Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guy Hacks into NASA and Pentagon Computers

stevemagegod

Read/watch all the interviews, he didn't break into them, he exploited idiotic officials that lack the basic skills to have a password or two. You wouldn't leave a credit card lying around with no signature on the card or no pin. so why would you do it to "TOP SECRET" files/folders. I think they jumped up so much because a person that is "mentally challenge" bent them over which hurts anyone's pride let alone hurting the pride of several government officials.

I agree, why the admins of the system are not hanging by their toes is indeed a bit if a mystery, but I guess they have a sacrifice already? It's not like McKinnon is not guilty, but they did make it pretty easy for him. Laughable to think this act makes some think of him as some sort of master hacker, most business people use that very software every day. Maybe he is coping the brunt for everyone because he was first? I do not doubt that he is being made an example of, I just do not think it is surprising, or that his UFO nonsense carries an ounce of sense.

• Like 1

I believe Gary Mckinnon's story. People covering things up were caught with their pants down. What's cool is Gary Mckinnon got away with it which is a big F U to the United States Government and that's a big plus IMO.

Hrrmzz, how many years has he been sweating his backside off? What lengths has he gone to to stay the case in his home country? How has he been living for the last few years? What fears has he gone to bed with every night? In then end he may well spend time in a British prison as opposed to the worst the US has to offer.

No IT company with an ounce of sense would touch him with a ten foot pole when he does get out of a British prison, and with his restrictions, his skills today are probably as useful as the proverbials on a bull.

Gee, showed them didn't he. Take that Uncle Sam.

Let's review Gary McKinnon's description of the UFO and see how it compares to what others observe:

"A NASA photographic expert said that there was a Building 8 at Johnson Space Center where they regularly airbrushed out images of UFOs from the high-resolution satellite imaging. I logged on to NASA and was able to access this department. They had huge, high-resolution images stored in their picture files. They had filtered and unfiltered, or processed and unprocessed, files.

My dial up 56K connection was very slow trying to download one of these picture files. As this was happening, I had remote control of their desktop, and by adjusting it to 4-bit color and low screen resolution, I was able to briefly see one of these pictures. It was a silvery, cigar-shaped object with geodesic spheres on either side. There were no visible seams or riveting. There was no reference to the size of the object and the picture was taken presumably by a satellite looking down on it. The object didn't look manmade or anything like what we have created. Because I was using a Java application, I could only get a screen shot of the picture -- it did not go into my temporary internet files. At my crowning moment, someone at NASA discovered what I was doing and I was disconnected." -- Gary McKinnon

"It was a silvery, cigar-shaped object with geodesic spheres on either side. There were no visible seams or riveting."

Common description in Cigar-shape UFO reports:

• Metallic
  • No seams/riveting
  • Portholes/row of light

UFO Cases Catalog: Cigar

Source: http://www.ufoeviden...p?section=Cigar

National UFO Reporting Center: CIGAR

Source: http://www.nuforc.or.../ndxsCigar.html

formeo13-1.jpg

Recent cases:

MUFON Case #37893

Cylinder_UFO-1-SW.jpg

Cylinder_UFO-2-SW.jpg

I think this is a dead giveaway:

Common description in Cigar-shape UFO reports:

He frequented UFO forums before being arrested. He picked a common figure that many people "would have heard of". And probably the first thing that came to his head.

Back some years I worked at an "elite" golf club for 20 years.

One of our members at that time was a retired FBI special agent.

Anyway, I took the time one day to gently ask him if he had ever seen or been made aware of anything really strange during his carreer regarding regarding ET UFO's or the paranormal.

He put on a big smile on his face and said "Yeah"

He did not elaborate, and I got the immediate impression that he did not want to elaborate. So, I did not ask him more, and he went off golfing.

There are lots of people just like him. I know because I've met them myself.

I once met a general who told me that ETs were here--which I already knew--and basically said that the public was just too uneducated and hysterical to understand these things.

The FBI was running its own UFO investigation for years as was the Army, and whenever there were reports of some type of UFO landing or crash, they were called in. I've seen some of these documents myself.

Imaginative theory...if perhaps a bit too contrived. One wonders if you're trying so hard to offer some semblance of logic but instead come off sounding loony.

Kinda hard to portray McKinnon as a confabulator of elaborate fantasy when he's also described by NASA as the most dangerous hacker of all time, don't you think?

Most dangerous? No, I think you misunderstand very very much. He has done the most public damage. He was not dangerous, he just tossed ethics aside, callous maybe, thoughtless yes, dangerous, no.

