Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity rover finds ‘flower’ on mars

seeder

It does not look like a flower to me either, it looks like bleached white crab shells in the sand.

What ever it is it's cool to me, it's a picture of something on Mars! That is so amazing to me! Clear pictures of whatever on a different planet...that just blows my mind! LoL! :D

Me either. It's a bunch of crap.

Seem to me like you have overdosed on this topic, sweety. :w00t:

I'd like to comment on this but I don't even believe in Mars. But seriously, what ever is in that picture looks to be the size of a toe nail clipping or smaller. How they got 'flower' out of it I have no idea.

Ohh Mars is very real, it's the moon that is a hoax.

LINK - The Moon. A Propaganda Hoax.

There is nothing at all to suggest this is organic, much less anything 'out of the ordinary'. It could be an exposed bit of crystal. The rock does have a sedimentary look to it though, it could be any number of things however there isn't anything to suggest it isn't geological in nature.

• Like 1

There is nothing at all to suggest this is organic, much less anything 'out of the ordinary'. It could be an exposed bit of crystal. The rock does have a sedimentary look to it though, it could be any number of things however there isn't anything to suggest it isn't geological in nature.

What I do not get is there is a lab on board Curiosity - SAM. Can we not scoop it up and have a good look at it? Vaporise it and see what happens maybe? (BREAKING NEWS New volatile substance found on Mars. Curiosity mission suddenly over)

What I find most interesting is that it is the second anomaly in that very area.

You know what they say! Curiosity killed the cat!

What the hell the cat was doing on Mars in the first place I have no idea...................... :unsure2:

But I agree. It does look very geological in nature. More like a polished and perhaps metallic surface.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

What I do not get is there is a lab on board Curiosity - SAM. Can we not scoop it up and have a good look at it? Vaporise it and see what happens maybe? (BREAKING NEWS New volatile substance found on Mars. Curiosity mission suddenly over)

What I find most interesting is that it is the second anomaly in that very area.

You know what they say! Curiosity killed the cat!

What the hell the cat was doing on Mars in the first place I have no idea...................... :unsure2:

But I agree. It does look very geological in nature. More like a polished and perhaps metallic surface.

I don't know how much success they would have trying to get a scoop out of stone, I thought their mechanism for gathering testable material was more in the order of obtaining 'soil'? I don't know the full load out of the devices on board Curiosity though, they might have something that could do the trick. It would definitely be interesting if they could manage it though. :tu:

• Like 1

Don't they have a Laser that they can blast at things?

• Like 1

I don't know what it is, just going by the picture, although where there's water there's almost certainly life in some form, even in "extreme" environments.

Of course, I'm the first to say that there are all kinds of "anomalies" out there in space, and on this planet as well, and I have good reason to be skeptical of all official explanations of these matters.

It looks a lot like sand stone of which there is an abundance where I live

post-109094-0-61171700-1357642929_thumb.

" Sandstone is a clastic sedimentary rock made up mainly of sand-size (1/16 to 2 millimeter diameter) weathering debris. Environments where large amounts of sand can accumulate include beaches, deserts, flood plains and deltas"

From geology.compost-109094-0-61171700-1357642929_thumb.

I see nothing interesting. I just looks like a crystal formation peaking out of that bed of rock. Its crazy the things people "see" in these Mars pics.

It looks like a kalinite crystal.

I believe life may have started there and seeded earth, there is the Mars rock found with organisms,even though there is a debate. Mars has the largest volcano in our solar system,it may have exploded ending life`s bacteria before it got started.

http://spider.seds.o.../marsrocks.html

You've said that before, but if anything ended life on Mars in a catastrophic way (if that's how it happened) then it must have been an impact or a multiple impact, and sent bolides into space.

Edited by Abramelin

Yeah, but those damn Martians shoot back !!

• Like 1

And as always there are those who are convinced NASA is holding back information, and that something truly mysterious is going they refuse to tell us.

It's like a hypochondriac going to an appointment with his general practitioner to hear the results of some tests, and then the GP tells him, "It's not clear. We should do some more tests". The hypochodric will think, "OMG, I've got cancer but he won't tell me !!"

• Like 1

You've said that before, but if anything ended life on Mars in a catastrophic way (if that's how it happened) then it must have been an impact or a multiple impact, and sent bolides into space.

Could`nt a Volcano of that power send rocks into space?

Could`nt a Volcano of that power send rocks into space?

That's what's being suggested here:

The craters are notable for being two of several suspected source areas for shergottites, the most abundant class of Martian meteorites.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Olympus_Mons

But Olympus Mons is a shield volcano, like the Hawaiian volcanoes, and as far as I know they don't erupt in a violent way like a Pinatubo, Tambora, Toba, Krakatoa, Thera and so on. That's also the reason they can grow so large.

