Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rifles, Shotguns, and Pistols?!

Yamato

i was debating, its you who comes on and insults me. You refuse to answer any of my questions,you just start with insulting me. i told you before, i am not going to just lie down and say nothing. But seeing that i am an adult, from now on I will, you keep insulting me and i am ok by that, but would be much happier if you could answer a question once in a while, but do not want to put you under pressure or anything, if you can not answer it, fine, just insult me instead. :tu:

You said that your questions weren't being answered. I'll answer any you have.

I said i was debating!!! you know damn well the questioning is not about this thread alone. the first question i asked was to your clone Michelle, who once again could not stick to the original topic without trying to shoot me through the keyboard.

Excuse me?

Nibs

I think a question that has gone largely unanswered in this thread is Yamato's OP request on suggestions for a good firearm they like and would recommend.

Personally, I like a shotgun. I have a more modern one that pumps, my hubby has a nice vintage one that cracks open. It's nice for firing in the back 40. I'm not a fan of big rifles in general, but I've fired a couple smaller ones I liked at the local gun club. Like straight stock hunting rifles without any extra handles or banana clips. I tend to do my finer marksmanship with archery rather than firearms. And I guess I'm odd- I like firing my hand crossbow, but I'm not comfortable with hand guns.

I prefer to use a gun that has good sights rather than attach a scope. But har, I like to use the scope on my crossbow.

But then for me, my firearms are just for some target practice and perhaps at some point if a predator gets into our future chicken coop. I don't do hunting yet, I don't feel I'm skilled enough for that. I would never use a gun for home defense, that just isn't the way I was raised.

• Like 1

I think a question that has gone largely unanswered in this thread is Yamato's OP request on suggestions for a good firearm they like and would recommend.

Personally, I like a shotgun. I have a more modern one that pumps, my hubby has a nice vintage one that cracks open. It's nice for firing in the back 40. I'm not a fan of big rifles in general, but I've fired a couple smaller ones I liked at the local gun club. Like straight stock hunting rifles without any extra handles or banana clips. I tend to do my finer marksmanship with archery rather than firearms. And I guess I'm odd- I like firing my hand crossbow, but I'm not comfortable with hand guns.

I prefer to use a gun that has good sights rather than attach a scope. But har, I like to use the scope on my crossbow.

But then for me, my firearms are just for some target practice and perhaps at some point if a predator gets into our future chicken coop. I don't do hunting yet, I don't feel I'm skilled enough for that. I would never use a gun for home defense, that just isn't the way I was raised.

I could recommend different types but it depends on the use for the gun. Home defense, hunting small game, hunting large game, target shooting, etc.

Nibs

Based on your criteria, I would recommend a 30-06 or .270. Both will have quite a bit of power (actually, quite a bit, they'll blow up small game like groundhogs, rabbits, etc.), you'll be able to find both in a wood finish without a pistol grip (which is what everyone thinks is 'scary') and the ammo is easy to find.

To be honest though, the AR-15 is popular for several reasons; highly customizable, readily available ammo, light weight, and accurate. If you have a woman companion, the 30-06 and .270 may be difficult for her to fire, but she would have no issue with an AR-15.

• Like 2

Hey I like to use sights more than scopes too! I did mount a scope on my 30-30 but I opted for see-through mounts so I can still use the sights if I want which are an excellent design and easy to use. It took me some time to get comfortable with the scope to be honest. I was worried about how close my eye was to the thing and getting scope-bit by the recoil.

• Like 1

I could recommend different types but it depends on the use for the gun. Home defense, hunting small game, hunting large game, target shooting, etc.

Nibs

I identified the purpose, the potential uses, in the OP.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend a 30-06 or .270. Both will have quite a bit of power (actually, quite a bit, they'll blow up small game like groundhogs, rabbits, etc.), you'll be able to find both in a wood finish without a pistol grip (which is what everyone thinks is 'scary') and the ammo is easy to find.

To be honest though, the AR-15 is popular for several reasons; highly customizable, readily available ammo, light weight, and accurate. If you have a woman companion, the 30-06 and .270 may be difficult for her to fire, but she would have no issue with an AR-15.

I understand why ARs are popular but I have a few issues with them. The magazines on a lot of ARs are given a really bad rep, and the difference in quality between a high-end AR and a low-end AR seems to be huge. This is going to be one more rifle for life, I want to make sure it's of surpassing quality, and I don't really want to plunk down over $2,000 for a high end AR that's made out of plastic parts and winds up being boo-bait for the bureaucrats just for the way that it looks. If I was going to buy a spooky "assault" rifle, I'd choose an AK over an AR.

In my freshman year in college, some friends and I would take our guns up a mountain behind the campus and fire them at targets on a hillside standing on a subterranean water tower. Out of all the guns we had, the 30-06 was special because when we fired it, the hollow space beneath the concrete under our feet would resonate and cause a humming sound in the tower. Very cool, but yeah that's as much gun as I'm looking for. I'm really looking at either of the two cartridges you mentioned, in part just because of their availability.

• Like 1

Hey I like to use sights more than scopes too! I did mount a scope on my 30-30 but I opted for see-through mounts so I can still use the sights if I want which are an excellent design and easy to use. It took me some time to get comfortable with the scope to be honest. I was worried about how close my eye was to the thing and getting scope-bit by the recoil.

I have the same set up on my rifle. It works well if you leave the scope sighted in for 100 yards and you can use the iorn sights for closer targets.

• Like 1

I have the same set up on my rifle. It works well if you leave the scope sighted in for 100 yards and you can use the iorn sights for closer targets.

Yep that was exactly my plan too!

No one will ever take our guns. I'm not too worried.

Will they ever take our Due Process? Our right to remain silent? Our right to privacy in our persons and property without a search warrant? The answer is they've taken all of these things in disturbing new "laws" they're trying to pedal as important for our security. Even when we're under attack over here because of our support for oppressive regimes over there, our troops should be here defending our freedom, not jeopardizing our freedom by defending some despot's oil wells The reason we can't defend our own borders is because we're more interested in the border between Iraq and Syria or Afghanistan and Pakistan than we are between Texas and Mexico.

With all this talk about gun violence from Washington DC, I'd like to take the floor and talk to Washington DC about bomb violence.

• Like 1

I identified the purpose, the potential uses, in the OP.

Whoops. Sorry, missed it. Got sidetracked. My bad.

:)

Nibs

Sorry to admit this, but there ARE guns in the afterlife! Luckily, though, you can't kill a dead person. All kidding aside, the only thing that survives death is memory and the desire to experience the memories of others. If any of those memories involve firearms, they're vividly lifelike. Believe it or not, I fired a Thompson submachine gun during my afterlife experience. It was fun! But right here in reality, I am dead against gun ownership - with an accent on "dead!" If you're interested in my afterlife experiences, check out the ad for my book right here on the home page.

Sorry to admit this, but there ARE guns in the afterlife! Luckily, though, you can't kill a dead person. All kidding aside, the only thing that survives death is memory and the desire to experience the memories of others. If any of those memories involve firearms, they're vividly lifelike. Believe it or not, I fired a Thompson submachine gun during my afterlife experience. It was fun! But right here in reality, I am dead against gun ownership - with an accent on "dead!" If you're interested in my afterlife experiences, check out the ad for my book right here on the home page.

In best eric cartman voice "thanks for the laughs fella" i will continue to live here in reality till my time expires,when that day comes i will experience my own dont need a book.Thanks for the offer though