He was a frequenter of UFO forums before this incident, and for some years I understand. He had many sources to draw upon, and it seems quite reasonable that Hares claims were part of his inspiration. I feel several influences could be drawn from his claims.

As I said, there were many people here in the US petitioning on his behalf, including me. I wrote to the Attorney General on his behalf saying that many of us behind the scenes had long ago concluded that the public should be given the information about UFOs and ETs.

For that reason, I have never believed what he did was a crime, since I do not think it should be illegal to disclose information on this subject. I have done so myself, more than once.

Most dangerous? No, I think you misunderstand very very much. He has done the most public damage. He was not dangerous, he just tossed ethics aside, callous maybe, thoughtless yes, dangerous, no.

He was a frequenter of UFO forums before this incident, and for some years I understand. He had many sources to draw upon, and it seems quite reasonable that Hares claims were part of his inspiration. I feel several influences could be drawn from his claims.

I don't think he's unethical or that he did anything wrong at all, as I have said many times.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

He also has friends over here who work (or once worked) for Uncle Sam, including me, although I doubt that he will ever know who we are.

He wouldn't have had any such friends at all if we thought he had been a threat to national security or was giving away classified defense information, but since he just wants to publicize information about UFOs and ETs, well I think you realize by now that there is a large pro-disclosure faction within the government and we want people to know the truth.

We think it was always a mistake to keep this secret or even to try to do so. It's too important to be kept secret.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

As I said, there were many people here in the US petitioning on his behalf, including me. I wrote to the Attorney General on his behalf saying that many of us behind the scenes had long ago concluded that the public should be given the information about UFOs and ETs.

But he does not have any. He has a claim that he thinks he has seen something that he reckons is related to the subject. He has nothing but stories we have already heard before.

For that reason, I have never believed what he did was a crime, since I do not think it should be illegal to disclose information on this subject. I have done so myself, more than once.

I don't think he's unethical or that he did anything wrong at all, as I have said many times.

That is because he appealed to your weak point, the one thing the keeps you coming back here and he said exactly what you have been hoping to hear. I do not deny that you have seen things that warrant your strong advocation, but McKinnon has nothing. And what he does have is old hat.

You cannot see this from an IT point of view, that is why you cannot see the ethical issue. What he did is simply break and enter vandalise and then BS his way through court. I disagree with you, and will never advocate crime, and by all definitions of the law, that is the only way to describe his actions.

There is no excuse to break and enter. Lying about it does not soften the crime.

He also has friends over here who work (or once worked) for Uncle Sam, including me, although I doubt that he will ever know who we are.

It did not help him a great deal. Did anyone actually think he really was going to go to Guantanamo? Everyone knew the threats were harsh, and that was obviously the point of them. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke IMHO. In the end, he lived i fear for years. He will not be so cheeky again. He will have to rely on his UFO stories to the tabloids to survive now that he is not much use to the IT industry.

I am just sorry you do not have the IT skills to see through his blatant BS.

Edited by psyche101

It did not help him a great deal. Did anyone actually think he really was going to go to Guantanamo? Everyone knew the threats were harsh, and that was obviously the point of them. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke IMHO. In the end, he lived i fear for years. He will not be so cheeky again. He will have to rely on his UFO stories to the tabloids to survive now that he is not much use to the IT industry.

I am just sorry you do not have the IT skills to see through his blatant BS.

I think it did help him a great deal, especially in fending off extradition and finally in getting all charges dropped. My impression is that the Obama administration never really intended to pursue this case at all and just quietly shelved it after the 2012 election.

Of course, I do not have any hostility towards him and I do not believe that coming down on him harshly is going to stop others from telling what they know about UFOs and ETs.

But he does not have any. He has a claim that he thinks he has seen something that he reckons is related to the subject. He has nothing but stories we have already heard before.

That is because he appealed to your weak point, the one thing the keeps you coming back here and he said exactly what you have been hoping to hear. I do not deny that you have seen things that warrant your strong advocation, but McKinnon has nothing. And what he does have is old hat.

You cannot see this from an IT point of view, that is why you cannot see the ethical issue.

He did not tell me anything that I hadn't already known about for years, at least in general if not always in detail.

I've known all along that NASA has been keeping two sets of books when it comes to UFOs, that there was a secret military space program before NASA existed, and that UFOs and space defense were already an important national security issue going back to the 1940s.

I would go even further and say that when it comes to UFOs and ETs, just about everyone has been keeping two sets of books for decades, but the public only has glimpses of the real one. LOL

In then end he may well spend time in a British prison as opposed to the worst the US has to offer.

