Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientology and the cloak of religion

glorybebe

Scientology is a religion. Of that there is no doubt.

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service says so, and in this country, that's pretty much the final word.....

But, after reading Lawrence Wright's searing new investigative book, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, my usual indifference has given way to concern.

On second thought, make that fright. And not just about L. Ron Hubbard's secretive army of adherents.

Because Wright's book demonstrates in granular detail what an organization with enough money and zealous acolytes can do once it has wrapped itself in a religious cloak: assault, conspire, burgle, forge, perjure, spy, bully and intimidate anyone who gets in its way.

Convince your flock that they are above earthly laws, and they go about their task with, well, religious ferocity....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/29/f-rfa-macdonald-scientology.html

I am surprised that this book was actually published! Scientologists usually do get their way, legally or illegally.

• Like 3

*sigh* ...Scientologists...

128228590426.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine in the late 70's had a father that was a 17th level Thetan, or something like that, and was abandoned by his father to the 'Church' in Florida. At about 15 years old his days consisted of, waking up in the morning, being reeducated, going out onto the street all day to solicit donations or to recruit new members. He'd be rewarded with privileges or better food if he could bring back either, or better yet, both. Then, 'Dinner' (based on how well he did that day), then reeducation, then sleep.

He did it for three years, ran away at 18 and then reconnected to his mother. He's happier now :), but 'religiously' scarred. If you even mention the word 'religion' his blood boils.

I've always believed it's a cult, and I'd like to see them lose their religious exemption.

• Like 4

I've always believed it's a cult, and I'd like to see them lose their religious exemption.

:yes: Me, too.
  • Like 1

It's basically now a religion though sense the 'cult leader' per say died and the church is now run by multiple leaders. Just look at Christianity, in the early days it was considered a cult due to following one man, now though it's just a religion.

Scientology is as much a religion as all the "established" religions are. There really is no difference.

Fiction is fiction by any other name.

• Like 1

He did it for three years, ran away at 18 and then reconnected to his mother. He's happier now :), but 'religiously' scarred. If you even mention the word 'religion' his blood boils.

That is unfair to those religions which are harmless, and actually benevolent.

While they are all fiction, their content is very different. There is good fiction, and there is lousy fiction.

• Like 1

Scientology is as much a religion as all the "established" religions are. There really is no difference.

Fiction is fiction by any other name.

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people. Religion is long standing tradition, and be it right or wrong, had a lot to do with our society today. It is not a religion at all the way I see it. The did blackmail their way into religious status after all.

• Like 3

It's basically now a religion though sense the 'cult leader' per say died and the church is now run by multiple leaders. Just look at Christianity, in the early days it was considered a cult due to following one man, now though it's just a religion.

Does that not make trying to pull the same crap in modern times simply disgusting and abhorrent?

Lisa McPherson should have been the end of Scientology.

Does that not make trying to pull the same crap in modern times simply disgusting and abhorrent?

Depends on what you define as 'crap.'

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people.

And how is that different from plenty of other religions? Not at all, of course.

That argument does not hold water.

And how is that different from plenty of other religions? Not at all, of course.

That argument does not hold water.

Neither does your post.

All mainstream religions are based on atonement of your own wrongs and helping other people.

Finding your Thetan level!!! and future wives for Tom Cruise are not the same deal.

• Like 1

There are some interesting stories from x scientologists out there. Very scary stuff.

Scientology isn't a religion. It's a business that obtained it's "religious" status with the IRS with some very suspicious means.

Most religions are free. You go to the services and learn the doctrine. No charge. You can pick up their religious books and writings at most of their locations for free.

Scientology does NOT do this. In order to obtain "enlightenment" or become "clear" you must pay large sums of money for every step.

I could go on all day about how Scientology is a dangerous, abusive business. NOT a religion.

Nibs

• Like 1

Scientology isn't a religion. It's a business that obtained it's "religious" status with the IRS with some very suspicious means.

Most religions are free. You go to the services and learn the doctrine. No charge. You can pick up their religious books and writings at most of their locations for free.

Scientology does NOT do this. In order to obtain "enlightenment" or become "clear" you must pay large sums of money for every step.

I could go on all day about how Scientology is a dangerous, abusive business. NOT a religion.

Nibs

Exactly. They are ruthless in their dealings. Hiding murder and extortion behind the label of religion frustrates the hell out of me. I sure hope all this crap Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes caused actually draws so much negative attention that the 'church' starts to erode.

Scientolgy is a cult that does not believe in a God, merely spirits...whoop-t-do!

Scientolgy is a cult that does not believe in a God, merely spirits...whoop-t-do!

The whoop-t-do is the murder, extortion and harassment that the followers practice.

• Like 1

I remember reading L. Ron Hubbards book, which claimed to be the greastest self help book ever. Self help? Three quarters of the way through it, in big bold print " DO NOT TRY THIS BY YOUR SELF" After I had finished laughing I through the piece of s**t away.

I also remember in the late seventies, taking one of their free personality test/profiles. After only a few minutes with a scientologist I felt extremely uncomfortable and had a hard time getting the hell out of there. It was really quite unnerving and to this day when every I hear anything about scientology I 'm thinking ya...right, what a crock of s**t.

The whoop-t-do is the murder, extortion and harassment that the followers practice.

I meant, no big deal!

All mainstream religions are based on atonement of your own wrongs and helping other people.

Oh boy. Where did you get that one from? Afaic, you pulled that claim out of thin air.

That would describe islam too, which is a so-called mainstream religion.

• 2 months later...

There is one cult leader. The Church of Scientology is the cult and David Miscavige rules with an iron fisit. Then there is the FreeZone, comporised of several groups and individuals that practice Scientology free of any infulence of the "church".

• Like 1

One big difference is Scientology was penned by one man in order to fleece people.

Most every religion is pinned by one man. I can´t think of any that is the result of a co-operative effort.

So take that artificial distinction and flush it.