Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US health worse compared to other countries

Render

WASHINGTON—On average, Americans die sooner and experience higher rates of disease and injury than people in other high-income countries, says a new report from the National Research Council and Institute of Medicine.

The report finds that this health disadvantage exists at all ages from birth to age 75 and that even advantaged Americans—those who have health insurance, college educations, higher incomes and healthy behaviors—appear to be sicker than their peers in other rich nations.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/new/releases/21065-americans-have-worse-health-than-people-in-other-high-income-countries

Interesting, it appears that older Americans are actually doing better than other countries, but younger Americans are doing far worse:

"It's a tragedy. Our report found that an equally large, if not larger, disadvantage exists among younger Americans," Woolf said. "I don't think most parents know that, on average, infants, children and adolescents in the U.S. die younger and have greater rates of illness and injury than youth in other countries."

The panel did find that the U.S. outperforms its peers in some areas of health and health-related behavior. People in the U.S. over age 75 live longer, and Americans have lower death rates from stroke and cancer, better control of blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and lower rates of smoking.

So, now the question arises as to why the younger Americans are dying at higher rates? Lifestyle choices would be my guess.

• Like 1

I am not surprised. We eat a lot of crappy food. I don't eat out much anymore, just to many calories, bad carbs and fat. Even if it looks healthy most of the it is not.

• Like 1

Many old people lived through years of austerity where food was scarce but generally wholesome. This is a perfect formula for a good and healthy long life.

A life of abundance put tremendous stress on our bodies and generally shortens life considerably.

America is the culture of excess and this is especially true of its food habits, coupled to a culture where everything is done by car, and this is where you should look for the difference between the USA and the rest of the developed world.

Br Cornelius

Maybe the stress of having to keep a gun to protect yourself against the other gun handlers is getting to them.

BK, McDonalds, Taco Bell etc etc.

Not exactly going to make a generation healthy.

• Like 2

There is a marked difference in the health of people not afraid to go to the doctor at the slightest discomfort and those who cannot afford a doctor. After ten years of mandatory healthcare for all the playing field will be level again. Except, of course, for the cases of McPuke abuse...

I hate to say this but I routinely get medical advice from the internet instead of going to a doctor. I even had a good result asking a medical question on Yahoo Answers site. My insurance won't pay until I have at least $5,000 of medical expenses in a year. This is private coverage I pay for myself.

Interesting, it appears that older Americans are actually doing better than other countries, but younger Americans are doing far worse:

So, now the question arises as to why the younger Americans are dying at higher rates? Lifestyle choices would be my guess.

Personaly I think a number of things contribute. The older generation didnt eat GM foods from birth. Didnt get injected with anywhere near the amounts of harmfull toxins in vaccines. The older generations didnt deal with as much pollution, nor did they have drug companies pushing all kinds of harmful drugs on them. Family was important to the older generations, while kids for the past 20 or so years have had to deal with things like depression cause of mass divorce, and over all break ups of families. Even on a spiritual level, the older generations were told they were loved by a higher power, and from that had a feeling of self worth. While todays kids are told they are animals, and its survival of the fittest. Thats not to say the older generations were right about that higher power, but you can see how the different mind set could contribute.

My wife has worked for hospice for the last 10 years. She tells me all the time how thier patients are just getting younger and younger with every passing year.

• Like 1

There is a marked difference in the health of people not afraid to go to the doctor at the slightest discomfort and those who cannot afford a doctor. After ten years of mandatory healthcare for all the playing field will be level again. Except, of course, for the cases of McPuke abuse...

In some cases it will help. But I think governments who protect corperations, like those putting floride in the water, or drug companies pushing all kinds of cover the symptoms instead of curing the diease drugs will be impossible to stop. 0bama just appointed one of the top CEO's from monsanto, to the head of the FDA. I personaly believe they want most of us dead, and are hitting us with soft kill methods from many angles.

