Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are mobiles and cell phones so tough?

Bonecrusher

I don't know why mobiles and cell phones are so shatter-proof.

Well I had an incident tonight where I slipped on the ice and the phone dropped on the floor.

So naturally the cover came off and the battery slipped out.

But when I put it back together again nothing was out of place.

And why does a flimsy SIM card stay in one piece too.

I wouldn't mind but it was one of those cheap disposable ones.

Surely there's a limit on how much pressure they can take.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself when you slipped?

Not even a ruptured pelvis. I just caught myself in time.

I wasn't as lucky two years ago when it was a struggle just to stand up.

This is why I hate ice,frost and especially snow.

It feels like an invisible hand has pushed all this weather from the Arctic.

Tbh I was more concerned about my mobile's welfare than mine.

It was actually quite a tough cookie as it happens.

Edited by Walnut Whip

They are so tough so you don't have to shell out a few hundred pounds every time you break one??? Just a guess.

They are so tough so you don't have to shell out a few hundred pounds every time you break one??? Just a guess.

This was actually from the bargain basement at Tesco.

Did you know you can pick one up for twenty quid.

There has to be a catch at those prices but it's nothing to do with it's durability.

It must be those I-Phones but you can get them on contract.

Then get stung with a hefty bill in the post later.

Edited by Walnut Whip

mine never seem so tough...but i am clumsy with them so its probably my own fault x

They're tough because one usually has it in their hand and can use it to beat a mugger senseless. :passifier:

My question is why do you have to shut off your cell phones everytime you get on a plane ?? Anybody ever have one of those throwaway phones, I use to use those alot

My question is why do you have to shut off your cell phones everytime you get on a plane ?? Anybody ever have one of those throwaway phones, I use to use those alot

It's not just planes though. You'll got to switch them off in hospitals and at the flicks.

The reason why they do it at hospitals and the plane is apparently because the cell phones are interfering with the electronics.

You know all the life support machines,pacemakers and whatever navigation controls they have on planes.

I've got no idea about the fllicks apart from the fact they could be used to record the film for a pirate video.

I don't think these projectors have got any electronic components tbh.

Next time I'm at the Odeon I'm going to stick two fingers at them and place a call.

Edited by Walnut Whip

It's not just planes though. You'll got to switch them off in hospitals and at the flicks.

The reason why they do it at hospitals and the plane is apparently because the cell phones are interfering with the electronics.

You know all the life support machines,pacemakers and whatever navigation controls they have on planes.

I've got no idea about the fllicks apart from the fact they could be used to record the film for a pirate video.

I don't think these projectors have got any electronic components tbh.

Next time I'm at the Odeon I'm going to stick two fingers at them and place a call.

WOW that makes me feel real safe if a cell phone can mess up the electronics in a plane, Good Grief. Im never flying again

WOW that makes me feel real safe if a cell phone can mess up the electronics in a plane, Good Grief. Im never flying again

This is another instance of a 'Safety-First' situation where the experts can't agree on the effects of mobiles on aircraft instruments, so most airlines err on the side of safety.

In addition, airlines are concerned about the amount of mindless 'chatter' if mobiles where allowed in-flight. I agree with them - It's bad enough on the train - "Hello dear, We're just going through Clapham Junction now, won't be long. Did you remember to have the cat neutered....?" etc etc! Can you imagine that multiplied a hundred-fold in a cramped space on an 8-hour flight?!!!!

As far as hospitals are concerned, I (and others) suspect that the use of mobiles is prohibited to force patients to use the hideously over-priced hospital telephone system - the notorious 'Phone Trolley'!

And as for the cinemas - I think the people who run the Odeon realise that anyone making a call during a film may well need the services of a qualified Proctologist before the evening has ended!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1