Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could you take a life?

Sean93

Simple question, could you take a life?

I think I could if it was necessary and if the person in question wasn't the nicest of people ( Totalitarian Dictator, Warlord, Corrupt Politician etc).

This question often brings peoples' own morals into play (which is what makes it Interesting to me) , and in many cases, their religious faiths too. Some say they could for the greater good; others say they cannot because only god has authority over life (I know some religions condone killing in certain situations).

I'll give you a situation:

You're in a room with a man/Woman who'll kill millions of people when he/she leaves the room. You have one chance to kill this person then and there and no one will ever find out (police) etc. Do you do it? For me the answer is yes, I could if I felt strongly about it.

• Like 3

Karmically speaking ,its not our place to punnish sociopathic dictators . It just isn't .That's for the universe to work out ,however,if my life,or the life of a loved one ,was ever threatened ,game over .

My house has been broken into ,three times over the 40 years my parents ,and then I,lived here .

If someone is in my home,reasons unknown ,whack with the machete,ask questions later .

End of story .

• Like 3

If someone was on a murdering spree like Sandy Hook, going to kill a member of my family or my own life was in danger, yes. It would not put me on their level because I wouldn't try to murder someone.

• Like 2

Simple question, could you take a life?

I think I could if it was necessary and if the person in question wasn't the nicest of people ( Totalitarian Dictator, Warlord, Corrupt Politician etc).

This question often brings peoples' own morals into play (which is what makes it Interesting to me) , and in many cases, their religious faiths too. Some say they could for the greater good; others say they cannot because only god has authority over life (I know some religions condone killing in certain situations).

You're in a room with a man/Woman who'll kill millions of people when he/she leaves the room. You have one chance to kill this person then and there and no one will ever find out (police) etc. Do you do it? For me the answer is yes, I could if I felt strongly about it.

Cool Topic!

As far as I'm aware, Morals are Imposed, Ethics are projected. (I think this is an important distinction.)

Anyway, would I?

The situation you've given isn't enough for me. But I can think of plenty of situations where I would kill a person without hessitation so long as the criteria met my Ethics..

Hard question.

I could never take an innocent life, ever. I also don't feel like it's my right to take another life.

However to save an innocent life I would kill if it was the last resort.

The situation is difficult though, I mean I would knock the person out and tie them up, show their plans to someone of the law and get them locked away. But if thta wasn't an option and i knew innocent people would die, I wouldn't be able to not kill that person. However it would destroy me.

I can think of several scenario's where I would likely kill:

- If an assailant has a clear intention of killing me or otherwise doing great harm to myself.

- If an intruder in my home is trying to abduct my children.

- If I happen to come across a rape victim being brutally attacked.

- If someone was clearly intending to set-off a weapon of mass distruction, and I was the only person capable of stopping him.

- If a maniac was shooting/stabbing, etc.. innocent people.

- If a police officer was in certain, grave danger from an arrest event.

- If an armed intruder(s) breaks into my home.

- If I am abducted at gunpoint anywhere, be it in my car, etc...

- There are many other scenario's

• Like 1

I can think of several scenario's where I would likely kill:

- If an assailant has a clear intention of killing me or otherwise doing great harm to myself.

- If an intruder in my home is trying to abduct my children.

- If I happen to come across a rape victim being brutally attacked.

- If someone was clearly intending to set-off a weapon of mass distruction, and I was the only person capable of stopping him.

- If a maniac was shooting/stabbing, etc.. innocent people.

- If a police officer was in certain, grave danger from an arrest event.

- If an armed intruder(s) breaks into my home.

- If I am abducted at gunpoint anywhere, be it in my car, etc...

- There are many other scenario's

That's pretty much my list as well.

Although I wouldn't add the caveats of "armed" or "trying to abduct my children". If they're in my home then they are a threat to me and my family - even if their intent is to only steal the toaster. Because, frankly, I'm not in the business of judging intent in a situation like that. You're in my home - you're a threat Plain and simple. Black and white.

• Like 2

Yup. To save my life or the life/lives of others.

Could I just wander out my door and shoot someone? Nope.

Nibs

• Like 1

Yeah I could

Yup. To save my life or the life/lives of others.

Could I just wander out my door and shoot someone? Nope.

Nibs

This matches with my attitude. I would not commit murder, whether random or for selfish gain. However, if I could protect innocent life, I would be capable of making the decision to kill. As a school teacher whose classroom is near an outside door, I have thought about that a lot. My first choice would be to incapacitate. But if necessary...yes.

• Like 1

Easier time taking a human life then killing an animal during a hunt. No illusion that all life is precious. Some people deserve death.

In that situation no. You don't kill people for something they didn't do yet. It's either during or after... not before. Unless you could prove that the future was set in stone, I wouldn't kill him.

• Like 2

Yes, if it comes to protecting my family, I will not hesitate to kill. That does not bring me down to 'their level' as I will never go out and simply harm someone else.

• Like 4

To the original question, I was going to say yes before coming across the reply just two before mine lol. If they knew they were going to do this, means to do this, yes, instantly. If it was the other way, no.

I'm kinda weird where my brain and my faith conflict, I could be incredibly cruel given certain situations (threatening family, life, etc) if it wasn't for God saying not to do so. Still, given a self defense circumstance I wouldn't hesitate.

I would like to add to my previous post, that, if the opportunity was clear(they are percieved dangerous but not armed), I would rather shoot them in their legs, etc... and call the police. Or otherwise hold them at gunpoint without shooting but very much ready to shoot to kill if necessary.

EDIT: I've seen too many vids where it might have seemed possible to simply shoot and disable the attacker, rather than kill them. But I guess I couldn't say for sure how I would react in those circumstances.

Edited by pallidin

Yes I would.

I certainly couldn't do that premeditatively, but in a split second decision I don't know what I'd do...

A strong No, but under certain circumstances who knows what I would do. I hope I never have to find out.

• Like 1

I would never want to take any life in any situation.

But if it was simply a matter of protecting innocent people or myself, I could.

Come after my children and I would indeed terminate their life. I would not enjoy having to do this but I would not stand back and allow my chhildren to be murdered.

• Like 2

I wish I could say yes. The fact that he could walk out and kill millions because of my inaction is horrifying.

The evidence so far in my life suggests I would freeze. Something inside me doesn't even let me hit worth a damn, no matter the provocation. My hand goes up and gets ready for an almighty fist punch then at the last second some force inside pulls back and turns it into the touch of a feather on the other person's upper arm, not even where I was aiming in the first instance.

I think if it was more immediate in my face, trying to kill someone in front of me for instance then maybe I could overcome this force and act, but I don't know for sure tbh.