In some cases it will help. But I think governments who protect corperations, like those putting floride in the water, or drug companies pushing all kinds of cover the symptoms instead of curing the diease drugs will be impossible to stop. 0bama just appointed one of the top CEO's from monsanto, to the head of the FDA. I personaly believe they want most of us dead, and are hitting us with soft kill methods from many angles.

Naturally there are added factors, where I am not sure whether fluoride is one of them. But allowing antibiotics and anabolica as growth enhancer, pesticides that are prohibited in many other parts of the world and certain sugar surrogates surely does not help the situation. But that does not help with America's biggest heath problem: Chronic disease. And those are caused by lack of quick treatment.

Many old people lived through years of austerity where food was scarce but generally wholesome. This is a perfect formula for a good and healthy long life.

A life of abundance put tremendous stress on our bodies and generally shortens life considerably.

America is the culture of excess and this is especially true of its food habits, coupled to a culture where everything is done by car, and this is where you should look for the difference between the USA and the rest of the developed world.

Br Cornelius

Well said BR. Its hard for me to buy organic food all the time, cause I just cant afford it. But I do get the best vitamin drink on the planet and we all take it daily. A nasty flu was sweeping through my area a few weeks ago. Both my kids got it. My one year old was over it in 3 days, and never got a temp over 101. My seven year old got it to, both confirmed by a pee test at the doctors. I had to make him stay home for 2 days so he didnt get anyone else sick, even though he was begging me to let him go. His fever never got above 100, and only lasted one day.

If I recall from reading this a couple of weeks ago, the US is at 75, Switzerland (or maybe Sweden) is at the top at 79, and there are something like 15 other countries between the US and the top.

So basically you've got the top 17 industrialized nations with a life expectancy between 75 and 79.

Is that really such a significant gap? Especially when one considers how different the US is vs the other nations above us. I would bet that if you looked at auto accidents alone it would make up much of that difference.

Either way, I don't feel that its a condemnation of the US healthcare system or US lifestyle.

• Like 1

If I recall from reading this a couple of weeks ago, the US is at 75, Switzerland (or maybe Sweden) is at the top at 79, and there are something like 15 other countries between the US and the top.

So basically you've got the top 17 industrialized nations with a life expectancy between 75 and 79.

Is that really such a significant gap? Especially when one considers how different the US is vs the other nations above us. I would bet that if you looked at auto accidents alone it would make up much of that difference.

Either way, I don't feel that its a condemnation of the US healthcare system or US lifestyle.

The significant gap is not old age, the significant gap is the amount of canes (or crutches) you need to get there.

Well said BR. Its hard for me to buy organic food all the time, cause I just cant afford it. But I do get the best vitamin drink on the planet and we all take it daily. A nasty flu was sweeping through my area a few weeks ago. Both my kids got it. My one year old was over it in 3 days, and never got a temp over 101. My seven year old got it to, both confirmed by a pee test at the doctors. I had to make him stay home for 2 days so he didnt get anyone else sick, even though he was begging me to let him go. His fever never got above 100, and only lasted one day.

Considering there's not a "pee test" for the flu, I would guess that they didn't have the flu. The rapid tests that doctors perform in office are done by swabbing the back of the throat or nasal passages.

As far as buying organic food is concerned, save your money. There is no evidence that it is any better or worse for you than the regular stuff. Corn is corn.

Our healthcare system is based on profit for sickness. The drug companies, doctors, hospitals, etc. get more money if more people are sick, and if people are kept sick longer. This is a twisted and warped incentive to keep people taking pills, going to the doctor, etc. Does anyone else think that this is just a little messed up?

Capitalism touts the profit incentive as the engine that drives innovation, but when the profit incentive comes at the price of another's health, is that morally right?

On the flip side the insurance companies have incentive to keep you healthy, as they do not want to keep paying for you, so that should be a counter-balance of sorts, but still something is a little off about our healthcare system...

Edited by Einsteinium

One quote can summarize my answer to you, Lilly.

