Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serial Killer of Trees in Japan

Simbi Laveau

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/12/29/serial-tree-killer-on-the-loose-in-western-japan-14-sacred-trees-poisoned-so-far/

Sacred trees are found dotting shrines ,all over Japan .

They are old and huge. Some can be up to 1000 years old .

These trees are called goshinboku ,and can be identified by the ornate ropes wrapped around their trunks .

So far 14 trees have been drilled at their bases,and poisons poured into their trunks.

They have all withered ,and have needed to be cut down .

This is very sad ,and despicable .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

That is a seriously focused and planned bit of vandalism - what an animal, I can't begin to fathom why someone would do that. :hmm:

That is a seriously focused and planned bit of vandalism - what an animal, I can't begin to fathom why someone would do that. :hmm:

The article says probably to get the wood . it would be considered sacred ,and anything made out of it would be sacred ,so the lumber would fetch a high high price .

Even taking away the fact that these trees are sacred, it is despicable to wantonly destroy something like that. 1000+ years for it to get where it is now, and less than a night to destroy it

• Like 1

Poisoned? Sounds like radical Islamic's destroying culture different from their own.

Could be wrong, but they HAVE stated their desire to, and have actually performed, destruction on other non-Islamic cultural items.

Perhaps just a local nut-job. Perhaps a more sinister effort. Hard to tell at this point.

The poisoning it what gets me suspecting.

Poisoned? Sounds like radical Islamic's destroying culture different from their own.

Could be wrong, but they HAVE stated their desire to, and have actually performed, destruction on other non-Islamic cultural items.

Perhaps just a local nut-job. Perhaps a more sinister effort. Hard to tell at this point.

The poisoning it what gets me suspecting.

Well ,there aren't many islamics in Japan . There are Muslim populations ,small . Thing is ,how would they even know the trees are sacred .

Most outsiders don't know this ,and there are so many more things in Japan ,that are more obvious .

Statues of buddha,rock gardens ,shrines themselves .

The trees are not as obvious a target ,to an outsider ...

Dunno. It's a possibility .....but hard to say,especially given they attacked shines in different areas ,and just the trees .

Sounds too organized .

• Like 1

If 'yew' 'ash' me it looks like the work of a deranged carpenter. 'Maple' he wants the wood to make some pricey furniture. If on the other hand it was some religious 'nut' he will be 'rooted' out eventually.

• Like 1

Islamic radicals makes perfect sense, seeing as they are out to destroy the world. Who knows how far this conspiracy has spread :o

• Like 1

If 'yew' 'ash' me it looks like the work of a deranged carpenter. 'Maple' he wants the wood to make some pricey furniture. If on the other hand it was some religious 'nut' he will be 'rooted' out eventually.

How long did you fuss coming up with this one ?

I think sacred trees are mostly one species . I would have to do some research .

How long did you fuss coming up with this one ?

It came to me in a flash. I just couldnt 'leaf' it alone. :P

J

It came to me in a flash. I just couldnt 'leaf' it alone. :P

Talk about (a)corny

Well, maybe they should see who(s) view is improved by the death and subsequent removal of these trees. ;)