Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Irish Banshee

BNDGK

So, for a project at my school, I chose to research and compose a paper on the ancient Irish legend of the banshee. My entire ancestry is from Ireland, so the idea of the legend greatly intrigued me. Growing up in my family, I don't know how many stories and wive's tales have been passed down through my family about these enigmatic beings. However, I'm curious: How do y'all feel about the legend of the banshee? Do you believe? Are you skeptical? And does anyone know of any REALLY good internet sites to research banshee stories? What do you think?

Edited by BNDGK

I dunno about REALLY good internet sites to research banshee stories, but I think using the traditional Irish word for them would be a nice touch: Bean Sí. That's an accent mark over the i not a weird dot. ;)

If you look at the end of the Wikipedia entry for Banshee, there are four books referenced plus three sites and various articles noted. That's a simple place to start.

• Like 1

I dunno about REALLY good internet sites to research banshee stories, but I think using the traditional Irish word for them would be a nice touch: Bean Sí. That's an accent mark over the i not a weird dot. ;)

If you look at the end of the Wikipedia entry for Banshee, there are four books referenced plus three sites and various articles noted. That's a simple place to start.

Cool! Thanks for the references. I did however know of the traditional name thank you ;) I am currently also learning traditional Gaelic.

You may also want to try looking up Washer of the Shrouds, Washer at the Banks, Cointeach, Cyhiraeth, Cyoerraeth, Gwrach y Rhybn, Eur-Cunnere Noe or Bean-nighe. Those are other names for the Banshee.

You may also want to try looking up Washer of the Shrouds, Washer at the Banks, Cointeach, Cyhiraeth, Cyoerraeth, Gwrach y Rhybn, Eur-Cunnere Noe or Bean-nighe. Those are other names for the Banshee.

Nice. I actually hadn't heard all of those. thank you!! :D

Nice. I actually hadn't heard all of those. thank you!! :D

Well, they aren't exactly the Irish banshee... Scot, Cornish, ect... Other banshees..

Well, they aren't exactly the Irish banshee... Scot, Cornish, ect... Other banshees..

Well it certainly broadens my area of research. Geeze, i'm gonna have to rewrite my paper!