Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ambulance gets 'booted' during emergency

Render

NEW ORLEANS - The Quicky's convenience store in Mid-City takes its parking lot rules seriously. Very seriously.

About 4 p.m. Friday, New Orleans paramedics rushed inside the store for a man with a life-threatening medical issue.

They worked on the patient with chest pain, put him inside the vehicle, then started to speed off.

The paramedics “heard a loud noise,” and the vehicle came to a screeching halt, according to Jeb Tate, spokesman for New Orleans Emergency Medical Services.

The medics stepped out and found a boot on their ambulance.

Convenience store employees allegedly put a restrictive parking boot on the ambulance. And now it was stuck.

The paramedics were perplexed.

Tate said the ambulance had its emergency lights on the whole time.

http://www.wwltv.com...-181631351.html

Un-freaking-believable.

Edited by Render

Vigilante booters.

Ummm,that means they had to call another ambulance ,wait for it to arrive,and move the patient over to it,to transport.

That probably added at least 7 minutes to transport time, if not more,if no bus close by was available .

A delay in certain drugs , can actually add to a patient's morbidity .

The family of that man ,can sue the store,and will end up owning it,if god forbid he were to die .

UnBELIEVABLE .

• Like 3

Plus they took an ambulance and crew out of the loop delaying someone else's treatment waiting for help. I think the store should be cited for obstructing an emergency vehicle

• Like 4

Plus they took an ambulance and crew out of the loop delaying someone else's treatment waiting for help. I think the store should be cited for obstructing an emergency vehicle

The booting nonsense sounds like a racket . The store employees should be canned ,and the booting agency investigated ,as none of that sounds legal .

If the guy was having a cardiac event,he can sue them ,if he has *any* sort of heart necrosis . Wether it was already happening to him or not .

If he needed any sort of thrombolytic ,or if he was having a heart rate issue,delay is wow.......MORONS .

if I has been on this call,I would have been screaming at these *******s,and ask the cops to arrest them .I swear.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they haven't been arrested are there no laws that can be applied for hindering/obstuctingan emergency vehicle or emergency personnel?

• Like 3

I'm afraid if it had been my dad or other relative I might have taken the law into my own hands. Lawlessness is becoming contagious and when people really begin to lose respect for the rule of law we are all in for a bad situation.

• Like 5

Absolutely disgusting.

I hate reading news reports where emergency services don't get respect. They risk their lives for others, you should either get our of their way and let them get on with their job or go out of your way to help if you can.

Things like this do my head in.

This is why I chose not to be a firemen or paramedic even though I full looked into both and planned on doing one of them at some point. I would have ended up smacking someone round the mouth.

I'm afraid if it had been my dad or other relative I might have taken the law into my own hands. Lawlessness is becoming contagious and when people really begin to lose respect for the rule of law we are all in for a bad situation.

It's not just law though, it's as simple as being respect itself. People are losing respect for others. It's really sad.

A friend of mine the other day told me that his dad was at a deli counter in a supermarket and the guy at the deli called out the number 72. This woman went "that's me" then his dad looked at his ticket and he was 72, so he went up to her and asked her number, her response was: "79, but it doesn't really matter"... WOW?! Really?! His reply: "It's *people* like you that is what's wrong with the world today". lol (He didn't say people... but it's nicer to type that lol)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

"Quicky's convenience store"

Hmmm, the owner's must have gotten upset that the paramedics didn't purchase a Slurrpie and a hotdog while saving someone's life. ;)

• Like 3

Absolutely disgusting.

I hate reading news reports where emergency services don't get respect. They risk their lives for others, you should either get our of their way and let them get on with their job or go out of your way to help if you can.u

Things like this do my head in.

This is why I chose not to be a firemen or paramedic even though I full looked into both and planned on doing one of them at some point. I would have ended up smacking someone round the mouth.

It's not just law though, it's as simple as being respect itself. People are losing respect for others. It's really sad.

A friend of mine the other day told me that his dad was at a deli counter in a supermarket and the guy at the deli called out the number 72. This woman went "that's me" then his dad looked at his ticket and he was 72, so he went up to her and asked her number, her response was: "79, but it doesn't really matter"... WOW?! Really?! His reply: "It's *people* like you that is what's wrong with the world today". lol (He didn't say people... but it's nicer to type that lol)

Paramedics and EMTs,are completely under respected.

I have done calls in the Bronx ,where we had to walk thru a huge courtyard ,to get to a call in a building ,about 150 yards from the entrance.

We carry about 35-40 lbs of equipment ,to boot.

People in the buildings were yelling out their windows,and throwing bottles at us,as we walked thru.

I yelled back,when you run at your job,I will run at mine .

You have no idea.

Then the WTC happens,and they deny us benefits ?

They gave all the firemen early retirement,full benefits,us...the hell with us,and then cancer isn't from the WTC .

Really ? But then we are the ones they're screaming for when this stuff goes down .

You have no idea.

It's a thankless,really hard job .

yep itsux no respect just a bunch of self centered stuck on stupid people ungreatful *******s who think the rest of the world owes them something

• Like 1

Paramedics and EMTs,are completely under respected.

I have done calls in the Bronx ,where we had to walk thru a huge courtyard ,to get to a call in a building ,about 150 yards from the entrance.

We carry about 35-40 lbs of equipment ,to boot.

People in the buildings were yelling out their windows,and throwing bottles at us,as we walked thru.

I yelled back,when you run at your job,I will run at mine .

You have no idea.

Then the WTC happens,and they deny us benefits ?

They gave all the firemen early retirement,full benefits,us...the hell with us,and then cancer isn't from the WTC .

