Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Department of Justice

Drayno

http://openchannel.n...-americans?lite

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

The 16-page memo, a copy of which was obtained by NBC News, provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against al-Qaida suspects abroad, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.

Two years from now ... "we believe that Ma Tucker, who runs the grocery store in Nosebleed Teneesese is actually a highly ranked member of Al Quiededa, and therefore we have lawfully executed a drone strike upon her command centre. Sadly this also resulted in the deaths of a dozen other people, but we're at war USA USA USA!".

• Like 5

Two years from now ... "we believe that Ma Tucker, who runs the grocery store in Nosebleed Teneesese is actually a highly ranked member of Al Quiededa, and therefore we have lawfully executed a drone strike upon her command centre. Sadly this also resulted in the deaths of a dozen other people, but we're at war USA USA USA!".

A new form of McCarthyism.

• Like 3

Dangerous policy and sounds like it's wide open to abuse. Hopefully it gets challenged and either overturned or gets a very detailed set of guidelines.

• Like 2

Dangerous policy and sounds like it's wide open to abuse. Hopefully it gets challenged and either overturned or gets a very detailed set of guidelines.

Charlottesville, Virginia became the first city in the US to ban drones in its airspace, or use of drones by any agency in the city - federal or local.

They need to lead by example.

• Like 3

It won't get challenged, or if it does, the corrupt judiciary will see it upheld.

That's what happened with the NDAA amendment which is just as unconstitutional as this particular usurpation. The District Court ruled the amendment unconstitutional, but Holder & Obama appealed, and the next court up overturned the lower court.

The Constitution is toast.

Charlottesville, Virginia became the first city in the US to ban drones in its airspace, or use of drones by any agency in the city - federal or local.

They need to lead by example.

And Pakistan banned it in their airspace. Doesn't stop them.

• Like 1

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

Sounds reasonable to me. Get them before there IS an active plot, which, of course, there always is.

I always had a particular dislike for the underwear bomber. The ACLU needs to pick a better candidate as a test case. I'll take the CIA's word that Anwar al-Aulaqi was a "bad guy."

On the other hand, I wouldn't want it to be precedent setting, either.

:no:

• Like 2

So, Lightly, you're obviously OK with more Islamic terrorist attacks, whether active or in planning stage.

I'm NOT.

Americans or otherwise, if they are associated with al-Qaeda, I say take them out in a puff of smoke.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

Of course, if you object to the entire premise you are automatically a suspect and are going to be watched 24/7.

A new form of McCarthyism.

That never dawned on me before. Probably because its so much worse than McCarthyism ,but you're right .

That never dawned on me before. Probably because its so much worse than McCarthyism ,but you're right .

I'm just personally inclined to believe it could be a set up for that type of deal.

So, Lightly, you're obviously OK with more Islamic terrorist attacks, whether active or in planning stage.

I'm NOT.

Americans or otherwise, if they are associated with al-Qaeda, I say take them out in a puff of smoke.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

No, of course NOT. I'm not OK with anyone attacking anyone. I'm not OK with (as i bolded) American citizens being killed because they are BELIEVED to be something EVEN if there is NO INTELLIGENCE to prove it. As stated in the alleged " confidential Justice Department memo "

:passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

Funny, where is all the rage and angst from the Gitmo, Black Sites, Rendition, and EIT types - oh wait, the Daddy Rabbit of this one has a D after his name, so it's all cool.

Funny, where is all the rage and angst from the Gitmo, Black Sites, Rendition, and EIT types - oh wait, the Daddy Rabbit of this one has a D after his name, so it's all cool.

What about us poor b******* without a D or an R after our names? What about us with an I after our names?

Obama governs like Bush on 5 Hour Energy or Redbull. My shame over what my government does in my name and with my measly tax dollars is as great as it was when Dubya was in office.

But you're right, there is some element of humor to see and listen to the Great Liberals defend tyranny, torture and usurpation. Perverse humor. :cry:

Perhaps the Department of Justice should change their mandate (and name) to the Department of Criminal Activity... Put them in charge of crime and as badly as they run things crime would become extinct in short order...

• Like 2

I failed to see the problem from day one as to the citizenship, if somebody declares war or joins a group that is waging war against the US, they should not be surprised to find themselves at the front end of an US missile. Always been like that, will never be anyway else. My problem is more that the bloke was targeted in a non-combat area, and that makes the use of a missile questionable.

No, of course NOT. I'm not OK with anyone attacking anyone. I'm not OK with (as i bolded) American citizens being killed because they are BELIEVED to be something EVEN if there is NO INTELLIGENCE to prove it. As stated in the alleged " confidential Justice Department memo "

:passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

Actually, thats not what it says whatsoever. Read it again. It doesnt say there needn't be intelligence to prove that they're part of al qaida... it says there need not be intelligence which proves that the al qaida member is actively engaged in a plot to attack the US...

it is what it says, but you are welcome to interpret and see it for yourself anyway you want. as long as it makes you happy, however it would not be reflection of reality in any way.

it is what it says, but you are welcome to interpret and see it for yourself anyway you want. as long as it makes you happy, however it would not be reflection of reality in any way.

:rolleyes:

"A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or “an associated force” -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S."

If you're going to argue against the policy, argue against the policy, not your own made up opinion of what the policy says.

Perhaps the Department of Justice should change their mandate (and name) to the Department of Criminal Activity... Put them in charge of crime and as badly as they run things crime would become extinct in short order...

Good idea!

With Fast And Furious already completed, they are on their way to some sort of National Medal. :tu: