nyc ,there was an actual restaurant they all went to ,on second avenue ,and they all got vindaloo.The song is about that restaurant .

When a new person came into the fold,you had to go eat there,and eat chicken vindaloo,the first time.

This was the last 1970s.

The place was called Curry Mahal .

I had never had Indian food before,and the restaurant owners knew the band .An autographed photo of all of them ,hung in the places window for years.

The waiter used to wear these tight white pants with a vest . We used to call him Curry Travolta .

He sat there ,telling me,despite being egged on by everyone else,to not get the vindaloo. I was very young ,very wide eyed .

No no ,I want it ,I said .

I ate the pakora with the hot onions ,I was fine .

I couldn't feel my lips or tongue after about 15 minutes into the vindaloo ,but I never got a mild indian as a main course ,ever ,after that.

My love of indian food is solely because of that night .

Curry Mahal was taken over by new owners about ten years ago ,but the food was still good. No more Ramones pic in the window thought.

No more Curry Travolta .

Last year,it closed.

I almost wept.

I love the Ramones. I was devastated when Joey died.

Cool story though. I always stick to curry with mango chutney.

Yum!