Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virginia stands in defiance

Drayno

http://hamptonroads....our-gun-control

^ Article about it

http://lis.virginia....=bil&val=hb2340 < ---- Legislation information

The purpose of the bill?

"Prevent any agency, political subdivision, or employee of Virginia from assisting the Federal government of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, detention, arrest, search, or seizure, under the authority of any federal statute enacted, or Executive Order or regulation issued, after December 31, 2012, infringing the individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms by imposing new restrictions on private ownership or private transfer of firearms, firearm magazines, ammunition, or components thereof."

I'm glad my state is standing resolute.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 3

This whole gun control drama is just another stitch pulled out of the fabric that makes the county whole. We're becoming more and more divided. Immigration will be next probably.

• Like 4

I cannot say that we are not divided. That would be a lie. Immigration, unfortunately, seems to be the next division.

Virginia has a rich history; the first three presidents were Virginians, so there is a special attachment to the origins of our country. Considering Virginia was apart of the first 13 colonies, was apart of the Confederacy in the Civil War, and continues to this day to be one of two Commonwealths in the US - there is a strong individuality in this state.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 3

Here comes the old 'Divide & Rule'. Also, inflammatory topics like gun-control and immigration distract Joe Public's attention away from what nasty little plots our masters are cooking up behind our backs!

• Like 5

I cannot say that we are not divided. That would be a lie. Immigration, unfortunately, seems to be the next division.

Virginia has a rich history; the first three presidents were Virginians, so there is a special attachment to the origins of our country. Considering Virginia was apart of the first 13 colonies, was apart of the Confederacy in the Civil War, and continues to this day to be one of two Commonwealths in the US - there is a strong individuality in this state.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

• Like 2

So basically, a state has outright said "we don't care what the Federal Government says, we're going to stand by the Constitution".

I don't know if this is brave, moral, stupid, insane or just plain laying the groundwork for Civil War II.

• Like 2

Immigration will be next probably.
Obamma has scheduled a discussion on immigration Teusday from Las Vegas..so your not too far off there.

So basically, a state has outright said "we don't care what the Federal Government says, we're going to stand by the Constitution".

I don't know if this is brave, moral, stupid, insane or just plain laying the groundwork for Civil War II.

Actually several states have said this. Also sherrifs within states. This one is the one being publicized today. Beyond California, Illinois, and New York I have not heard anyone want to go more restricitive but could be wrong.

• Like 2

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thus to Tyrants, indeed.

1724915-Virginia_State_Flag-Virginia.gif

It is probably a combination of all of the things you said. A good example of Virginia's rebellious streak at work.

Actually several states have said this. Also sherrifs within states. This one is the one being publicized today. Beyond California, Illinois, and New York I have not heard anyone want to go more restricitive but could be wrong.

Sheriff's from Kentucky, Oregon, Texas, California, Missouri, Idaho, Alabama, Colorado, South Carolina, Georgia, Minnesota, Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Ohio, New York, Utah, and Oklahoma - among other states.

• Like 3

Obamma has scheduled a discussion on immigration Teusday from Las Vegas..so your not too far off there.

well and it went great, obama's homec (il) state gave ok to dmv to issue illegals driver lisence.

A lot of cities have enacted some pretty tough gun control laws already and the criminals are still getting them. If they can't legally buy them they will just steal them or find illegal means to buy them. Lanza stole the guns he used to murder those kids with. He had already been turned down when he tried to purchase one. The only thing that would of stopped Lanza would of been someone paying attention to his mental illness.

It seems like a lot of states are passing laws that make the federal law null and void in their state. I have to wonder how this will end.

• Like 2

well and it went great, obama's homec (il) state gave ok to dmv to issue illegals driver lisence.

I don't understand that at all.

A lot of cities have enacted some pretty tough gun control laws already and the criminals are still getting them. If they can't legally buy them they will just steal them or find illegal means to buy them. Lanza stole the guns he used to murder those kids with. He had already been turned down when he tried to purchase one. The only thing that would of stopped Lanza would of been someone paying attention to his mental illness.

It seems like a lot of states are passing laws that make the federal law null and void in their state. I have to wonder how this will end.

The bill was approved by the Virginia House of Delegates. Someone compared it to nullification; of course, one could cite the Supremacy Clause in the case of a state exercising the 10th amendment. However, the bill does not seem to be nullification at all - it's more of a, "If you try to enforce this on our land, good luck." It's essentially a declaration of challenge to Washington.

Edited by Eonwe

I don't understand that at all.

A drivers license pretty much guarantees all future prospects of illegals voting in that state should I.D. laws ever be forced. They want those votes.

Edit: typo.

Edited by Wickian

i always thought you need to be citizen to vote, not just have DL. guess i was wrong

Immigrants allowed to vote through loopholes means more voters for the Democrats.

Edited by Eonwe

The states have to follow Federal law and the Constitution while the Federal government has to follow the Constitution, the Second Amendment says that it 'shall not be infringed'. Any gun control laws infringe on this Amendment. The Federal government is acting unconstitutionally.

The states have to follow Federal law and the Constitution while the Federal government has to follow the Constitution, the Second Amendment says that it 'shall not be infringed'. Any gun control laws infringe on this Amendment. The Federal government is acting unconstitutionally.

true, but what if state and federal laws contradict. like medical marijuana laws in ca.state says it is legal, than feds come say it is not, destroy plants, arrest\fine legal (according to the state) owners.

It use to be State Law trumped Federal Law but that was changed some years ago.

true, but what if state and federal laws contradict. like medical marijuana laws in ca.state says it is legal, than feds come say it is not, destroy plants, arrest\fine legal (according to the state) owners.

'State Laws and U.S. Constitution

Because of the Supremacy Clause, state laws cannot supersede the constitutional rights afforded all U.S. citizens under federal law. No state law can abolish or reduce the rights afforded by the U.S. Constitution. For example, Article 17 of the Constitution expressly forbids forcible slavery, and declares it a right of every U.S. citizen to be free of forced servitude. State law therefore cannot allow slavery at the state level, as this would violate residents’ federal constitutional rights.'

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

That is definitely one way to interpret it. Many Sheriffs across the country see this course of action by Washington as unconstitutional, and as a result are willing to implement precautions such as arresting and imprisoning federal agents who try to enforce these policies. That is the approach they have taken in Texas. What Virginia will do, I cannot say. But I can say that I will be paying very close attention to what happens within my state.

After the Civil War. States rights were essentially dismantled under a national government.

• Like 1

yes, on paper it is how it should be, but in reality, there are plenty of gray areas, ans loopholes. it doesn't really help you if feds arrest you for something state says you can do. you are arrested.

After the Civil War. States rights were essentially dismantled under a national government.

yes, on paper it is how it should be, but in reality, there are plenty of gray areas, ans loopholes. it doesn't really help you if feds arrest you for something state says you can do. you are arrested.

Supremacy Clause

'This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.'

Edited by Hasina