Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taking a Bigfoot alive.

keninsc

Aright, so a friend of mine and I have been tying with the idea of building a Bigfoot size tazer. My friend and I were sort of inspired by a design for a new type of tazer that is fired from a 12 ga shotgun, it then deploys it tazing barbs and flies, completely self contained strikes an assailant then discharges for a full five seconds allowing the police to catch up to the criminal and cuff him and then begin his trip through the American justice System.

The idea we had is we'd scale this up to accommodate a creature as large and a Bigfoot is supposed to be, unfortunately due to Bigfoots apparently coming in all sizes, we might need to look at something more on the line a of the same sort of thing only scaled up to fire a 40mm projectile tazing round.

Zap, the big boy for just a few minutes and you might well be able to get a couple chains on him/her, possibly leg irons. Then you have the best of both worlds, a live, living breathing creature for scientific study.

Thoughts, comments.......shock and horror.....anything?

Okay, I'll play Devils Advocate. Bf is out there. And you want to capture it alive.

--Who is going to be the one who approaches the beast once he's down?

--What, exactly, were you thinking of having with you to restrain him?

--What happens when he comes around?

In other words,

--Who is going to be the one to poke it first and say "You out big boy?"

--How long do you have to get it restrained before it comes round and fights back?

--And exactly what would you use to effectively restrain him that you could carry with you?

--How do you then transport a very unhappy 8 foot 700 lb animal from the woods to the lab?

--Who will your team consist of?

I see this as different from say-- tranquilizing rogue polar bears, taking health readings, then transporting them by helicopter further outside human habitats because:

1. You know where to find the bear

2. Therefore you can have the helicopter and team and equipment at the ready

3. You know how much time you have- how long the bear will be out

4. You are freeing the bear at a not so distant location and back into its own habitat

5. There are lots of past live large animal captures for background: from great white sharks to lions to polar bears There is no reference book for BF.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts for now...

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

QC, I had this great reply and this time I screwed up and lost it......forgot which tab I was in this time.

Hang in there, I will reply.......after my blood pressure goes back down to a safe level.

:whistle:

QC, I had this great reply and this time I screwed up and lost it......forgot which tab I was in this time.

Hang in there, I will reply.......after my blood pressure goes back down to a safe level.

:whistle:

Gee, keninsc, that kind of stuff never happens to me... :P

Okay, I'll play Devils Advocate. Bf is out there. And you want to capture it alive.

--Who is going to be the one who approaches the beast once he's down?

--What, exactly, were you thinking of having with you to restrain him?

--What happens when he comes around?

In other words,

--Who is going to be the one to poke it first and say "You out big boy?"

--How long do you have to get it restrained before it comes round and fights back?

--And exactly what would you use to effectively restrain him that you could carry with you?

--How do you then transport a very unhappy 8 foot 700 lb animal from the woods to the lab?

--Who will your team consist of?

I have thought about this rather extensively and after having thought about it as I have and raising pretty much the same questions as you have, it seems foolish to consider a live capture of a creature as a Bigfoot. However, I've never allowed logic to dictate what I can and can't do........within reason. Keep in mind there are a number of things that would have to be worked out from a technical stand point. Not the least of which is a Tazer capable of taking down a Bigfoot, so what might be a reasonable alternative would be to hit a single creature with multiple Tazers. The Tazer Sakari has provided is is a good example four or five or those and it might well take him down. Now, here's where it gets really hairy.......as if this wasn't hairy enough, but what happens as soon as the creature is down will be critical. You will need a team of people to swoop in and retrain the creature. This can be done with chains and padlocks, or rather it will have to be done with these since no one makes cuffs and shackles in Bigfoot size.........whatever that might be. Tie wraps can be applied quickly and painlessly to the creature's wrists and ankles then they in turn can act to hold the creature while chains are then applied.

No, I didn't say this was going to be easy or safe for me or any member of the team. Imagine trying to capture a live bear in this manner? Claws, jaws and balls, p***ed off and wanting to get free at all cost, not to mention the very strong likelihood of members of a family group very possibly swooping in to try and rescue the target creature. Hey, wild apes have been known to help others, Mama bears will attack anything that threatens their cubs.

You touched on tranquilizing a Bigfoot, so let me give you an education in traquilization or rather the history of such, when it was first introduced a number of creatures were accidentally killed due to unfortunate medication interactions and overdosing. Not something that gets a lot of press time or is spoken of a lot for obvious reasons. People talk about it all the time like it's an exact science and it most certainly isn't, much like medicine is not always cut and dried.