And the question was whether it could have ended life on Mars. If that was true, we would have a lot of troubles here on Earth. It's not a formation like the Deccan Traps that must have wiped off the dinosaurs and much else (as is now also thought, instead of 'just' the Chicxulub impact).

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Looks to me like there are other pieces scattered around in the pic. I would haft to say it's some sort of rock.

Would'nt you just love to see a lizzard poking it's head out of one of those cracks.

• Like 1

Yeh but bear in mind NASA didn't call it a flower...it was someone at ATS according to the story. but if you see the full sized raw image here

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00132/mhli/0132MH0158001000E1_DXXX.jpg

and do a diagonal to the top right corner at full zoom, it looks like there is another 'bit', so most likely just something crystalline in the rock...

seriously tho - what does anyone expect to see? Daffodils?

Thanks I couldn't zoom in on the other one. It sure isnt a flower but cool regardless.

• Like 1

... could be Mica, Quartzite, Calcite, Andesite etc etc Would be interesting for Curiosity to perform a more detailed analysis, but there are probably other Mission Priorities ahead in the queue

• Like 1

Looks to me like there are other pieces scattered around in the pic. I would haft to say it's some sort of rock.

Would'nt you just love to see a lizzard poking it's head out of one of those cracks.

I expect, as on earth, the movement of the rover and noise etc will scare any living creatures away..if there was any to start with that is!!

Im really quite optimistic/hopeful that this year, 'something' will be found on Mars thats really newsworthy...and not just water or other kinds of liquid either... dont ask me why... I just feel that with the rover being the hell of a machine that it is...and all its gadgets... somethings gotta be found and revealed..

and no - I DO NOT think they will keep anything a secret, even if, as some hope for, they find ruins!

Indeed it can, from Wiki

The general sample analysis strategy begins with high resolution cameras to look for features of interest. If a particular surface is of interest, Curiosity can vaporize a small portion of it with an infrared laser and examine the resulting spectra signature to query the rock's elemental composition.

I figure the same, we could try to vaporise it, but as I said, if it is a new substance, and it is volatile, we might see a quick end to the mission LOL.

• Like 1

Indeed it can, from Wiki

I figure the same, we could try to vaporise it, but as I said, if it is a new substance, and it is volatile, we might see a quick end to the mission LOL.

Well, at least it will be more interesting than the nothingness that come out of this mission. Wouldn't it be better to spend the money to try and build a base on the Moon? :)

Well, at least it will be more interesting than the nothingness that come out of this mission. Wouldn't it be better to spend the money to try and build a base on the Moon? :)

A moon base would be awesome, but not some small Igloo or something, a full space station where Rockets are assembled and launched to decrease the need for gravity and use the fuel more efficiently. It needs to be done right. In the meantime, I'd personally like to see a decent probe go to Europa and see if those Oceans really are there and if anything is in them.

• Like 1

Me too Im all for a trip to Europa ! All these worlds are yours,but ! HEy what the Heck ! Take-em-all ! :tu:

You will now give examples..

Before doing so, I strongly suggest you do a little more research (especially into the reasons for those 'data blanks'), or this isn't going to go well for you...

And much time then passed... Zeta Reticulum, as you have been back to this forum many many times (indeed, only a few hours ago) since my request of a week ago but have not returned to this thread to give the examples, what should we assume? Let's remember that you claimed, about the NASA Curiosity imagery:

Not all are released.... and some that are released... have weird black data blanks..

Obviously, if anyone makes such claims, they should simply point to the images in question to allow proper analysis.

Now, there are several possible reasons why ZR may not have not replied:

1. ZR has forgotten about this thread (I'll PM ZR if no reply..)

2. NASA (or MIB/whatever) 'got to' ZR.

3. ZR was posting as a seagull/troll.

4. ZR hasn't yet finished researching this, but will be back Real Soon Now.

5. ZR did the research and realised the truth and would now rather that the posts be forgotten..

6. ZR knew the truth when posting and wished to deceive.

Now I must eliminate 3 and 6, as those are against forum rules and/or morals. :D

If it's 1, then ZR will no doubt be back after a few days, once I've pm'ed..

If it's 2, then not much can be done until .. disclosure!!

So that really only leaves 4 and 5 (unless I've not thought of something obvious). Personally, I can't wait to find out which. ZR, are you listening?

BTW, if this was me and I had evidence of tomfoolery, I would obviously post it - confident in my knowledge of the topic.. .. .. ....

• Like 1