Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gift-Giving Birds May Think Much Like People

Still Waters

If the gift-giving habits of jays are anything to go by, we may be surrounded by birds whose minds are in some ways remarkably similar to our own.

Male Eurasian jays, a common member of a bird family that also includes blue jays, crows and ravens, passed a food-giving test of whether they knew what their mates wanted to eat.

That deceptively simple ability hints at what scientists call a “theory of mind,” or a nuanced awareness of other individuals’ thoughts and feelings.

http://www.wired.com...theory-of-mind/

• Like 1

I never stop learning new things about the world around us!

Some birds are extremely smart. I recall reading an article that said crows could actually count.

Really? That doesn't surprise me, crows seem pretty adept at problem-solving.

Some birds are extremely smart. I recall reading an article that said crows could actually count.

Having studied and befriend crows ( :w00t: ), i'd argue they do more than count. They teach their offspring skills, they show extreme problem solving abilities. They remember and plan ahead. They have family group and 'region wide' gatherings nightly. They are generous to those who are kind to them and vengeful to those who aren't. :) I'd argue they're easily as smart as primates, if not moreso in some regards.

You might be interested in this video, a lecture by John Marzluff (I hope this one won't breach copyright, sigh)

[media=]

[/media]

One of the things I liked of that video and had never heard off before, is crows giving 'gifts' to people that feed them...

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=234952entry4480806

Really? That doesn't surprise me, crows seem pretty adept at problem-solving.

And up to 16 before they lose count.

Crows are also one of the few species that have shown the ability to create and use tools. There are some fascinating videos of crows using tools to sequentially solve relatively complex (to animals) problems in order to obtain a food treat, involving tools and what would appear to be creative problem-solving skills. Amazing stuff, and to me just puts another nail in the coffin of the meme that "humans are so 'special'".