Ok, so you got you a captured Bigfoot, now what? Well, you have a couple of possibilities. First, walk the critter out using three maybe four neck chains and everyone carrying Tazers, and very likely cattle prods. Second possibility, manufacture a rescue stretcher like the ones used by the Military and Mountain rescue teams to secure the critter in then take him out using four wheelers or possibly a truck. Assuming of course you can get a truck in to get it loaded and out. You then transport Daisy to your nearest College or University that has a Primate Research Facility, a real one not one that simply raises monkeys for research projects.

There is a lot of planing that goes into taking one alive, not to mention danger. Which is why I have in the past said shooting one would be the easiest way to establish existence. And I would edit to add that this assumes that they even exist to begin with, you can't just run right out to where the Bigfoots are and lay in wait for them.

Edited by keninsc

Yes, tie wraps do come in long enough heavy duty strength to possibly work. Plus these would be easy to carry into the woods, who knows how far, to find a bigfoot to use them on.

Yes, I’ve no doubt tranquilized animals have died, but I was referring to having the knowledge of how long it sedates an animal so as to know how long you have to hang around and safely transport known animal.

Accessing the animal for transportation when you have no idea where you will find one, I find one of the biggest problem.

Yes, mama griz will attack you if you mess with her cubs and her cubs will attack you if old enough and you attack their mama. Who knows what you might deal with with bigfoot, but again, so many seem to be loners.

I don’t see using cattle prods to walk the creature out. But, then again, I wonder just how dangerous and aggressive, even after capture, these animals might be. I mean we just don’t know what you might find. They may follow you out of the woods like a puppy. Or, you may find a juvenile that would.

And of course as you said too “Where is all this going to play out?” Is of course the million ten million dollar question (assuming they exist). And can change the whole game plan. What team could be that flexible and ready?

You’d have to plan on capturing an habituated bigfoot, is all I can see as having a chance of planning and working out successfully. Drug his candy bars and go from there.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Maybe you'd have more luck catching the easter bunny.

• Like 1

There's more unknowns in this than I care to really contemplate and trying to cover all the bases is going to require a massive amount of money. Not just for Bigfoot recovery but then there are the inevitable, "Oh crap! Didn't see that coming." Like what if, you or one of your team shoot a human by mistake. The lawsuits alone could be monstrous, not to mention legal fees. Then, what if you shoot a Bigfoot and then DNA determines this is a human and therefore protected under the law as you and I are? That could get real ugly and expensive.

There's a ton of stuff to consider if you decide to take a Bigfoot. That's not to say I wouldn't, if opportunity presented itself to me. Shoot the critter, be prepared to defend the carcass from any family group members that are p***ed about you shooting Daisy. Then have a plan, that plan in my case is I would cut off the head, hands and feet of the creature and place them in garbage bags, then place those in a carry bag, much like a duffel bag. Secure the remaining body with a chain and pad locks to a tree.......large enough that even a super strong Bigfoot couldn't tear it out of the ground. Mark the position using a GPS device......a good one. Take the parts out and to a scientist, then return with a crew to recover the remains later. Take pictures and shoot some video of the body.

Obviously, plans change based on how much help you have available and what sort of financial resources you're willing to put out.

Maybe you'd have more luck catching the easter bunny.

Naaaw, I already got him. The Tooth Fairy too.

I was going on the live capture premise. But it sure does come with a long list of unknowns and speculations, at best.

Did you mount their little heads? The Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy, that is.

No! I'm not an ogre. I still let them do their work.

They just have to stay with me during the "off seasons".

:santa:

If I wanted to get one alive. I would shoot it with a dart that would take down a gorilla. Then keep it sedated until I got it in a very well fortified cage. I would also have someone with me with real ammo that could take it down if the dart didn't work fast enough. A body is better than nothing and easier to deal with.

That's the whole thing with darting one, you might wind up killing the critter inadvertently and getting those drugs isn't as easy as you might think. While it's getting harder to get ammo, you can still get it. Tazering could be an option, but then how do you get a really upset Bigfoot out of the mountains or where ever he is?

I should add, that I have a numerous occasions here advocated the shooting of a Bigfoot in order to provide conclusive proof of their existence and while that is still the case I think that one should always consider the live capture option or have at least given it serious consideration. Mainly because I don't want to come off sounding like some crazy old redneck, hell bent on mounting a Bigfoot to my wall. Also, there's the Karma thing, if you're killing something for food that's one thing, but killing for a higher purpose is often difficult for a lot of people to understand.

The point of this thread was to allow not only myself but others to explore options in such an endeavor. It seems that taking a Bigfoot alive would be a monumental undertaking in terms of money, manpower and materiel.

