Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hitchhiker leaps to safety from moving van

glorybebe

A hitchhiker says she jumped out of a moving van on Christmas Eve as it slowed to cross a bridge in B.C. when the man who picked her up made her uncomfortable, and now police in New Hazelton are looking for the driver....

After talking to the driver for a few minutes, the woman became uncomfortable and asked the driver to pull over.

When he refused, she jumped out an open window in the van as it slowed down to cross a bridge....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/12/28/bc-hitchhiker-jump.html

After the Highway of Tears, this is kinds scary, but maybe it will point the police in a direction they need. Hopefully it wasn't just a creepy guy who actually didn't have evil intentions.

It's a shame the world is becoming so much UNsafer. I used to hitch hike all the time in the 60's ... no problem . Met a lot of people,* had a lot of fun & got where i was going! ..* no one harmed me... back then :)

(phew, i sound old lol)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

It's a shame the world is becoming so much UNsafer. I used to hitch hike all the time in the 60's ... no problem . Met a lot of people,* had a lot of fun & got where i was going! ..* no one harmed me... back then :)

(phew, i sound old lol)

No, sounds like you just enjoyed weed. :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

we did! !* lol

• Like 3

we did! !* lol

Yeah, I know, me too.

Those were the days! (I was born in the Sixties)

Could get together, or travel with total strangers and have a good time(always some exceptions, of course) But mostly all was peaceful.

I wouldn't even think of doing it these days with all those weirdos out there.

• Like 2

Yeah, I know, me too.

Those were the days! (I was born in the Sixties)

Could get together, or travel with total strangers and have a good time(always some exceptions, of course) But mostly all was peaceful.

I wouldn't even think of doing it these days with all those weirdos out there.

I was born in the year Nineteen Hundred and Fifty Two ... haha! ya , i guess weirdos were different then. Yup, it was mostly peace man this and far out that! lol

in general .. it wasn't groovy to hurt someone. :P

• Like 2

I was born in the year Nineteen Hundred and Fifty Two ... haha! ya , i guess weirdos were different then. Yup, it was mostly peace man this and far out that! lol

Yeah, I miss those days.

• Like 1

What the hell happened to society? why couldn't it have stayed this way?

• Like 1

No one should hitchhike ever, or pick up hitchhikers. Either one could be a murderer!

Wass wrong with hitchhiking... in memory of my hippy days I still pick up people... and if time for me to go.. then so be it.

Like the kid says...: Dad the sixties and the seventies were great, to bad you remenber only couple hours of it.

What the hell happened to society? why couldn't it have stayed this way?

Greed happen... hippy movement was bought out by big money... Ideas were sold instead of being shared for free, music became "Labels" and the concept was lost except in the memories of a few.

Wass wrong with hitchhiking... in memory of my hippy days I still pick up people... and if time for me to go.. then so be it.

There's nothing wrong with it, but when you can end up being murdered for it, yeah, I'd hang up my hitchhiking coat.

Hopefully it wasn't just a creepy guy who actually didn't have evil intentions.

Actually, hopefully it was so there isn't some dangerous guy looming about. I doubt it though since she was desperate enough to hitchhike yet felt it was a good idea to jump out the window.

Does one pull over on a bridge or wait till they are accross the bridge. Not sure there was a crime here.

Does one pull over on a bridge or wait till they are accross the bridge. Not sure there was a crime here.

You know, you're right. I was thinking here is a hitchhiker who goes to the cops and says the guy who gave her a lift was being creepy. Suddenly there's news story, a public alert about this guy and resourcees are dedicated to it? All because he made her uncomfortable? I hate when stories are this vague. He refused to pull over, gasp, alert the public.

You know, you're right. I was thinking here is a hitchhiker who goes to the cops and says the guy who gave her a lift was being creepy. Suddenly there's news story, a public alert about this guy and resourcees are dedicated to it? All because he made her uncomfortable? I hate when stories are this vague. He refused to pull over, gasp, alert the public.

Actually, when a passenger asks to "pull over and let me out" and the driver does not, that's illegal confinement.

And, to make matters potentially worse, if the two did not previously know each other, and the driver refuses to let the passenger out at any time, that could be legally construed as kidnapping.

Of course, in this case we're talking about only one person's word against another without witnesses to anything truly wrong. For all anyone knows, she could have been messed-up on drugs, paranoid, etc.

If the police ever do find the driver, they have a right and obligation to question him, but certainly not to arrest him unless he say's something incriminating.

I'm no lawyer(yuck if I ever was!) but just stating my gut-feelings on this case.

• Like 2

Actually, when a passenger asks to "pull over and let me out" and the driver does not, that's illegal confinement.

And, to make matters potentially worse, if the two did not previously know each other, and the driver refuses to let the passenger out at any time, that could be legally construed as kidnapping.

Of course, in this case we're talking about only one person's word against another without witnesses to anything truly wrong. For all anyone knows, she could have been messed-up on drugs, paranoid, etc.

If the police ever do find the driver, they have a right and obligation to question him, but certainly not to arrest him unless he say's something incriminating.

I'm no lawyer(yuck if I ever was!) but just stating my gut-feelings on this case.

Yes, totally agree with that. The other part, if there hadn't been so many deaths in that area then maybe she wouldn't have reacted that way.

• Like 1

meh I still hitchhike when I get bored, you meet a lot of interesting people. Seems kind of silly running to the cops though after you willingly got in to somebody's car for being creepy. I'd be a little wary and cautious(which may come off as creepy)as well if I was being nice and picking somebody off the side of the road. Isn't stopping on a bridge a stupid thing to do anyway since you could potentially block it off and cause a disturbance to traffic? (Hell I know for a fact it's a law that you can't here)

meh I still hitchhike when I get bored, you meet a lot of interesting people. Seems kind of silly running to the cops though after you willingly got in to somebody's car for being creepy. I'd be a little wary and cautious(which may come off as creepy)as well if I was being nice and picking somebody off the side of the road. Isn't stopping on a bridge a stupid thing to do anyway since you could potentially block it off and cause a disturbance to traffic? (Hell I know for a fact it's a law that you can't here)

OK, MR. Jinxdom...first of all you are a male, in this area http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Tears_murders there have been many female murders and missing women. So, yeah, if this woman was picked up and the driver refused to let her out, then she was not over reacting IMO. There have been two serial killers already attached to this area, and one more that is being investigated. Maybe if more people were ready to believe or at least take into consideration that there is/was danger rather than poo-poo everything, there would be less missing women and children. If you look at Robert Pickton ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton, then you would see that so many people just pshawed the accusations. So many lives would have been saved if people would have taken these women's stories seriously. Maybe that is exactly why the police have released this story.