#yolo

Personaly I think a number of things contribute. The older generation didnt eat GM foods from birth. Didnt get injected with anywhere near the amounts of harmfull toxins in vaccines. The older generations didnt deal with as much pollution, nor did they have drug companies pushing all kinds of harmful drugs on them. Family was important to the older generations, while kids for the past 20 or so years have had to deal with things like depression cause of mass divorce, and over all break ups of families. Even on a spiritual level, the older generations were told they were loved by a higher power, and from that had a feeling of self worth. While todays kids are told they are animals, and its survival of the fittest. Thats not to say the older generations were right about that higher power, but you can see how the different mind set could contribute.

My wife has worked for hospice for the last 10 years. She tells me all the time how thier patients are just getting younger and younger with every passing year.

Huh.... You'd think it was the other way round. Most older people (70+) that I know have lots of medications and get several vaccines a year. If it was the medications doing us in, the elderly would be gone quick. The difference is that the Elderly go to see their doctor like 20 times more often then any person under 35. So a 20 year old gets Obese, and gets diabetes, but does nothing about it for 10 years. It is no wonder that our young people are sicker... they are operating out of ignorance. And legislating the size of a soda cup is really just not going to help.

These is just several generations of lazy, entitled young people out there. It is easier for them to sit and play 10 hours of video games, then to actually go out and play football in their 20 foot by 20 foot yard. It is easier to eat stuff already made then to go to the kitchen and even open a can of soup. Lazy is the word of the day here.

Considering there's not a "pee test" for the flu, I would guess that they didn't have the flu. The rapid tests that doctors perform in office are done by swabbing the back of the throat or nasal passages.

As far as buying organic food is concerned, save your money. There is no evidence that it is any better or worse for you than the regular stuff. Corn is corn.

BS there isnt. I watched it happen. It wasnt a test where they send it to a lab. It was more like a pregnancy test where you pee on a stick. It was the first time Ive ever seen it, but it happened. She was even able to tell me the type of flu from it.

Of course there is evidence that GM corn is horrible for consumption. A freakin insect would die after one bite.

We can not deny that medications have helped a lot of people, but then people stuff their faces with junk foods and GM foods, and wonder why they are ill!

Edited by freetoroam

If anyone tries to take my awesome Burger King away, there will be hell to pay. I'll trade a few health problems for delicious food any day. Didn't that idiot Michelle Obama ban the sale of more than 1 liter of soda in New York, when she herself is overweight? Yeah... we sure do have rights lol.

BS there isnt. I watched it happen. It wasnt a test where they send it to a lab. It was more like a pregnancy test where you pee on a stick. It was the first time Ive ever seen it, but it happened. She was even able to tell me the type of flu from it.

Of course there is evidence that GM corn is horrible for consumption. A freakin insect would die after one bite.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/rapidlab.htm

Nope, no urine test. There is a urine test for pneumonia, but not for flu.

And while my corn comment wasn't in reference to GM food (you do know that organic and GM aren't related, right?), I'll still play. While there is no evidence that organic food is any better or worse for you than non-organic, there is likewise no evidence that GM anything is horrible for consumption. But please feel free to post your pages of Argumentum ad Monsantium here to prove me wrong.

You know that your own eyewitness testimony is only worth what faith others put on it.

I'd never heard of a flu pee test. For discussion purposes it does not exist unless you can reference it....

As to GM foods, that seems to me to still be in Conspiricy-Thead-land. Almost all food we eat today, unless it specifically says otherwise, is GM to some extent.

I'd never heard of a flu pee test. For discussion purposes it does not exist unless you can reference it....

But why would Preacher lie about that?

After a quick bit of internet research - type A influenza appears to increase the amount of Histamines in Urine, so a diagnostic marker exists, at least.

• Like 1

Here's what I do know... my daughter, her boyfriend and their three roommates are all between the ages of 19 and 25. Not a single one of them have health insurance but they all work full time. This could be part of the problem.

• Like 1