Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wow - Golden Eagle Snatches Toddler In Park!

seeder

sometimes its good to have overweight babies..

..... now the kid can really say 'some bird tried picking me up the other day'...

:w00t:

• Like 4

Sometimes text cannot mimc what i'd have been like had I have actually been there and seen that so here, this picture will help.

pfftch_laughing_rage_face_comic_meme_poster-rb857504fcdd34b2788cb22824f774204_jih_400.jpg?bg=0xffffff

• Like 1

How awful and terrifying! Even if it didn't carry the child off it could have easily punctured the child's lungs with its talons (probably his winter clothes protected him), not to mention the child could have fallen from much higher up. Very lucky child. It would have been a gruesome death.

Why would a bird like this go after a child I wonder? Loss of food sources or habitat? Eagles have amazing vision and the child was not covered in feathers or fur or even skin.

I am so glad the guy stopped filming and ran to help.

• Like 1

Its in the news too!!

http://www.telegraph...-in-Canada.html

and...."The eagle likely mistook the toddler for a rabbit, marmot or ground squirrel, its normal prey"

http://uk.news.yahoo...-075738205.html Should have gone to specsavers...

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Id be sending that to funniest home videos. Might be worth a grand or ten.

An animal will eat a human if it is able to, why is that so hard for people to understand?

Dont worry you can chase down those animals that have your child with a....................CAMERA

• Like 1

Wow. That kid was very lucky the eagle could have scratched his eyes out or something. Not funny at all imo....that is if it's genuine. I notice in the media they're not sure if it is or not.

I think theres a possibility it was 'maybe' staged....I mean you dont see eagles every day and rarely round people, and the guy 'just happened' to be filming it.... I can understand this may happen for real if the child was alone, but with others so close to him/her....well Im not sure the bird was so wild to start with to be comfortable enough to fly down to them

It swoops down like a trained bird would land on the owners glove.... and could have picked up a dummy... coz the camera doesnt maintain filiming, you suddenly see the grass as the camera man runs over... that could have been time for the switch over?

Plus as has been pointed out above, its talons 'would' have possibly caused bloodshed

• Like 1

As I posted in the other thread regarding this same issue, I looked up the lifting capacity of an eagle and a toddler is well beyond their lifting capacity.

• Like 1

This is on regular news here . As per PIX 11 news in nyc ,this is not fake at all,and the mother gave info as to the child's condition .

The baby was a bit bruised ,but unharmed .

The baby was probably dropped because it was too heavy to lift,but the bird gave it the old college try .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

As I posted in the other thread regarding this same issue, I looked up the lifting capacity of an eagle and a toddler is well beyond their lifting capacity.

Don't tell that to the Mongols: they hunt wolves with these birds. That's not the same as lifting them, but a wolve is somewhat larger than a toddler.

And in Africa there is a martial eagle that is known to have attacked and sometimes taken and killed small children.

In the Amazon we have the harpy eagle which is the Mike Tyson amongst eagles. I will bet a toddler could be its prey when left unattended.

• Like 1

Wow. That kid was very lucky the eagle could have scratched his eyes out or something. Not funny at all imo....that is if it's genuine. I notice in the media they're not sure if it is or not.

it looks real enough, but i wonder why the guy with the camera is so calm about it when the eagle grabs the child. it's like a casual oh **** rather than a more expected OMG!!

• Like 1

it looks real enough, but i wonder why the guy with the camera is so calm about it when the eagle grabs the child. it's like a casual oh **** rather than a more expected OMG!!

Maybe he didn't immediately realize what he was watching through the viewer of his camera, and when he did he said "Oh sh1t" because he wasn't religious enough to say OMG!

I never say OMG when something bad suddenly happens.

Maybe he didn't immediately realize what he was watching through the viewer of his camera, and when he did he said "Oh sh1t" because he wasn't religious enough to say OMG!

I never say OMG when something bad suddenly happens.

it was more his tone than what he said. i never say 'omg' either. it's harder to say than oh my gawd . lol

• Like 1

How awful and terrifying! Even if it didn't carry the child off it could have easily punctured the child's lungs with its talons (probably his winter clothes protected him), not to mention the child could have fallen from much higher up. Very lucky child. It would have been a gruesome death.

Why would a bird like this go after a child I wonder? Loss of food sources or habitat? Eagles have amazing vision and the child was not covered in feathers or fur or even skin.

I am so glad the guy stopped filming and ran to help.

I would not have believed this if I didn't see it. And I will not be buying those cute animal hats for the kids my family. I am assuming the eagle thought the child was something like a rabbit.

If we lived with these events happening often, we would not be arguing against owning a gun. Imagine living with a daily fear of animals.

Edited by me-wonders

Transferred from the other thread.........

Hmmm. I don't have enough expertise to form an opinion on the authenticity from a technical POV, but unless I'm very much mistaken, that 'eagle' is in fact the US subspecies of Osprey ( Pandion haliaetus carolinensis). So unless that kid smelled very strongly of fish, I doubt whether the bird would be interested! The image of the bird (if it is indeed an Osprey) would have had to be enlarged somewhat - because whatever takes that child looks bigger than a Harpy eagle!

So, from a falconer's POV - I go with fake.

• Like 2

I think it happened too fast,and he just wanted to film the bird . It also probably wasn't his kid .

I think it happened too fast,and he just wanted to film the bird . It also probably wasn't his kid .

still it's something you don't see every day! i don't think it's a fake video - doesn't seem to be anyway

Transferred from the other thread.........

Hmmm. I don't have enough expertise to form an opinion on the authenticity from a technical POV, but unless I'm very much mistaken, that 'eagle' is in fact the US subspecies of Osprey ( Pandion haliaetus carolinensis). So unless that kid smelled very strongly of fish, I doubt whether the bird would be interested! The image of the bird (if it is indeed an Osprey) would have had to be enlarged somewhat - because whatever takes that child looks bigger than a Harpy eagle!

So, from a falconer's POV - I go with fake.

Yeh I was thinking the kid looked like a doll the way it was sat upright...heres a page of stills, looky for yourselves every peeps!

EDIT: my bad, wrong link posted...now corrected, so here are the stills

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250416/Terrifying-moment-golden-eagle-swooped-snatched-toddler-played-park.html

It mentions a youtuber analysed it and...he says its cgi as shadows are missing in some frames..

Edited by seeder

Yeh I was thinking the kid looked like a doll the way it was sat upright...heres a page of stills, looky for yourselves every peeps!

http://news.softpedi...ke-316099.shtml

It mentions a youtuber analysed it and...he says its cgi as shadows are missing in some frames..

it seems the kid moves his head just before the eagle grabs him tho

also, i've seen someone thrown off a horse and yeah they bounce just like that. not saying that means it's real, just that it looks like a natural way for someone to fall and hit the ground based on my experience