No IT company with an ounce of sense would touch him with a ten foot pole when he does get out of a British prison,

He doesn't have any charges to answer over here psyche, he's a free man now.

He doesn't have any charges to answer over here psyche, he's a free man now.

I didn't realise the entire situation was resolved, the link eft by Synch said:

“The prospects of a conviction against Mr McKinnon which reflects the full extent of his alleged criminality are not high.”

Is the entire matter resolved?

When the article said:

Mr McKinnon's lawyer Karen Todner said: "I have mixed feelings about this – I am pleased he is not going to be prosecuted because I wouldn't want to think he would ever spend any time in prison given his mental situation.

I thought that might indicate the possibility that he could serve time in a lesser institution a mental institution or the like perhaps?

I didn't realise the entire situation was resolved, the link eft by Synch said:

Is the entire matter resolved?

When the article said:

I thought that might indicate the possibility that he could serve time in a lesser institution a mental institution or the like perhaps?

All they are doing when they say “The prospects of a conviction against Mr McKinnon which reflects the full extent of his alleged criminality are not high.” is finding a polite way of saying that this would get laughed out of court. As they have no intention of pursuing a court case then it's over, he's a free man. You can't drop criminal proceedings against someone in regards to an alleged crime, then cart them off to the funny farm under the same charges, you either prosecute or you don't - the court then decides whether you go to prison or another institute.

Anyone Suprised ?

It was a brand new installation of Windows with and unprotected admin account. Any person in the world could have gone the the Microsoft Website, downloaded the free remote access client, logged into NASA, typed in ADMINISTRATOR and used a blank password. Just like logging onto any Windows system except I doubt too many people still have a blank admin account.

Yeah, child's play really. That's why I keep pointing a finger back at Bill Gates and wondering why he is not at all implicated. I am sure NASA paid a pretty penny for a personalised system. I think that NASA should be able to sue Microsoft as well as lock up McKinnon.

There aren't maybe too many people having a blank admin account nowadays, but i reckon, from what you said, that breaking in the software of windows would be a piece of cake for someone, who knows how to handle computers' systems. Man, that's why i prefer Apple!!

It is not lost when you have the sole person responsible. What is the difference between deleting something, or taking it and using it up?

There is a huge difference.

If it's deleted it has been erased. The only term suitable for that is vandalism. Not Theft.

But if they weren't intelligent enough to add proper security then it's their fault as well.

On the internet companies are held liable if peoples data is stolen or erased. They are in charge of security. The person who did it is not held liable. This is how the internet works.

If they even had a little intelligence they would have hired the guy to help them sort it out.

Edited by Coffey

• 2 weeks later...

your my hero bro!!!someone will spill the beans lol if the government don't come clean and finally say and reveal the truth.the government will either come clean finally or the UFOs and E.Ts will show themselves and the u.s government will look really bad and loose the respect of the american people.dear NASA and government respect and trust is earned not given.and i'm talking about real respect and trust not fake trust then back stab the american people in the back later.please america people please wise and learn don't be easily deceived and lied to by NASA AND THE GOVERNMENT!!!the mainstream media is corrupt and controlled.its a very poor source and corrupt source of news and only spread fear!!!the government ain't so loving and caring believe me people.

All they are doing when they say “The prospects of a conviction against Mr McKinnon which reflects the full extent of his alleged criminality are not high.” is finding a polite way of saying that this would get laughed out of court. As they have no intention of pursuing a court case then it's over, he's a free man. You can't drop criminal proceedings against someone in regards to an alleged crime, then cart them off to the funny farm under the same charges, you either prosecute or you don't - the court then decides whether you go to prison or another institute.

You are dead right.

The prospects of a conviction against Mr McKinnon which reflects the full extent of his alleged criminality are not high. "None of the reasons for the original decision in 2002 that the appropriate place for Mr McKinnon to be tried was the United States have altered. So far as the evidence is concerned, the position in 2012 is the same as it was in 2002. Most of the witnesses are in the US, as is nearly all the physical evidence and the bulk of the unused material, some of which is sensitive.

I guess it depends on the definition of Free Man, he is in the UK, but that is because all of the evidence lies on US soil, and he has pretty much outright threatened to kill himself if he goes to the states. He can not visit the US. They do not seem all that happy about it either. I kinda hope it backfires on him, and he is considered a threat to himself and he is locked up, the would seem poetic justice.

There aren't maybe too many people having a blank admin account nowadays, but i reckon, from what you said, that breaking in the software of windows would be a piece of cake for someone, who knows how to handle computers' systems. Man, that's why i prefer Apple!!

