Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheists face worldwide persecution,discrimat

Render

From the Christian West to the Islamic Middle East, atheists face discrimination and persecution including execution, life in prison, the revocation of citizenship and the denial of education and medical services, a new report has revealed.

A 69-page study titled ‘Freedom of Thought 2012: A Global Report on Discrimination Against Humanists, Atheists and the Nonreligious’ has been released by the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU).

The report covers laws affecting freedom of conscience in 60 countries, and lists numerous individual cases where atheists were persecuted for their beliefs.

The report cited discriminatory laws that deny atheists the “right to exist, curtail their freedom of belief and expression, revoke their right to citizenship [and] restrict their right to marry.”

Other laws include “obstructing access to public education, prohibiting them from holding public office, preventing them from working for the state, criminalizing their criticism of religion, and executing them for leaving the religion of their parents.”

The report argues that atheists in Islamic countries – such as Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan – face some of the worst discrimination, including capital punishment. The study did not list specific recent executions, but claimed that capital punishment was often shifted into life imprisonment sentences, as in Afghanistan.

The publication of atheist or humanist views is strictly prohibited under blasphemy laws in countries like Bangladesh, Egypt and Indonesia, the report said.

In most of these countries citizens are required to register as participants of an officially recognized religion – usually Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Without this registration, citizens are not allowed to receive medical services, drive, attend university or travel aboard, forcing non-believers to lie.

Anti-atheist discrimination in North America and Europe

The report emphasizes that non-believers are discriminated against even in North American and European nations. In the US, “atheists and the non-religious are made to feel like lesser Americans, or non-Americans.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/10/us-religion-atheists-idUSBRE8B900520121210

http://rt.com/news/atheists-persecution-discrimination-report-692/

That's really unfortunate. Christians and Jews face the same pressure in Pakistan and several places in Afghanistan. I can't imagine being a Jew in those places, especially with the way Jews are portrayed because the success of the nation of Israel.

It seems like its not so much a religion thing as it is a culture thing. The African Americans faced slavery for hundreds of years in America and then were persecuted as they pursued civil liberties. The persecutors claimed to be Christians. But if that was solely the case, wouldn't slavery and white supremacy remain a foundation of Christian belief?

And while atheists are persecuted in Afghanistan, I've seen them on the offensive here in America; protesting nativity signs, taking up park space where Christmas lights would go, penalizing kids by removing scholarships for mentioning God in their graduation speeches, and even making Christians look like hypocritical and arrogant people on Glee.

It is something about the culture and experiences surrounding it. Even something as religionless as humanism can be a very bad thing if there is something fundamentally wrong with the culture. Even William Wilberforce preached against his own country's Christian culture because they lacked the Spirit and justified the slave trade.

In this case Afghanistan, and maybe the entire Middle East, needs a cultural reform. Unless you think their culture is fine the way it is.

• Like 1

That's really unfortunate. Christians and Jews face the same pressure in Pakistan and several places in Afghanistan. I can't imagine being a Jew in those places, especially with the way Jews are portrayed because the success of the nation of Israel.

It seems like its not so much a religion thing as it is a culture thing. The African Americans faced slavery for hundreds of years in America and then were persecuted as they pursued civil liberties. The persecutors claimed to be Christians. But if that was solely the case, wouldn't slavery and white supremacy remain a foundation of Christian belief?

And while atheists are persecuted in Afghanistan, I've seen them on the offensive here in America; protesting nativity signs, taking up park space where Christmas lights would go, penalizing kids by removing scholarships for mentioning God in their graduation speeches, and even making Christians look like hypocritical and arrogant people on Glee.

It is something about the culture and experiences surrounding it. Even something as religionless as humanism can be a very bad thing if there is something fundamentally wrong with the culture. Even William Wilberforce preached against his own country's Christian culture because they lacked the Spirit and justified the slave trade.

In this case Afghanistan, and maybe the entire Middle East, needs a cultural reform. Unless you think their culture is fine the way it is.

Couldnt of said it better my self, god bless :)

Oh, so nothing to do with them killing innocent civilians?

It was African Americans themselves that enslaved their own and sold the slaves to the "white people".

Not a lot of people realise that. One of the reasons it annoys me when a lot of African American people like MR T for example goes on about it. obviously the White people who did it at the time where wrong, but it wasn't them that started it.

• Like 1

Oh, so nothing to do with them killing innocent civilians?

That doesn't really seem like an argument. Did you mean to make your own point?

It was African Americans themselves that enslaved their own and sold the slaves to the "white people".

Not a lot of people realise that. One of the reasons it annoys me when a lot of African American people like MR T for example goes on about it. obviously the White people who did it at the time where wrong, but it wasn't them that started it.

I understand the point you are making, but I think that you are veering from the OP.

The OP states that atheists are facing persecution, especially in prediminantly Muslim nations. My use to the slave trade issue was really focus on the cultures behind the religious groups that supported those actions.

If you mean to argue, please address a specific point and show me how I am wrong. If not, please don't quote me and then go on a tangent. It's confusing.

Edited by Bluefinger

That doesn't really seem like an argument. Did you mean to make your own point?

Not an argument, sarcastic point.

A lot of people dislike Israel because of how the countries government and military treat other people, nations, religions and races. Not because they are successful. I also don't see how they are "successful", Getting help from a super power doesn't really cry out "success" to me.

I understand the point you are making, but I think that you are veering from the OP.

The OP states that atheists are facing persecution, especially in prediminantly Muslim nations. My use to the slave trade issue was really focus on the cultures behind the religious groups that supported those actions.

If you mean to argue, please address a specific point and show me how I am wrong. If not, please don't quote me and then go on a tangent. It's confusing.

Wasn't wanting to argue, merely pointing out that slavery wasn't started by the "white people". If that confuses you then sorry.

Shall we point out how a lot of them still enslave people?

• Like 2

So, an atheist organisation commissions a report on discrimination and finds.......wait for it.......that atheists are discriminated against. As Bluefinger said, discrimination and prejudice based on religious belief (or lack of) is commonplace. I don't think any one group is particularly hard done by.

• Like 4