Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BP oil spill cleanup toxic to key species

jugoso

Using oil-dispersing chemicals during the massive 2010 spill in the Gulf of Mexico likely did far more damage than good to a crucial aquatic animal, according to new research that wades into the hotly contested question of whether and when to use the chemicals following an oil spill.

The dispersant used by oil company BP, when mixed with crude oil, was found to be 52 times more toxic than oil alone to some microscopic plankton-like organisms called rotifers.

About 6.8 million litres of the chemical – called Corexit 9500A — were released into the Gulf of Mexico to try to mitigate the devastating underwater petroleum leak caused by the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon offshore oil rig on April 20, 2010.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...fers-study.html

Edited by jugoso
  • Like 2

It's destroyed the gulf . They kept tons of it out of the media,and are still doing so .

We have BP gas stations all over here,and when I see people go in to gas up ,I scream aloud WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU !?!?!?

I hate them .

• Like 5

So it's finally coming out now and all the "conspiracy nuts" where right... lol (it's not actually funny)

They also used Corexit EC9527A which the proprietary composition is unknown to the public. So only the high up people at BP know what was in that one.

Fishermen in the area have been complaining for years about the shellfish etc being toxic from it, they have to be really picky. There is also evidence of people having serious skin conditions because of this stuff. (these people where laughed at, but this is starting to come out)

Supposedly people say that it has that synthetic life form made to eat oil.

This was the synthetic life form:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

Now the weird part... BP patented it.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

So it's finally coming out now and all the "conspiracy nuts" where right... lol (it's not actually funny)

They also used Corexit EC9527A which the proprietary composition is unknown to the public. So only the high up people at BP know what was in that one.

Fishermen in the area have been complaining for years about the shellfish etc being toxic from it, they have to be really picky. There is also evidence of people having serious skin conditions because of this stuff. (these people where laughed at, but this is starting to come out)

Supposedly people say that it has that synthetic life form made to eat oil.

This was the synthetic life form:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

Now the weird part... BP patented it.

There are tons of vids near the rig,after the spill.

Some mighty funky stuff swims by

• Like 1

I've read that Corexit is banned from use in the North Sea and Europe.

With Bush & Cheney in the White House, oil interests could do as they please.

• Like 1

There are tons of vids near the rig,after the spill.

Some mighty funky stuff swims by

Yeah I've seen a few weird videos.

This stuff was even linked to the summer "zombie" shenanigans by some conspiracy theorists.

Edited by Coffey

60 Minutes did its thing on the accident. The event was a criminal act on several layers, but the money took over and "settled" the matter.

Such a story that young guy told, about jumping off the rig. WOW!

I can't believe people were dumb enough to not know that toxic chemicals would be harmful to sea life...

The beauty of humanity I guess..

• Like 1

I can't believe people were dumb enough to not know that toxic chemicals would be harmful to sea life...

The beauty of humanity I guess..

Well I think that THEY DID KNOW. They just did not care that sea life was harmed. They do not care about anything except the bottom line.

All those warm & fuzzy TV ads by BP are just propaganda.

• Like 2

I say we round up all the oil co execs and summarily execute them - and while we're at it take all their possessions for being so greedy :w00t:

• Like 1

The chemical makeup of the patented 'dispersants' is a "trade secret" ... that's the reason we can't know what it really is. I've heard that what the 'dispersants' actually do, is make the oil sludge sink to the bottom... (great idea huh!?) out of sight out of mind seemed to be the strategy .

Edited by lightly

BP banned from new US business over 'lack of business integrity'

BP has suffered a further blow to its US business after being suspended from bidding for US federal contracts and accused of acting with a “lack of business integrity”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/9709191/BP-banned-from-new-US-business-over-lack-of-business-integrity.html

• Like 1