Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elementary school shooting

Simbi Laveau

Fifty to one hundred years ago there was virtually NO gun control, and virtually NO school shootings. What changed? Our culture changed. Technology and the presentation of violence changed. Then our culture became based around technology.

We turn on the television and see a kid cut open his own mother while she breathes on The Walking Dead, and then see him blow her brains out before she can reanimate into a zombie. We see Call of Duty: Black Ops II advertisements online, on our televisions, on our phones - that advocate sending drone strikes onto other players; of course, before unloading an entire clip of ammo onto a once lively enemy body. All the while conditioning us to concepts of futuristic warfare that might have seemed strange to us if they were in any other form than a video game. Conditioning us, making the thousands of people killed by US drones in the past several years seem okay, since it seems more like a video game. The truth? We're detached.

We see films where violence and special effects are the main attractions, and we laugh when we see fictional characters in pain or die horrific deaths, fully knowing these things are capable of happening to us; fully knowing that these things do happen to people. But all the while, since these things don't happen to us, we don't give a damn. But you know what? It isn't bloody funny. This is serious.

We should discuss how the violence of our culture anethesizes us - especially as younger children are babysat by television sets and introduced to violent concepts at a progressively younger and younger age as time goes on.

Our culture has spawned a desensitized and violent sub-culture of irritable, impatient, behaviorally riddled children who see no need for originality when everything is based around instant gratification and pre-imagined and pre-packaged thoughts. Children who see no correlation between what is a video game, and what is reality.

Children - my generation, and this new one, are apart of a culture that sees violence and finds it amusing. A culture that sees a world based on false, violent realities they spend hours upon hours immersed in - THAT PARENTS LET BABYSIT THEM. And when twenty innocent children are gunned down we have the AUDACITY to be SURPRISED?

I'm sorry for my bluntness.. Even if I am being superficial, I am telling the truth.

Going to have to disagree.

For one thing, the influx of violence isn't a new thing to our society. Parents used to take their kids to public hangings, beheadings, witch-burnings, and other violent executions. Wealthy parents took their kids to picnic and watch the First Battle of Bull Run - an ACTUAL battle with ACTUAL people dying.

Yes some kids can't distinguish what's real and what's not when it comes to the media, but these kids usually have some sort of mental disorder to begin with. Parents shouldn't be letting their kids watch all of the violence and play games above their age range at any rate.

I've played video games my entire life, as did my siblings, my friends, many relatives. None of us grew up to be psychopaths. As I said earlier, I find it hard to even kill a spider.

There is no evidence Adam played violent games or watched violent movies. However, there is evidence he was autistic and had other personality disorders, which can cause a disconnect from society.

There may not have been as many mass shootings back then, but there were still PLENTY of serial killers and child rapists and violent murderers. You think Jack the Ripper was mimicking The Walking Dead?

Perhaps the mass shooting thing has become a trend because of copycats.

With most mass killings (serial killings, etc) that occur, the killer has some kind of mental disorder. Don't blame video games and movies. That mental disorder is still going to be there regardless. Blame it on a lack of proper treatment or therapy.

Edited by RockabyeBillie
  • Like 4

Such saddess to hear of another horrible act, my heart goes out to the famlies . What got me , a detective had said on the phone tonight in speaking to the news - this very moment there is some one out there that is planning to do something more horrific. I agree drayo to many violence shows and games are not good for kids growing up and if society wants to keep taking God and the golden rules away, the rules our laws were founded on, they have better replace it with some kind of anger mangement programs in the schools for kids, or let everyone carry a gun.

• Like 1

Ok...I walked away from this thread as I was getting too emotional and I come back a few hours later...read a few posts and now I am enraged. Not just at the tragedy today but at the wanna be "I'm so special and empathetic" losers...

You want to feel the pain?...You want to share in the tragedy? Why don't you act this way when thousands of innocent men women AND children are killed by the Holy America's drone attacks? What about Somalia and Sudan or the Congo? Because they use bombs and machete's it's not so tragic? or is because we think we are so better than everyone else? We have killed untold thousands of children over the last 10 years...where is your empathy and outcries for that?

You all make me sick to my stomach with your selfish self righteous outcries...you are all hypocrites of the finest order and I hope you puke your dinner up when you realize what I just said is the abso-****g-lute truth...have a nice freaking night...

• Like 1

Why do these incidents happen more in America than elsewhere?

you answered yourself, because america is not elsewhere,

American society is different than everyone else.

You want to feel the pain?...You want to share in the tragedy? Why don't you act this way when thousands of innocent men women AND children are killed by the Holy America's drone attacks? What about Somalia and Sudan or the Congo? Because they use bombs and machete's it's not so tragic? or is because we think we are so better than everyone else? We have killed untold thousands of children over the last 10 years...where is your empathy and outcries for that?

Benghazi, Colorado shootings, 9/11, Oklahoma City bombing, Pearl Harbor, we don't understand the pain and tragedy of these attacks? What are you even talking about?

Edited by Order66

Ok...I walked away from this thread as I was getting too emotional and I come back a few hours later...read a few posts and now I am enraged. Not just at the tragedy today but at the wanna be "I'm so special and empathetic" losers...

You all make me sick to my stomach with your selfish self righteous outcries...you are all hypocrites of the finest order and I hope you puke your dinner up when you realize what I just said is the abso-****g-lute truth...have a nice freaking night...

Calm down, brother man, before YOU become the next deranged killer.

• Like 1

Someone needs a hug....

We turn on the television and see a kid cut open his own mother while she breathes on The Walking Dead, and then see him blow her brains out before she can reanimate into a zombie. We see Call of Duty: Black Ops II advertisements online, on our televisions, on our phones - that advocate sending drone strikes onto other players; of course, before unloading an entire clip of ammo onto a once lively enemy body. All the while conditioning us to concepts of futuristic warfare that might have seemed strange to us if they were in any other form than a video game. Conditioning us, making the thousands of people killed by US drones in the past several years seem okay, since it seems more like a video game. The truth? We're detached.

We see films where violence and special effects are the main attractions, and we laugh when we see fictional characters in pain or die horrific deaths, fully knowing these things are capable of happening to us; fully knowing that these things do happen to people. But all the while, since these things don't happen to us, we don't give a damn. But you know what? It isn't bloody funny. This is serious.

We should discuss how the violence of our culture anethesizes us - especially as younger children are babysat by television sets and introduced to violent concepts at a progressively younger and younger age as time goes on.

Our culture has spawned a desensitized and violent sub-culture of irritable, impatient, behaviorally riddled children who see no need for originality when everything is based around instant gratification and pre-imagined and pre-packaged thoughts. Children who see no correlation between what is a video game, and what is reality.

Right. Except we have the same thing in the UK. Same films. Same games. And no gun crime on the scale you do in the US. Because we have proper gun laws. To blame it on the media (as in, TV, films etc) is very very weak.

• Like 5

Benghazi, Colorado shootings, 9/11, Oklahoma City bombing, Pearl Harbor, we don't understand the pain and tragedy of these attacks? What are you even talking about?

I am talking like it is such a terrible terrible thing like nothing else in the world..."oh heaven split open and save us"...when equal or greater tragedy happens every single day and these same bleeding hearts choose to do nothing...say nothing...feel nothing. This country has killed thousands of children...but that is somehow OK cause it was good ole Uncle Sam pulling the trigger....he was saving us from those scary brown people growing up and hating us...or becoming doctors and engineers and taking our jobs we are no longer smart enough to do.

It's about hypocrisy at levels I cannot even describe. Yes...hell yes what happened today was aweful...but when people cry about this rule or this law and act like the sky is falling...it drives me insane because they didn't act that way yesterday or will not act that way tomorrow when a band of Congonese fighters murder a village, machete kill the children and rape the women...they won't and they know it. They will turn the channel and act like they didn't hear it...but when it happens in Holy America....stop the damn presses...we the mob must act now! The scales of proportion are so out of whack it is astounding...

Everyone that thinks some action must be taken to insure this never happens again in America must first start demanding we put soldiers on the ground in Somalia, Sudan and the Congo...write your Congressmen and demand a stop to the drone attacks. if you are not willing to do that little thing...you have no voice anywhere else...that is unless you are a hypocrite and those "other" people do not matter.

I am done for the night...my blood pressure is through the roof and people have no understanding what they do or of the stupidity they spew.

Right. Except we have the same thing in the UK. Same films. Same games. And no gun crime on the scale you do in the US. Because we have proper gun laws. To blame it on the media (as in, TV, films etc) is very very weak.

Right, and your firearm offenses doubled after your gun ban.

Not to mention the UK is in a state of total surveillance. Good job.

I am talking like it is such a terrible terrible thing like nothing else in the world..."oh heaven split open and save us"...when equal or greater tragedy happens every single day and these same bleeding hearts choose to do nothing...say nothing...feel nothing. This country has killed thousands of children...but that is somehow OK cause it was good ole Uncle Sam pulling the trigger....he was saving us from those scary brown people growing up and hating us...or becoming doctors and engineers and taking our jobs we are no longer smart enough to do.

It's about hypocrisy at levels I cannot even describe. Yes...hell yes what happened today was aweful...but when people cry about this rule or this law and act like the sky is falling...it drives me insane because they didn't act that way yesterday or will not act that way tomorrow when a band of Congonese fighters murder a village, machete kill the children and rape the women...they won't and they know it. They will turn the channel and act like they didn't hear it...but when it happens in Holy America....stop the damn presses...we the mob must act now! The scales of proportion are so out of whack it is astounding...

