Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tenessee "teachers to inform on gay students"

Sir Wearer of Hats

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/01/30/1514051/dont-say-gay-tennessee/?mobile=nc

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/30/tennessee_dont_say_gay_bill_now_requires_teachers_to_out_their_students/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/tennessee-dont-say-gay-bill_n_2582390.html

(can't find any conservative reports on this one in the sake of bias balance, sorry guys I looked).

So basically it would mean teachers would HAVE to inform parents if a student told them they were gay. By law. No matter what the teacher thinks would happen. This bothers me, as as a teacher I've been told things in confidence that if I were to tell the parents would result in trouble for the student (so I told my principal instead). It also means that whereas previously schools could be seen as a place where students could "be themselves" without fear of being beaten/ostracised/whatever by their family and to get councelling etc in order to make a mature decision about their sexuality. Now it means if they reach out for help, the family will find out not when the person in question is ready, but when the school has to tell them.

• Like 7

This worlds so messed up Im about to move my computer to the closet. :td:

• Like 2

This is the stupid stigma that gets created when people feel they have to 'Come Out' simply because of their biological nature. No amount of words can describe how much this annoys me; the very fact that there are laws created by other mammals that could restrict my freedom if my nature didn't play into the established consensus.

I don't even know if the figures here are completely accurate but I found the picture somewhat daunting.

tumblr_ls8ti0r7Y21r2dam1o1_400.jpg

We may have evolved to great intelligence to the point where we're the most intelligent species in the animal kingdom, but it has clearly come at a macabre price and loss of humanity.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 5

Where does this idealogy come from, really?

Hypothetically the next step is, Jenny gives Christina a kiss on the cheek and the playground supervisor is legally obligated to report it to the principal.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

The Tennessee Waltz!

Hey shut up, that's one of my favourite tunes...

*I was waltzing, with my darling, to the Tennessee waltz!...*

Remember in the old days at school dances you had to keep six inches between you?

• Like 1

Hey shut up, that's one of my favourite tunes...

*I was waltzing, with my darling, to the Tennessee waltz!...*

Remember in the old days at school dances you had to keep six inches between you?

In Scotland it was ten inches. :)

Did you have to ask a young lady, 'May I have the pleasure of this dance?' (serious question)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Teachers should not tell the kids parents .if the kids tell them anything expect doing harm to themselves.

• Like 2

This bothers me, as as a teacher I've been told things in confidence that if I were to tell the parents would result in trouble for the student (so I told my principal instead).

Bothers me too since I'm going into teaching... Disgusts me to think of having to do that. Like that kind of thing even matters.

• Like 3

In Scotland it was ten inches. :)

Did you have to ask a young lady, 'May I have the pleasure of this dance?' (serious question)

Yeh okay, "everthing's" bigger in Scotland. :)

Well, in my day you could politely ask as much as you wanted, it didn't matter to the lassie. But when they wanted to dance, they just grabbed you and pealed you onto the dance floor.

• Like 1

Well, in my day you could politely ask as much as you wanted, it didn't matter to the lassie. But when they wanted to dance, they just grabbed you and pealed you onto the dance floor.

Scandalous!

(everything is bigger in our minds only.... 'tis the whisky that's to blame)

• Like 1

3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

• Like 2

Scandalous!

(everything is bigger in our minds only.... 'tis the whisky that's to blame)

Yeah, 26'ers of whisky seem smaller now... What the heck were we talkin' about again? Oh, yeah.

So. If Jenny gives Christina a peck on the cheek on the playground, and the playground supervisor sees it, they'll have to one day report it to the principal/parents/cops? Yeah, that'll fix all of societal's ills.

Sad state of affairs. :(

• Like 1

3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

Pshaw, (you know what we meant!).

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Though I'm sure, in Texas, you had to dance an arms length apart. :)

Like that'll stop any bow chikka wow wow.

• Like 2

Ok......so? Let's just say for giggles, I'm gay and I'm in Tennessee and someone reports me......to whomever is supposed to have this sort of thing reported to them? What's this person going to do? Pray for me? Lay hands on me and drive out the evil demon of homosexuality? What is it that they want to do once they "target" some gay person or lesbian?

Being gay is simply a function of who you are......sort of like being right or left handed or having blue or brown eyes. Hell, in my little back water, po-dunk high school in rural South Carolina in the sixties and more specifically within my own class we had/have eight gay persons. Six male and two female. (please let's don't get all bogged down in correct terminology, Gay/lesbian). Out of a graduating class of one hundred thirty-seven. Granted, I was surprised at a couple of them, but that's really neither here nor there. Had anyone come out back then in that place, at that time, I can assure you someone might have gotten bashed. Hey, rednecks, we had them then and they're still around, ok?

So? What is to be gained by reporting them?

• Like 4

'tis a shame they don't report school bullies with as much gusto.

Ohh but "we all know that little Billy wouldn't bully anyone, he's so kind and gentle - you're slandering him by saying that and we'll sue!"

And words to that effect.

Ok......so? Let's just say for giggles, I'm gay and I'm in Tennessee and someone reports me......to whomever is supposed to have this sort of thing reported to them? What's this person going to do? Pray for me? Lay hands on me and drive out the evil demon of homosexuality?

The parents. And Lord only knows what they'll do. The reaction'll range from acceptance, verbal abuse, ostracision, physical abuse and murder.

Hurrah for the law then!

• Like 3

Surely being a teacher should be similar to being a Priest, in terms of confidentiality at least.

• Like 1

Some of these kids are suicidal because of the pressure of their situation. And a suicidal person needs some understanding and support, not an additional pressure to worry over. Being able to confide in a trusted teacher might be the last or only lifeline they have. Sad.

• Like 7

Surely being a teacher should be similar to being a Priest, in terms of confidentiality at least.

no. A teacher has more then an obligation to an individual and to God, they must also hold society and the wider andgreater good. If I were told something in confidence that endangered someone - even the person telling me - I have a legal and moral obligation to do something about it, it could be "tell someone else" but somethib mut be done.

We are trsined to always say"I cannot promise secrecy, I may have to tell someone else, even Mister X, thr Principal"

• Like 1

You know, we want teacher to be armed to protect our children from the possible attack from an armed crazy, then we want them to deal with all our children's physical and emotional issues, keep the bullies away, not discipline them, and oh yeah, teach them how to read and write. Now we want them to determine who's gay and who isn't?

.....and report it to the parents. Then face a law suit for defamation of character against that child for having said they thought he was gay.

Good luck with that one Buddy.

• Like 2

http://thinkprogress...ssee/?mobile=nc

http://www.salon.com...their_students/

http://www.huffingto..._n_2582390.html

(can't find any conservative reports on this one in the sake of bias balance, sorry guys I looked).

So basically it would mean teachers would HAVE to inform parents if a student told them they were gay. By law. No matter what the teacher thinks would happen. This bothers me, as as a teacher I've been told things in confidence that if I were to tell the parents would result in trouble for the student (so I told my principal instead). It also means that whereas previously schools could be seen as a place where students could "be themselves" without fear of being beaten/ostracised/whatever by their family and to get councelling etc in order to make a mature decision about their sexuality. Now it means if they reach out for help, the family will find out not when the person in question is ready, but when the school has to tell them.

It's really sad, because sometimes a student might get it so bad at home and feels a teacher is the next best thing to reach out for support..Lots of troubled kids will turn to their teachers, and lots of teachers turn to help the students ... Everyone needs someone to talk to...... This is like saying, screw the support and help you seek, you are going to to face your parents wrath, that's if they hate gays... Its a big screw you to the kids..