Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grathham prefers to forget its daughter

questionmark

Tony Blair & Nu Labour did far more lasting damage to this country than Thatcher ever did.

Tony Blair & Nu Labour did far more lasting damage to this country than Thatcher ever did.

I tend to doubt that.

I tend to doubt that.

Well, i've lived in this country through both of them & i can make that comparison. (Tony has definately got the the higher body count)

And what did Labour or Nu labour do to repeal or change anything that Thatcher allegedly did to ruin this country.

Give me as many examples as you can of conservative legislation that has been repealed or reversed by a successive labour government.

Lets start with, how many industries has labour re-nationalized?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

she was/is a despicable human being and quite frankly the worst prime minister we've had up till this current lot of vile vermin.

I don't get how anyone could possibly like someone who destroyed jobs and

destroyed hospitals etc.and intoduced the poll tax

she was/is a despicable human being and quite frankly the worst prime minister we've had up till this current lot of vile vermin.

I don't get how anyone could possibly like someone who destroyed jobs and

destroyed hospitals etc.and intoduced the poll tax

You prove my point, we still have the poll tax, but it's simply been rebranded 'council tax'

You prove my point, we still have the poll tax, but it's simply been rebranded 'council tax'

...but then you always had Council Rates to pay previously so you could just as easily say that Council Rates have been re-branded as Council Tax

The fact that she sacked the most ministers of any British Prime Minister - ever, should tell you everything you need to know about her winning personality and ability to be political.

Br Cornelius

To be fair, that was probably a point in her favour, considering the level of competence of your average Government Minister.

Well, i've lived in this country through both of them & i can make that comparison. (Tony has definately got the the higher body count)

And what did Labour or Nu labour do to repeal or change anything that Thatcher allegedly did to ruin this country.

Give me as many examples as you can of conservative legislation that has been repealed or reversed by a successive labour government.

Lets start with, how many industries has labour re-nationalized?

You don't really think renationalisation would create a bright new dawn for British industry, do you? It was nationlising them in the first place that made them so hopelessly uncompetitive and gave the Unions so much power. But destroying the entire industry in order to curb the power of the Unions was cutting off one's nose to spite one's Face taken to the ultimate.

The British Industrial decline was an inevitable response to the decline of empire. The golden years of British Heavy industry were based purely on providing the goods needed to run an empire and they were paid for by the raw materials which were extracted from the subject countries. Only whilst the empire existed in this master slave relationship did the logic and economics of British Heavy Industry make any sense.

The Nationalisation of British Industry was an attempt to stop the total collapse of an industrial base for which its dominent market had gradually declined. It should have evolved into a broad industrial strategy which encouraged Industry to discover new markets and develop more appropriate products without been fully exposed to cheaper competition. It was the class divide which had never been resolved which meant that such an industrial strategy was still born before it started. All sides thought it more expediant to settle old scores rather than getting round the table and deciding on a national strategy for the future.

Britain would be in a far worse state if it hadn't have had the North Sea Oil bonanza which allowed it to ignore its systemic issues, and of course the city which still uses old empire trading networks to funnels vast amounts of the trading wealth through London.

Meanwhile all Governments have presided over a century long decline of the British Nation with occassional boom bust cashins along the way. A tragic lack of vision on the part of all concerned. All we have to do is look to Germany to see how things could have been very different.

Thatcher's greatest crime is that she must have realized all this and decided to go for the quick buck option rather than addressing the real systemic crisis in the British Nation. That battle has yet to be waged and it will take a far greater leader than Thatcher to take us into a future that actually works for the whole nation.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

thatcher was total and utter scum and up here in the north east there are people waiting to have street partys when the old cow dies.she utterly destroyed our industries our communitys our hope and our futures .

her obsession with a greed based society which was so incompatible with north east culture drove my area of the country into a spiral of decline i doubt it will ever recover from .

i hate her so much i want the job of going into the demented old cow's room every day to tell her her husband is dead and when she does die she should be tied to a tree and left to the maggots.

Well, why should the Mad Old Bat be the only one who's recongised?

I find your comments disgusting and offensive.

And if anyone deserves to have a statue in Grantham it's Thatcher.

The Argies didn't like her much either! As far as I'm concerned, Maggie Thatcher was the best PM we've had in many a year. I can't begin to describe the present mob of lefty, wet-weekends we have in 'power' these days! Traitors to their own country - every man-jack of 'em! Teflon Tony B-LIAR being the worst of the lot!

*Pulls up comfy chair and opens pack of popcorn in anticipation..........

Correct. When you look at the political pygmies that we have in charge of our main parties today - Cameron, Miliband and Cleggie - it makes you yearn for the days when we had true statesmen in power, like Thatcher and Churchill.

I can't remember a time when Britain has had such second-rate politicians in power. How did we go from Thatcher to Cameron, Miliband and Cleggie in such as short time? I also find it hard to remember when we had left-wing political parties and right-wing political parties all taking part ind ecent debates. Nowadays the Tories, Liebour and LibDumbs are all anti-British lefty-liberal parties singing from the same hymn sheet.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Correct. When you look at the political pygmies that we have in charge of our main parties today - Cameron, Miliband and Cleggie - it makes you yearn for the days when we had true statesmen in power, like Thatcher and Churchill.

