Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Laws Vs. Homicides By State

Dredimus

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

You know what? When you can be rational and respectful, then I'll continue the discussion with you. All you are is a pouting child who cant bear someone else's differing opinion, so you resort to calling them names. Yes, I must "hate liberty" because I dont agree with you. :rolleyes: Incidentally, this is exactly the ridiculous american obsession with guns that the rest of the world talks about. Any talk about guns results in the most disrespectful response. Anyone who doesnt want more guns everywhere easily accessible seems to be a liberty hating tyrant. Talk about mental disease.

As for the statistics, I'll leave you to argue with Harvard http://www.hsph.harv...eath/index.html

I wasn't referring to you specifically but now I will because it sure sounds like you hate liberty to me when it's a liberty practiced by someone else that you don't agree with.

The rest of the world can kiss my ass. They have no authority here. European know it alls twice saved by the US ought to shut up and emulate, not run their mouths till they blow the world up in war yet again.

Do you love liberty? Then love our right to preserve it.

• Like 2

I wasn't referring to you specifically but now I will because it sure sounds like you hate liberty to me when it's a liberty practiced by someone else that you don't agree with.

The rest of the world can kiss my ass. They have no authority here. European know it alls twice saved by the US ought to shut up and emulate, not run their mouths till they blow the world up in war yet again.

Touchy :w00t:

Br Cornelius

This is the post of the week.

I actually don't own a gun. I use a dog instead. But I would quickly yell out if there was a burgler downstairs at night that, "I have a gun up here and I've called the police!". Police statistics say that issuing such a challenge almost always chases intruders away. Millions of home invasions per year are ended this way.

This would tend to disprove the "need" for "home protection" as a reason for having a gun then, right?

Which leaves the hilarious notion that you can challenge police and military with your gun. Maybe in the 18th century.

The hell with Osama bin Laden...

l.jpg

This is so true...the enemy is within, and imo one of our worst enemies is the national debt/deficit.

• Like 1

This would tend to disprove the "need" for "home protection" as a reason for having a gun then, right?

Which leaves the hilarious notion that you can challenge police and military with your gun. Maybe in the 18th century.

Yes. Because yelling, "I have a gun" is so much more believable when the civilian body has been disarmed...

You dispute that citizens with handguns can challenge a military? What about Libya... Syria... Afghanistan?? Those people basically all have small arms and have either successfully rebeled, or continuing to rebel for years. Not being able to challege the military is ignorant. Unless the military conducts a campaign of genecide. Is that what you are suggesting is that if the military took over, they would just genecide the public to gain control, and factories and industry be damned?

• Like 1

Where is Alaska in all of this?.....They have the loosest gun laws.

you will find that, while every army reserve person has his assault rifle and/or ordinance pistol and one clip at home that is to be returned after the service ends, the possession of private weapons is not as easy as you would think.

Among others it contains following passages:

Citizens from South European countries are banned from possessing any kind of weapon.

For the purchase of a weapon you need consent from the police (exception is only .22 rifles)

The law for weapons has been extended to "dangerous implements", that include kitchen knifes and clubs, and they cannot be carried overt or concealed.

Munitions are only allowed to those who have a license to purchase a gun, and only for that type of gun

To buy a gun you need a reason, without a reason you cannot and you can only buy a gun of a type you have a reason to posses.

Shooting out of shooting stands or hunting areal during season is prohibited.

and on, and on, and on.

Switzerland has around 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes. So huge private militias loaded with assault rifles are good for gun crime rates.

So having a private militia with assault rifles everywhere is okay so long as it's regulated by the police afterwards, and thank heavens for that, as the same people not committing gun crimes with their assault rifles for all those years won't be trustworthy later in life since older age causes lower trustworthiness.

What is the basis for your approval of huge private militias packing full-auto assault weapons? Are soldiers and reserve soldiers more psychologically sound? Do they have doctors administering evaluations first? Are they less likely to present a threat to their governments if they're receiving welfare?