Taking one alive would be a tricky thing. I think that the taser option would suffer the same issues as the traq dart option. Too much and they expire and too little and it gets away.

Maybe a paintball gun with a tranquilizing liquid might work OK. Range is medium, and chemicals are as available as tranq dart chemicals.

I would rather use a trap of some kind to catch the Big Guy (BoBo?) but supposedly they can sniff out traps and avoid them, even moreso then trail cameras.

I've thought about traps and in order to make a trap work a couple things have to happen. 1) You have to know where one is going to be in order to set up a trap to have any probability of success. 2) You have to set up this trap leaving no scent or obvious disturbance to the area so as to make a Bigfoot suspicious. 3) There is the possibility of baiting a trap, but then that might seem suspicious to a Bigfoot as well.......but I haven't a clue if it would or not.

Then come the other questions, what kind of trap? A big box with a trap door? A drop net? A slide net with a clinch? I'd rule out a dead fall trap as digging one in a rocky area would mean you'd need a back hoe.........just a wee bit noisy and smelly if you ask me. Now the only serious possibility would be a cable loop trap much like poachers use to capture elephants, a Biggy trips the trap, a cable cinches around his or her ankle and then hoists them up in the air at least high enough they can't get loose. Then you have to deal with one large, extremely teed off, strong, thing to try and deal with along with whatever family group or mate might happen to be close by who's going to take exception to screwing with it's mate or offspring like that.

Personally, the darting thing just bothers me because you need drugs and those drugs have to be administered via a veterinarian or at least set up for dosages by a vet and the first things the vet is going to ask is, what species and what weight? Nether of which I can give him or her a proper answer for, assuming when I tell him I want to dart a Bigfoot he doesn't though my old shriveled up behind out of his office.

So it isn't getting any easier.

• Like 1

I'm seeing different scenarios here. The scenario in your OP, I believe, is how could an "everyday person" capture this creature alive to prove it's existence to a highly skeptical scientific community.

A second scenario would involve "everyday men" and a millionaire.

And yet another scenario (hey, it's bf ), would involve the participation of mainstream scientists, their equipment, expertise, plus miraculously sufficient funding.

Since we are speculating an actual Bf is out there for our capture, I still have to go with habituation sites. The sites would offer all kinds of advantages for capture, especially if you established a habituation site for the sole purpose of one day capturing the creatures who visit. You could pre-plan: location, a feeding schedule, a trap already on site for the creature to get used to, figure out what animal you are dealing with through the use of cameras to better assess what type of tranquilizers, restraints, transportation to use.

Probably like it sounds they claimed happened with "Daisy".

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Oh I completely agree that there are any number of possible scenarios including just plain dumb luck. A guy driving his oversize dually truck to work one morning slams into one and injures it severely enough that it can't escape. I'm thinking breaking the legs. Or even kill it outright. You can't discount such a thing actually happening.

Now, there was a millionaire who began funding a guy to do Bigfoot research, actually I think he was looking for the Yeti....Tom Slick (what a name?). Unfortunately he died before anything could really get off the ground from a heart attack I think it was. Having done a few things in my life, military service, hiking, hunting and being an engineer I can tell you that logistics on something like this would be a nightmare. If you put together a team, say of six highly motivated people, you need at least twenty people working in the back ground supporting them. Seriously, you would. Now, not all of them all at the same time but half that number doing things like scheduling, planing, food and it's preparation, keeping the base camp secure, you'd need a legal team. You'd need someone in coordinate medical care in case someone got hurt. Transportation, equipment. Now volunteers would be great but for the most part you're going to need some good people who will keep their mouths shut and not be blabbing all over the web.......and speaking of the web, you're going to need someone to run a website, take reports from people and their possible sightings then send people out to investigate them to see if the sighting is worth send out your hunt team.

So, yeah I can see this thing growing by leaps and bounds easily in order to do it right. It's my own personal belief.......and this is a little out in left field, but assuming Bigfoot is real I think it'll be found in the southeastern section of the US. Most likely in the mountains ranging from West Virginia down through Northern Alabama. Granted, it pseudo-scientific wild assed guess really and probably more wishful thinking than anything else.

Personally, I would love to be able to devote some time to looking for the critter. Unfortunately, my ability to do so financially are severely limited and while I don't like seeing groups selling tee shirts and "excursions" and giving seminars for money, I can understand the need for cash to make it happen. Well, unless I win the lottery or get lucky like Jodie Fosters character in "Contact" and suddenly have a rich billionaire decide to give me Carte Blanc and cover my cost and pay me a salary. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. However.......I could win the lottery, hit it big and just quietly go out looking, maybe pick up a couple people along the way.