I can't remember a time when Britain has had such second-rate politicians in power. How did we go from Thatcher to Cameron, Miliband and Cleggie in such as short time? I also find it hard to remember when we had left-wing political parties and right-wing political parties all taking part ind ecent debates. Nowadays the Tories, Liebour and LibDumbs are all anti-British lefty-liberal parties singing from the same hymn sheet.

Please don't insult Churchill by mentioning him in the same breath as Thatcher. That would be offensive to to many people on to many levels.

Br Cornelius

I find your comments disgusting and offensive.

And if anyone deserves to have a statue in Grantham it's Thatcher.

Disgusitng & Offensive? What grudge do you hold against Sir Isaac Newton? Surely he's deserving of recognition?

• Like 1

Please don't insult Churchill by mentioning him in the same breath as Thatcher.

Churchill would likely have been an admirer of Thatcher. They were both Tories for a start.

And, whatever you believe, Thatcher and Churchill were the two greatest PMs of the 20th Century, and were heads and shoulders above any of the soppy political pygmies we have in parliament today.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Disgusitng & Offensive? What grudge do you hold against Sir Isaac Newton? Surely he's deserving of recognition?

So erecting a statue to Britain's greatest peace-time PM of the 20th Century and Britain's longest-serving PM of the 20th Century in her home town is an insult to Newton?

Yeah, okay.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Churchill would likely have been an admirer of Thatcher. They were both Tories for a start.

And, whatever you believe, Thatcher and Churchill were the two greatest PMs of the 20th Century, and were heads and shoulders above any of the soppy political pygmies we have in parliament today.

That is your opinion. My experience is that more than half of the British population rate her one of the worst.

A great leader is never so divisive of her subjects. Think on that.

Br Cornelius

So erecting a statue to Britain's greatest peace-time PM of the 20th Century and Britain's longest-serving PM of the 20th Century in her home town is an insult to Newton?

Yeah, okay.

i think you missed the sarcasm there.

Where, though, do you get the notion that she was Britain's greatest peace-time PM of the 20th Century? What exactly did she do, beyond giving the Argies what for, that did actually qualify for Greatness? She made Britain a Global Financial Powerhouse? Well, I think we can see now what a sound basis that made for long-term greatness*. And I really don't think you can just blame Blair/Brown/Cameroon; surely it's obvious to all now that the whole concept of the Global Financial Powerhouse was, on the whole, fraudulent, being based, as it is, on something that doesn't actually exist.

* sarcasm in, in case it wasn't apparent

That is your opinion. My experience is that more than half of the British population rate her one of the worst.

Show me the concrete evidence to back up your statement.

i think you missed the sarcasm there.

Where, though, do you get the notion that she was Britain's greatest peace-time PM of the 20th Century? What exactly did she do, beyond giving the Argies what for, that did actually qualify for Greatness? She made Britain a Global Financial Powerhouse? Well, I think we can see now what a sound basis that made for long-term greatness*. And I really don't think you can just blame Blair/Brown/Cameroon; surely it's obvious to all now that the whole concept of the Global Financial Powerhouse was, on the whole, fraudulent, being based, as it is, on something that doesn't actually exist.

* sarcasm in, in case it wasn't apparent

It was Thatcher, like all Tory Prime Minister before and since, who had to clean up the economic mess left to us by Labour. Remember, it was Labour who were in power for most of the 1970s when Britain's economy hit the doldrums and became the Sick Man of Europe. It was under Labour when Britain suffered under the Winter of Discontent. It was therefore left to Thatcher to clean up the economic mess that Labour made, just as it's now left up to Cameron to clean up the economic mess that Labour made. And Thatcher made a fine job of it, too. By the late Eighties Britain was booming, with annual economic growth approaching 6%. Ten years later Labour came to power and, before long, they bankrupted us.

Thatcher very much deserves a statue in her home town.

in related news:

Basildon offers Margaret Thatcher statue a new home

Basildon council has stepped up to offer a home to a £150,000 marble sculpture of Margaret Thatcher after it was snubbed by her home town.

The statue, famously decapitated in 2002 by a protester with a cricket bat, caused a storm last week when people in Baroness Thatcher’s home town of Grantham claimed it would be a “dubious honour” to put it on display.

Now the likeness of Britain's first female Prime Minister had been saved by devotees on Basildon council, in Essex, who want it to become the centrepiece of an estate redevelopment/

The statue was unveiled in 2002 but decapitated later that year. It was later restored and had been offered to the people of Grantham in Lincolnshire - where the Tory heavyweight was born.

Read more

Looks like Saint Margaret could get her peregrination point after all....

the centrepiece of an estate redevelopment?

I'm sure they'll treat it with the respect it deserves.

• Like 1