Really ? But then we are the ones they're screaming for when this stuff goes down .

You have no idea.

It's a thankless,really hard job .

On behalf of everyone you have saved and helped. Thank you. :)

You do get the respect from some people, as I fully respect you for it. :tu:

• Like 2

Okay I wanna know who gave these dumb****s the authority to boot vehicles. As far as I know, only the city has the authority to boot vehicles which are illegally parked. I hope the owner of the store is put out of business for allowing his employees to do something so stupid. :rolleyes:

Found elsewhere that the owner of this shop has been illegally booting for years. And the shop is right across from the parish courthouse.

Edited by Lady Kasey

Science has come too far.

We should be letting natural selection weed these idiots out.

They never should have existed and have the 1 or 2 brain cells it takes to do their 'jobs'.

edit: typo

Edited by coldethyl

On behalf of everyone you have saved and helped. Thank you. :)

You do get the respect from some people, as I fully respect you for it. :tu:

Awww,thank you Coffey .

It's not your job to rectify the mistakes of the people in nyc. The fire dept loses all the seasoned old time paramedics because of this .

.It's all these green kids who know nothing ,ans no one can show them the ropes anymore ,so the public gets much less expertise now.

It's their own fault.

Do you know about Sandy ?

The fdny ordered ems brass,to order our people to stay ,even after flooding started .

There are photos of flooded ems stations ,with people on top of the ambulances .Same out in the field.

Did you see them put any fdny or nypd at risk ?

They are,trying to hush it up .

I hate the fire dept.

Awww,thank you Coffey .

It's not your job to rectify the mistakes of the people in nyc. The fire dept loses all the seasoned old time paramedics because of this .

.It's all these green kids who know nothing ,ans no one can show them the ropes anymore ,so the public gets much less expertise now.

It's their own fault.

Do you know about Sandy ?

The fdny ordered ems brass,to order our people to stay ,even after flooding started .

There are photos of flooded ems stations ,with people on top of the ambulances .Same out in the field.

Did you see them put any fdny or nypd at risk ?

They are,trying to hush it up .

I hate the fire dept.

I didn't see much from Sandy to be honest, but that's not fair.

How come it's like that?

How come it's like that?

Oh its very under the radar .A few articles. The union is demanding the ems chief resign for putting so many lives in danger.

Anyone who spoke on the news,asked to remain anon,for fear of repercussions.

They treat us like GARBAGE .

NYC does more ambulance calls than any city in the world,yearly ,and we are under paid ,and expendable .

It's like this because if we fight back ,we are crucified .

I have an article . Hold on .

In other news ,the doofus that booted the ambulance has been fired !

How come it's like that?

Here.

If no one recalls,the fire dept wasn't allowed into rockaway to put all the burning houses out,because it was deemed too dangerous for them.

Please see the photo on the right,where the technicians are on the top of their ambulance ,on rockaway

Yah.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/drench_warfare_at_ems_H5j2bW3EacqRPoxKUXc0iN

Please note the last paragraph ,stating Joseph Peruggia was removed after failing to do the right thing during the huge snow storm two years ago .

All that stuff happened ,because the mayor and fdny and sanitation ,TOTALLY SCREWED UP . .

Peruggia certainly cannot control ambulances all stuck in the snow ,because sanitation didn't prepare ,and fdny wouldn't go to sick calls.

Joe is an old friend of mine . He was totally screwed ,and used as a scape goat ,and no one from sanitation or the mayor's office or fdny,was held responsibile .

Just the ems Chief that did his job correctly .

Ummm hmmm....

Edited by Simbi Laveau

That's not right, why is their favoritism like that though?

• Like 1

That's not right, why is their favoritism like that though?

We have no political clout . Fdny and NYPD ,have huge backers who protect them .Especially fdny . The only reason they merged us with fdny,was because they had nothing to do . Fires were at an all time low,so fire stations were looking at being closed.

Ghoulianni merged us,saying we needed someone in charge of us,because we were took stupid to do it ourselves .

No one gets alone with fdny . ,they picked fights with all of us .ems,pd,sanitation .

So now we are merged,justifying all this money and importance for fdny .

They didn't use any money for us.

I kept a log book . I can prove they do nothing for ems.

I spoke to reporters .No one would touch it . Everyone protects the fdny .

We have no political clout . Fdny and NYPD ,have huge backers who protect them .Especially fdny . The only reason they merged us with fdny,was because they had nothing to do . Fires were at an all time low,so fire stations were looking at being closed.

Ghoulianni merged us,saying we needed someone in charge of us,because we were took stupid to do it ourselves .

No one gets alone with fdny . ,they picked fights with all of us .ems,pd,sanitation .

So now we are merged,justifying all this money and importance for fdny .

They didn't use any money for us.

I kept a log book . I can prove they do nothing for ems.

I spoke to reporters .No one would touch it . Everyone protects the fdny .

That's disgusting. I always thought they where rather glorified. (I'm not slagging of the men and women who save lives)

Getting back to the OP, I decided to see if there was a follow-up and there is, but I'm afraid it's not much better.

Apparently the guy who booted the ambulance has been fired. That may seem good, but as I previously mentioned, this little shop has been getting away with booting cars on their own for years. On top of that, they are trying to say that since he's from a foreign country he didn't know it was an ambulance. I call BS with that excuse, namely because of the history the shop has with doing their own booting of vehicles as if they're above the law, but also because you can't tell me that even in a foreign country you wouldn't recognise a wailing siren as something important (i.e. police, ambulance or fire). I think the shop owners used the poor man as a scapegoat.

Full story