What are we approving here? Tacit approval that police are trustworthy to surrender our rights to? No such thing as a bad cop, and no such thing as a good private citizen? Stop letting government determine for you who should have a gun and who can't.

• Like 2

Switzerland has around 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes. So huge private militias loaded with assault rifles are good for gun crime rates.

So having a private militia with assault rifles everywhere is okay so long as it's regulated by the police afterwards, and thank heavens for that, as the same people not committing gun crimes with their assault rifles for all those years won't be trustworthy later in life since older age causes lower trustworthiness.

I think the difference between Switzerland and the US is that everyone is forced to do military service in Switzerland and thus is trained and knows their responibililties.

• Like 1

Thank you....

Wow, Alaska is way down the list.....And as said, they have the loosest gun laws in the Nation.

So much for less guns = less homocides.

Only one small problem with your logic, looser gun laws not equal to more guns. While Alaska has many more hunting guns per person then California you will find many less handguns.

• Like 1

Thank you....

Wow, Alaska is way down the list.....And as said, they have the loosest gun laws in the Nation.

Guns don't kill people.... Urban areas kill people.

• Like 3

Thank you....

I don't even know what to say about this reasoning.

I don't even know what to say about this reasoning.

That the numbers speak for themselves?

Facts speak for themselves?

It is not reasoning, it is fact.

• Like 1

You dispute that citizens with handguns can challenge a military? What about Libya... Syria... Afghanistan??

Not "a" military. The US military. Those places are not the US where we spend more on the military than nearly all countries on earth combined. Certainly in backward 3rd world countries, citizens with handguns can challenge a military.

Stop letting government determine for you who should have a gun and who can't.

because people completely (or even marginally) unhinged should be able to have a gun? I don't think so. In fact, being unhinged is not very far from normal so that potentially means a lot of people that should NOT have guns.

because people completely (or even marginally) unhinged should be able to have a gun? I don't think so. In fact, being unhinged is not very far from normal so that potentially means a lot of people that should NOT have guns.

Who determines what "even marginally unhinged" means? You? Don't flatter yourself. When the government proves itself the least bit capable of treating mental illness with parity to physical illness your argument will just begin to make some sense. When the government proves itself the least bit responsible for the use of its own guns, your bottomless vessel of trust will just begin to be deserved.

• Like 1

Only one small problem with your logic, looser gun laws not equal to more guns. While Alaska has many more hunting guns per person then California you will find many less handguns.

So now only handguns are the problem and people should have the right to bear more "hunting" guns. Got it.

While you're making claims like this as if you have the state-to-state data on handguns, provide a link.

• Like 1

Who determines what "even marginally unhinged" means? You? Don't flatter yourself. When the government proves itself the least bit capable of treating mental illness with parity to physical illness your argument will just begin to make some sense. When the government proves itself the least bit responsible for the use of its own guns, your bottomless vessel of trust will just begin to be deserved.

who said anything about government treatment? One aspect of gun control would be all purchasers checked against a no-guns list - maintained by government but reported by health professionals.

So now only handguns are the problem and people should have the right to bear more "hunting" guns. Got it.

While you're making claims like this as if you have the state-to-state data on handguns, provide a link.

Twist a lot?

But I am not surprised.

And here you have the data on background checks performed by state, as I said Alaska has less handguns:

Screen+Shot+2012-12-15+at+5.01.49+PM.png

In fact, in California ten times as many handguns were purchased than in Alaska.

In fact, in California ten times as many handguns were purchased than in Alaska.

Questionmark,

Population of California - 37,691,912

Population of Alaska - 722,718

You can not use " total numbers "........How could you not know this?

That is why originally, the numbers given were " per capita "....

That should be extremelly embarrassing for you, and I was very happy to point it out....

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

I think the difference between Switzerland and the US is that everyone is forced to do military service in Switzerland and thus is trained and knows their responibililties.

So the government forcing people to do something makes everything okay? Is it the lack of training that's really at issue here now? What is the real basis for correctness here anyway?

• Like 1