Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawaiian Islands Are Dissolving!

Hasina

Hawaiian Island Dissolving from Inside

The volcanic peaks of Oahu, the Hawaiian island where Honolulu sits, are slowly deteriorating from within and the island will eventually become flat and low-lying, new research shows.

But there's no need to worry in the short term: due to geological processes beneath the island it will continue rising for 1.5 million years before the mountain's dissolution catches up with it, according to the study, published recently in the journal Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Rather than being washed away by above-ground erosion, however, the mountain is more quickly breaking down on the inside, said Brigham Young University geologist and co-author Steve Nelson in a statement from the school.

Source: http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/3919-hawaiian-island-dissolving.html

• Like 1

hasina you got me worried there for a second. I thought the islands where disappearing at a rapid rate. phew

• Like 1

This is not new. New Islands will be born and the old will erode. Theres a hot caldera moving beneath Hawaii thats why it is always volcanically active. As this caldera moves beyond the old cools and erodes. Its a dynamic ecosystem. Cool Science. I liked learnin it.

To be technical, the caldera is stationary, and the tectonic plate is moving.

EDIT: And to be more technical, it's more of a hotspot than a caldera.

Edited by socrates.junior
  • Like 1

That's my job, brief rush of a panic with a catchy headline, followed by soothing facts.

LOL.

DID ASTRONOMERS DISCOVER A HUGE PLANET HIDING BEHIND JUPITER??

Reuters - 24 December 2012

No, but biologists did dicsover a very interesting new species of aphis in the Amazonian jungle.

Maybe we should put Lava-Lady on yellow alert.

When i read the title, i wandered ''ARRRRGGGGHHH AND WHERE WOULD I BE GOING FOR MY VACATION????'. But then, i calmed down!!! :lol:

Edited by CuriousGreek

That's my job, brief rush of a panic with a catchy headline, followed by soothing facts.

Tell me the avatar is you, please, I'm panicking. :w00t:

If the islands were to disappear somewhere in the near future, it would most likely go underwater due to an enormous tsunami originating most likely out of an North American earthquake or perhaps caused by a piece of California breaking off and falling into the pacific ocean. Other scenarios could include drastic tectonic plate movements from within the Pacific ocean, nuclear annihilation due to the presence of the Pacific Naval command in Pearl Harbor, and last but not least, an act of god.

When big chunks slip off we get mega tsunamis. Waves the size of multi story buildings.

When big chunks fall off what? I think you mean that when earthquakes occur, we get tsunamis.

When big chunks fall off what? I think you mean that when earthquakes occur, we get tsunamis.

Nop... giant landslides. Possible caused by earthquakes, or simply erosion.

I'm not talking about uplift, it's a different rare phonominon that generates much larger waves than standard tsunamis and has the potential to wipe out cities.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatsunami

"Prehistoric sedimentary deposits on the Kohala Volcano, Lanai and Molokai controversially indicates that landslides from the flank of the Kilauea and Mauna Loa volcanoes in Hawaii may have triggered past megatsunamis, most recently at 120,000 BP.[19][20][21] A future tsunami event is also possible, with the tsunami potentially reaching up to about 1 kilometre (3,300 ft) in height.[22][23] According to a documentary called National Geographic's Ultimate Disaster: Tsunami, if a big landslide occurred at Mauna Loa or the Hilina Slump, a 30 metres (98 ft) tsunami would take only thirty minutes to reach Honolulu, Hawaii. There, hundreds of thousands of people could be killed as the tsunami leveled Honolulu and traveled 25 kilometres (16 mi) inland."

Edited by Seeker79

Soooo earthquakes. Landslides caused by earthquakes. I'm not talking about uplift either.

I suppose I could broaden it out to "tectonic activity" which is what I was going for earlier.