Everyone that thinks some action must be taken to insure this never happens again in America must first start demanding we put soldiers on the ground in Somalia, Sudan and the Congo...write your Congressmen and demand a stop to the drone attacks. if you are not willing to do that little thing...you have no voice anywhere else...that is unless you are a hypocrite and those "other" people do not matter.

I am done for the night...my blood pressure is through the roof and people have no understanding what they do or of the stupidity they spew.

It must be a tough job being the last enlightened creature on God's earth.
  • Like 2

Horrible.. :( just Horrible.. :cry:

What's gone wrong with the world for such things to happen to the innocent.

Hey Pro. T,

I've read this thread from the beginning so far and I'd like to reply to this.

Sadly, as much as we'd wish, nothing can fully protect the innocent. Nothing's really changed, it's gone on for ages.

- LG :(

• Like 1

Right, and your firearm offenses doubled after your gun ban.

Not to mention the UK is in a state of total surveillance. Good job.

Mate, you do not have an argument. Any doubling of gun crime is negligible compared to what is happening in your country.

And can you show that surveillance has anything to do with it?

Stop evading the point - more guns means more people die from gun crime.

• Like 2

I see this went to gun control.....

Let me fix that......

Where are the Christians saying " everything happens for a reason "........I want that explained now.

That should do away with the gun control debate.

• Like 1

I wish that the gun control debaters would find another room.

I strongly agree with one of the sides, but this isn't the place. Someone made a thread for that. If you wish to debate, well, let's meet over there. :) Kay?

• Like 2

I see this went to gun control.....

Let me fix that......

Where are the Christians saying " everything happens for a reason "........I want that explained now.

That should do away with the gun control debate.

No, it doesn't.

I wish that the gun control debaters would find another room.

I strongly agree with one of the sides, but this isn't the place. Someone made a thread for that. If you wish to debate, well, let's meet over there. :) Kay?

You don't believe they're directly related? Children being shot dead in a country with relatively low gun control, and a conversation about gun control?

Don't sweep this under the carpet.

• Like 1

You don't believe they're directly related? Children being shot dead in a country with relatively low gun control, and a conversation about gun control?

Don't sweep this under the carpet.

What they are saying is this was a thread more about sending condolences, and not debating other issues. It has been asked nicely numerous times to not do this.

Why bring a heated debate into a thread like this?.....It is selfish, especially since numerous people asked for people to take that elsewhere, and another thread was made for that discussion.

• Like 4

You know, what I still don't understand(and it probably never will be understood) is why he killed all those people, most especially the children.

I realize the same goes for other mass shootings, but I just can't fathom the depth of insanity in this case.

Since he killed his mother first, I pressume he had one hell of an argument with her either at that time or perhaps was ongoing for some time.

• Like 2

Since when are tragic things like this a competition?....They are all tragic, none greater then the other.

• Like 1

Mate, you do not have an argument. Any doubling of gun crime is negligible compared to what is happening in your country.

And can you show that surveillance has anything to do with it?

Stop evading the point - more guns means more people die from gun crime.

No, surveillance has nothing to do with this particular issue. But it is excessive in your country.

As it is in my own.

Since we were spouting facts, I figured I might as well spout some more.

You know, what I still don't understand(and it probably never will be understood) is why he killed all those people, most especially the children.

I realize the same goes for other mass shootings, but I just can't fathom the depth of insanity in this case.

Since he killed his mother first, I pressume he had one hell of an argument with her either at that time or perhaps was ongoing for some time.

I doubt anyone will ever figure out why people lose it like that....Hell, Hitler did, and he was able to have others carry out his insane orders.

It is unfortunate ( as I mentioned before ), this did not surprise me. There will be more, history shows that.

Humans are sick....( some anyway )

• Like 2

Hey Pro. T,

I've read this thread from the beginning so far and I'd like to reply to this.

Sadly, as much as we'd wish, nothing can fully protect the innocent. Nothing's really changed, it's gone on for ages.

- LG :(

Much as I hate to admit it, you are possibly right..

Only these days the frequency & exposure seems worse because of Media and instant focus, such as this thread/forum.

And also, these days, crimes such as this are made all the worse with the avalibility of such weapons.

Edited to add: And I'm not weighing into the stupid gun control debate going on in here.. That doesn't belong here because it distracts us all from the fact that this terrible event has occured..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

What they are saying is this was a thread more about sending condolences, and not debating other issues. It has been asked nicely numerous times to not do this.

Why bring a heated debate into a thread like this?.....It is selfish, especially since numerous people asked for people to take that elsewhere, and another thread was made for that discussion.

Fair point.

I apologise for being heated in discussion, I'm sure you can understand.

• Like 3