I've thought about traps and in order to make a trap work a couple things have to happen. 1) You have to know where one is going to be in order to set up a trap to have any probability of success. 2) You have to set up this trap leaving no scent or obvious disturbance to the area so as to make a Bigfoot suspicious. 3) There is the possibility of baiting a trap, but then that might seem suspicious to a Bigfoot as well.......but I haven't a clue if it would or not.

Then come the other questions, what kind of trap? A big box with a trap door? A drop net? A slide net with a clinch? I'd rule out a dead fall trap as digging one in a rocky area would mean you'd need a back hoe.........just a wee bit noisy and smelly if you ask me. Now the only serious possibility would be a cable loop trap much like poachers use to capture elephants, a Biggy trips the trap, a cable cinches around his or her ankle and then hoists them up in the air at least high enough they can't get loose. Then you have to deal with one large, extremely teed off, strong, thing to try and deal with along with whatever family group or mate might happen to be close by who's going to take exception to screwing with it's mate or offspring like that.

Personally, the darting thing just bothers me because you need drugs and those drugs have to be administered via a veterinarian or at least set up for dosages by a vet and the first things the vet is going to ask is, what species and what weight? Nether of which I can give him or her a proper answer for, assuming when I tell him I want to dart a Bigfoot he doesn't though my old shriveled up behind out of his office.

So it isn't getting any easier.

Yet bigfoot supposedly will investigate abandoned camp sites, or even camp sites where people are sleeping, or sitting around a fire. So I think even if you leave human scent, or other evidence around, if you disquised it as something else, like a campsite, then you could still bring in the BF.

Finding a site to set up a trap is probably the same in difficulty as finding a site where you can tazer or drug a BF. Plus with shooting at BF, you have to actually be there, and supposedly BF can sense people very well.

Maybe a very heavy drag net trap, hidden inside a tent, powered by log counterweights. Bigfoot comes into "abandoned" camp to investigate, touches the wrong object, releases the levers to the counterweights and BLAM!! The net pushes the tent aside, opening out into a twenty foot wide square and falling over and pinning the BF to some trees. Pinned to the trees, BF is not able to get leverage on the net, or run away and so is trapped. :clap:

I don't care how strong BF is, with quarter inch webbed netting, he is not going to tear through it. And with several 2000+ pound logs holding the ropes, he's not getting away based only on strength.

Edited by DieChecker

Leave a jug 'o moonshine out there and get him drunk. Then drag him away while he's sleeping it off.

• Like 1

1/2 gallon of blueberry shine should do the trick. The only hard part would be convincing it that it's stealing it.

Awwwwww! You guys.

:w00t:

Bigfoot as Moonshine Operation guard dogs.

I'm sure that one's been proposed somewhere...

You don't come between a Foot and his Still.

Yet bigfoot supposedly will investigate abandoned camp sites, or even camp sites where people are sleeping, or sitting around a fire. So I think even if you leave human scent, or other evidence around, if you disquised it as something else, like a campsite, then you could still bring in the BF.

Finding a site to set up a trap is probably the same in difficulty as finding a site where you can tazer or drug a BF. Plus with shooting at BF, you have to actually be there, and supposedly BF can sense people very well.

Maybe a very heavy drag net trap, hidden inside a tent, powered by log counterweights. Bigfoot comes into "abandoned" camp to investigate, touches the wrong object, releases the levers to the counterweights and BLAM!! The net pushes the tent aside, opening out into a twenty foot wide square and falling over and pinning the BF to some trees. Pinned to the trees, BF is not able to get leverage on the net, or run away and so is trapped. :clap:

I don't care how strong BF is, with quarter inch webbed netting, he is not going to tear through it. And with several 2000+ pound logs holding the ropes, he's not getting away based only on strength.

Trouble with the net idea is it's going to take a lot of set up work and will disturb the area a lot. I think I'd go with the leg cinch and hang him/her upside down. Of course then you'd have a very agitated Bigfoot ready to attack anything approaching it with telepathy, odor and fecal matter. Of course if he's drunk then the whole thing might be a lot easier.........blueberry moonshine?........Hmmmmm?

Edited by keninsc

Trouble with the net idea is it's going to take a lot of set up work and will disturb the area a lot. I think I'd go with the leg cinch and hang him/her upside down. Of course then you'd have a very agitated Bigfoot ready to attack anything approaching it with telepathy, odor and fecal matter.

Lol...Now there's a viral Youtube video. :w00t:

Edited by QuiteContrary