I reckon you would be surprised. Many people do not take security seriously. Always something that happens to someone else.

I am with you on that one. :tu: I rather like Apple products, great support too.

Edited by psyche101

There is a huge difference.

If it's deleted it has been erased. The only term suitable for that is vandalism. Not Theft.

Well I call Tomato Tomatoe. In the end, the result for both is that it is gone, isn't it?

But if they weren't intelligent enough to add proper security then it's their fault as well.

On the internet companies are held liable if peoples data is stolen or erased. They are in charge of security. The person who did it is not held liable. This is how the internet works.

Agreed, however, you do realise that Governments are a major client and do not deal with "Joe's Computer Supplies" on the local corner? They have direct deals with MS, and have special versions built for them. They look very much the same but with some tweaks. That means Billy is the man they are looking at, and he has more money than they do. Probably not too sensible to take him to court and accuse him of not installing his own product properly, when they won't know his product, and signed a disclaimer that they do not own the software, but merely buying the rights to use it. Billy can sue their behinds right off if they pull Windows apart to prove their own case. Look at the disclaimer.

1. LIMITATION ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Product, except and only to the extent that it is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

2. TERMINATION. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may cancel this EULA if you do not abide by the terms and conditions of this EULA, in which case you must destroy all copies of the Product and all of its component parts.

If they even had a little intelligence they would have hired the guy to help them sort it out.

You have to remember it was a new technology, Windows 2000 days. There was, and still is, a lot of people who have right clicked a dozen items and call themselves an admin. Bill Gates took away our need to understand a computer, that is why I am grateful to have a UNIX background. The guys did eventually sort it out, they tracked an arrested him. He squirmed out by threatening to kill himself if he had to face justice and put the UK in an awkward position by taking advantage of a great many people.

your my hero bro!!!someone will spill the beans lol if the government don't come clean and finally say and reveal the truth.the government will either come clean finally or the UFOs and E.Ts will show themselves and the u.s government will look really bad and loose the respect of the american people.dear NASA and government respect and trust is earned not given.and i'm talking about real respect and trust not fake trust then back stab the american people in the back later.please america people please wise and learn don't be easily deceived and lied to by NASA AND THE GOVERNMENT!!!the mainstream media is corrupt and controlled.its a very poor source and corrupt source of news and only spread fear!!!the government ain't so loving and caring believe me people.

131393015058.jpeg

I reckon you would be surprised. Many people do not take security seriously. Always something that happens to someone else.

I am with you on that one. :tu: I rather like Apple products, great support too.

Don't know though whether Apple's or Linux's operating pc system is better, but still Apple is one of the most admirable companies out there :yes: Edited by CuriousGreek

Don't know though whether Apple's or Linux's operating pc system is better, but still Apple is one of the most admirable companies out there :yes:

As far as Operating Systems go, FreeBSD is the hardest to beat IMHO. Apple OS was based on it. Berkley Software Distribution. Those guys really know their stuff. LINUX I do not like so much because there is so many flavours, and your systems might end up with a patch written by some 12 year old. It's OK, but compared to BSD, it is like driving a 4 cylinder after driving a V8. I also like the philosophy. They give you the system for free, but want you to hire one of their students to set the system up for you. Money going to young people in need of work, not one man. But if one is willing to learn, it is for anyone free. Just a fair sized manual to read! But it is easy to install these days.

But yes, Apple don't just garner the market, they change it. I like that, and it is something Windows still have not accomplished. Apples phones have bridged some very large gaps, and they do it well. They even had a phone way back that could play music, and a home entertainment computer based system. Much better than MS BOB LOL.

• Like 1

As far as Operating Systems go, FreeBSD is the hardest to beat IMHO. Apple OS was based on it. Berkley Software Distribution. Those guys really know their stuff. LINUX I do not like so much because there is so many flavours, and your systems might end up with a patch written by some 12 year old. It's OK, but compared to BSD, it is like driving a 4 cylinder after driving a V8. I also like the philosophy. They give you the system for free, but want you to hire one of their students to set the system up for you. Money going to young people in need of work, not one man. But if one is willing to learn, it is for anyone free. Just a fair sized manual to read! But it is easy to install these days.

But yes, Apple don't just garner the market, they change it. I like that, and it is something Windows still have not accomplished. Apples phones have bridged some very large gaps, and they do it well. They even had a phone way back that could play music, and a home entertainment computer based system. Much better than MS BOB LOL.

No need to disagree with that! :yes: Hail Apple :nw: