Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we closing in on Bigfoot?

keninsc

I've always often wondered if these creatures do exist based on all the reports around the world.

it's just that there is denial that they exist because the scientific community doesn't want a bunch

of redneck hunters wondering through the forest looking to kill them. Look what happened to the

buffalo and the wolf.

The Wolf was and is killed by the Government,( Scientific Community, Biologists ) not by rednecks.

And, a bunch of red neck hunters ( Bigfoot Hunters ) have been looking for Bif for a very long time, and not found a one.

The Wolf was and is killed by the Government,( Scientific Community, Biologists ) not by rednecks.

And, a bunch of red neck hunters ( Bigfoot Hunters ) have been looking for Bif for a very long time, and not found a one.

Do you consider yourself a redneck?

Do you consider yourself a redneck?

That would depend on what your definition of a redneck is.

My definition, no I do not.

Here is what that articles says:

The best solution is take every care and precaution against a bear attack by carrying a whistle, etc. with proper preparedness as to not startle a bear or attract a bear.

An idiot can use bear spray but it is standing your ground during a charge that is utmost important.

*snip*

That is the problem, not any idiot can use bear spray. People forget it in the moment, freeze, run, put it somewhere not easily accessible, fumble with aiming and shooting. You have to feel comfortable using it, be prepared to use it, know how to use it, and get to it instantaneously.

And somehow, all at the same time, fight what would be an incredible flight urge! I'd want to RUUNNN!!! Straight up a tree with the bear right behind me!

Hiking in numbers helps as well. A brown bear study showed attacks on hiking groups of 3? or more people (can't remember the exact number 3 or 4) are nonexistent. But hiking in a crowd certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But if it's your thing, it's another preventative measure you could take in brown bear country.

*snip*

That is the problem, not any idiot can use bear spray. People forget it in the moment, freeze, run, put it somewhere not easily accessible, fumble with aiming and shooting. You have to feel comfortable using it, be prepared to use it, know how to use it, and get to it instantaneously.

And somehow, all at the same time, fight what would be an incredible flight urge! I'd want to RUUNNN!!! Straight up a tree with the bear right behind me!

Hiking in numbers helps as well. A brown bear study showed attacks on hiking groups of 3? or more people (can't remember the exact number 3 or 4) are nonexistent. But hiking in a crowd certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But if it's your thing, it's another preventative measure you could take in brown bear country.

So true.

But the same things can be said of carrying firearms in bear country and wounding a bear is sure to make the situation worse.

Great point.

Edited by Ambush Bug

So true.

But the same things can be said of carrying firearms in bear country and wounding a bear is sure to make the situation worse.

Don't shoot to wound, always shoot to kill, unless you're trying to scare it off with the noise from the gun fire. That's why most handguns are multi-shot capable.

Don't shoot to wound, always shoot to kill, unless you're trying to scare it off with the noise from the gun fire. That's why most handguns are multi-shot capable.

Here lies the problem, what distance is the bear at? They can reach speeds of 35 MPH in a dead run? And if your gun is too light for the animal, a kill-shot is not a guarantee!

Don't shoot to wound, always shoot to kill, unless you're trying to scare it off with the noise from the gun fire.

Or by wounding it.

That's why most handguns are multi-shot capable.

So another person can pick up your gun and shoot the animal while it's mauling you.

Here lies the problem, what distance is the bear at? They can reach speeds of 35 MPH in a dead run? And if your gun is too light for the animal, a kill-shot is not a guarantee!

And if that pepper spray is old then it's not going to be very effective either.

So another person can pick up your gun and shoot the animal while it's mauling you.

Naaaw, if your walking partner was too wimpy to carry a gun then odds are they'll just leave you to feed the bear and take off running while the bear's distracted.

And if that pepper spray is old then it's not going to be very effective either.

That's why the cans have expiration dates on them. At least the one I was carrying this summer did. I noticed it on the can right after we saw the bear. Definitely worth checking before we go camping again!

That's why the cans have expiration dates on them. At least the one I was carrying this summer did. I noticed it on the can right after we saw the bear. Definitely worth checking before we go camping again!

That works great if people check them. You know the old adage, "theory in one hand, spit in the other and see which one gets full first." It's been my experience people don't check their pepper spray. Shoot I have security officer I have to make them check theirs on a regular basis or they don't get checked at all, and we use ours on a more regular basis. Of course, all we're doing to taking down a violent drunk usually. Not exactly the same thing.

:unsure2: