Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese Internet Users To Use Real Names

Still Waters

A new law passed by the Chinese government on Friday will require residents to register their names when signing up for Internet and telephone services, a move experts claim will strengthen the Beijing Communist Party regime’s control over the nation’s 550 million web users.

The new regulations were ratified by the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress and will require individuals to provide their real names when they register for Internet, landline telephone or mobile phone services, various media outlets have reported.

http://www.redorbit....l-names-122912/

Dang, talk about "Big Brother"

But I guess they can do what they want to suppress freedom.

Dang, talk about "Big Brother"

But I guess they can do what they want to suppress freedom.

What freedom is being taken away?

If they arent breaking any laws they have nothing to worry about.

Not like any of us can not be easily traced.....

When I signed up for internet, and phone, I had to give my real name, and billing information.

We all have a IP, and all of us can easily be identified, I do not see what the big fuss is about.

• Like 2

What freedom is being taken away?

If they arent breaking any laws they have nothing to worry about.

Expression of thought no doubt. No freedom of speech.

If you don't agree with the government over there they put you on a watch list. You probe any further and you can get thrown in jail.

The law doesn't exactly conform to what is right.

Wait a second. When I signed up for my internet and phone service, I had to put my real name on it too. Ya know, to pay the bills and all. Do people really put a fake name on their internet or phone service contracts? That sounds criminal to me.

I think pretty much everyone has to give their real name and such already when getting connected to the internet or buying phone service and such.

Expression of thought no doubt. No freedom of speech.

If you don't agree with the government over there they put you on a watch list. You probe any further and you can get thrown in jail.

The law doesn't exactly conform to what is right.

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems. Chinese citizens are not punished for expressing themselves to their community officials and neither do they go on any list. The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead.

If you dont like the way something is run in Austrailia you join a party and campaign for changes. If you start causing problems instead you'd get punished and go on a list their too. Whatever country people live in they must follow and respect their political system to get changes. China does listen to its people and has an open line of communication with every citizen in its country.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 2

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems. Chinese citizens are not punished for expressing themselves to their community officials and neither do they go on any list. The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead.

If you dont like the way something is run in Austrailia you join a party and campaign for changes. If you start causing problems instead you'd get punished and go on a list their too. Whatever country people live in they must follow and respect their political system to get changes. China does listen to its people and has an open line of communication with every citizen in its country.

I didn't know that, quite interesting.

However, the government does probe into the lives of their citizens in China a little too much. Also don't forget the exploitation of their populace to gain the attention through big corporations to switch production to China to help bring it to the big economic hub it is today.

I think the level of surpression is a bit too much you have to agree there. These days when they are looking for a spouse they go to these street hookup places where details such as their income and physical attributes as well as any intellectual ones are noted down on a piece of paper. Is the dehumanisation of the populace not evident right there?

Monitoring and heavily restricting the Internet isn't sounding "big brother" to you?

The reason they support North Korea is because they share similar political standpoints. But take a look at North Korea and China and ask yourself, "Do I want to live there?".

In China your area has an official who comes across every month and asks you what your concerns and problems are. This all gets reported up the chain of command so action can be taken to fix any problems

... and if you say you have any, the next morning someone else is living in your house and you're never heard of again ....

• Like 1

Actually, seriously, I'm not sure whether it means that people would have to use their real names when they post anything online (e.g Twitter or indeed, Forums like this), or just when they sign up with a USP? Surely, as has been remarked, all companies insist on that wherever youa re, don't they, when you sign a contract with them?

I didn't know that, quite interesting.

However, the government does probe into the lives of their citizens in China a little too much. Also don't forget the exploitation of their populace to gain the attention through big corporations to switch production to China to help bring it to the big economic hub it is today.

I think the level of surpression is a bit too much you have to agree there. These days when they are looking for a spouse they go to these street hookup places where details such as their income and physical attributes as well as any intellectual ones are noted down on a piece of paper. Is the dehumanisation of the populace not evident right there?

Monitoring and heavily restricting the Internet isn't sounding "big brother" to you?

The reason they support North Korea is because they share similar political standpoints. But take a look at North Korea and China and ask yourself, "Do I want to live there?".

To gain a true understanding of the situation a person would need to have knowledge of the Chinese political system. The community officials exist and Chinese society is also run a little like a caste system -

1. After two previous generations of law abiding behaviour a person gains automatic membership to the Chinese Communist Party.

2. Performance determines how high they climb.

You cant demonstrate against the government, you cant slander it online and you cant incite others. Change happens by communicating your issues to the community officials. Good behaviour in the past two generations entitles you to engage fully in Chinas political system. Officals are not elected but picked from those with party membership. It isnt fool proof as you still get some corrupt individuals making high up the party ranks (because they have never been caught).

In all countries the citizens must follow. No one goes anywhere by causing problems except to a prison cell. You follow, if you have issues you raise them in the proscribed manner and you respect your political system. A single party democracy listens to its people and involves them all but the state aparatus is different.

I get it as for the telephone services, but why would it be necessary for the internet?

I'm not sure whether it means that people would have to use their real names when they post anything online (e.g Twitter or indeed, Forums like this),

The article does not say this, so I'm not sure what people are going on about really.

I love the way that our media has NEVER mentioned this before. We are always made to believe that China are evil communists. lol

It's like the Gaddafi situation. I didn't actually realise how much he did for Libya and how he helped his people and country more than our government ever would.

I love the way that our media has NEVER mentioned this before. We are always made to believe that China are evil communists. lol

It's like the Gaddafi situation. I didn't actually realise how much he did for Libya and how he helped his people and country more than our government ever would.

You really believe that if anyone has any complaints about the Governement, an Official will come round and make note of those complaints to see how things can be rectified? Doesn't "The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead" sound like the kind of purpose get out clause that Governements always use? Who decides who are " trouble makers who don't follow the prescribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead"? Surely it can be whoever the Government decides that it will be.

You really believe that if anyone has any complaints about the Governement, an Official will come round and make note of those complaints to see how things can be rectified? Doesn't "The people being punished are the trouble makers who dont follow the proscribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead" sound like the kind of purpose get out clause that Governements always use? Who decides who are " trouble makers who don't follow the prescribed methods for redress and who try to subvert the state instead"? Surely it can be whoever the Government decides that it will be.

Exactly. It is happening in the US now. The patriot act, the NDAA, etc. Would someone with a different ideology, someone who sees the government doing something wrong and calling them out of that become an enemy? (in the US, usually they are labelled terrorists as a way of instantly stripping them of their rights).

And if that doesn't work they shoot you and send your family a bill for the bullet (true)

edit to add:

http://ask.metafilter.com/196673/Did-China-ever-actually-send-prisoners-families-a-bill-for-the-bullet

Edited by OverSword