Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are believers in the paranormal open to:

Timothy

Can all paranormal experiences be explained?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are there any paranormal phenomena that can't be explained by some normal and rational physical or psychological phenomena?

• Yes (Please provide example).
    • No

Are believers in the paranormal open to the idea that all paranormal phenomena can be explained by some normal physical or psychological happening?

I'm talking about things like hallucinations, mistaken reflections, unknown noises or shadows etc.

How about the idea that natural geological formations which exhibit higher EM readings somehow mess with peoples minds - rather than the higher readings being 'proof' of something more unexplainable.

Or that 'signs' that a building is haunted may have a very real and rational physical cause?

I'm not saying these things definitely aren't real - I just want to see if anyone can come up with anything that really has no possible known explanation!

I think it depends upon each case ,as a unique case .This is the point of debunking ,but making a broad statement such as : all ghost sightings are caused by static energy in the air from a lightening storm ,is not a good enough reason for me to dismiss all ghost sightings as just this explanation .....

Wait,I think I misread the question ....yeah I did ...there are a lot of examples of unexplainable stuff .Again,depends upon the case.

• Like 1

Wait,I think I misread the question ....yeah I did ...there are a lot of examples of unexplainable stuff .Again,depends upon the case.

Hey Simbi.

Yeah I'm just saying that potentially all cases could be explained by something 'normal'. I'm pretty skeptical about anything paranormal!

That 'science says no to ghosts' thread is a similar idea.

Edit: I want the people who have voted 'yes' to give examples :(

Edited by Timonthy

By definition paranormal is: of or pertaining to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena.

That of which is paranormal is -outside- of the realm that is considered 'normal'. The way I see it, if science can prove it or even generate a hypothesis or give great detail in -how- it -could- be possible then I would not consider that as 'paranormal'.

What I do consider paranormal is that of which is unexplainable ... absolutely unexplainable. However, there are times within the realm of 'normal' that I would consider more para than actually normal.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe."

--Carl Sagan

Hey Simbi.

Yeah I'm just saying that potentially all cases could be explained by something 'normal'. I'm pretty skeptical about anything paranormal!

That 'science says no to ghosts' thread is a similar idea.

Edit: I want the people who have voted 'yes' to give examples :(

Well,I would say events that had witnesses where it was a wild event,can recount it to someone who wasn't there ,and they can think of a reasonable cause,but in some cases,if they didn't witness it,and they are just being logical ,I don't think they can properly comment,given they weren't there...

Like for instance ,I'm sitting somewhere in my home ,and suddenly the room fills with the smell of roses ,or I heard a crash that sounds like a sonic boom ,or the unplugged boom box turns on .

I know my house ,I've had everything checked ,and yet this weird stuff occurs.

There's no rose perfume .I have. no medical issues causing sensory proplems .

There's no explanation for the crash noise ,nothing fell ,broke or crashed ,and the boom box is unplugged :..

There's not enough static in the city to turn it on unplugged.

I and in one case,one other person saw these events .

I know theres no other explanation,but someone who doesnt believe in anything ,despite not seeing it all,will insist theres a logical explanation to all these events.

Unless a non believer sees something for themselves ,its very hard to convince them otherwise .

And thats ususally how non believers are converted.

It finally happens to them . I still have high hopes a ghost is going to bite you ,sakari ,and orangepeaceful ,on the butt ;)

• Like 1

I can say not everything is paranormal. I normaly go in to a house to debunk to give the familes normal explaintions. And try my best in providing the family with an resonable amount of explations, if all else fails then and only then would, I consider a haunting.

I use science to prove; what these people are saying is, true. Mostly it is away too prove my hypothize is correct.

I belive ghost are a gilmps into a paralle universe.

Can you reword the title? Because the reason why something is Paranormal is Because we don't know how to explain it lol.

Edited by stevemagegod

I had a damaged interior door giving off emf where it was damaged. I checked around the door for another source and removed the door and checked it again. Just to make sure it was the door. I also dismantled the door and checked inside found nothing unusual. Just wood , card board and glue. Fhe emf was only coming from the damaged area.

;

Last time i checked. Only certain metals can be magnetized. Or electricity gives off magnetic fields

some things just defy explanation. that doesn't mean that they are paranormal, and it doesn't mean they aren't. just that we don't have the answer.

I had a damaged interior door giving off emf where it was damaged. I checked around the door for another source and removed the door and checked it again. Just to make sure it was the door. I also dismantled the door and checked inside found nothing unusual. Just wood , card board and glue. Fhe emf was only coming from the damaged area.

;

you actually took a door apart in your house out of curiosity.

wow.

I believe in the Paranormal, as in I believe that there are spirits and things beyond just this life that we live and see everyday. However I am more of a "need to see it to believe" kind of person. I have had a few experiences that make me believe this. One was seeing an old guy stood at a bus stop and then he completely vanished. I realise it could be an hallicination but I am also open to the idea that it could have been a spirit.

I've really not been able to find a plausable explanation for some events I exerienced in a flat that I used to live in. I'm open to some ideas but one incident in paricular (the shoes thing) I just cannot explain. I posted about it a while back on here http://www.unexplain...topic=198961=

Edited by Moon Gazer
  • Like 1

I very much believe in the paranormal after witnessing a ghost, before that not so much. I still live in the same house and have seen nothing since. There was no other explanations for what I saw. Well I guess you come up with one but it wouldn't be a credible explanation it would just be a non believer trying to stop me from believing.

• 1 month later...

I do believe there are some things out there that can be not explained specifically because either not all the information is gathered that can come up with a reasonable agreement. For instance, falling asleep and waking up with a gouge in your back that has been scabbed over. At first it is hot to the touch, but realize that whatever gouged your back, it's not really known...but a better example, is this: Going into a room, challenging something that is not seen, and finding yourself picked up and thrown in a door. no drafts, no air, nothing in front of you, behind you. You didn't slip on anything. right before it happened, you feel a cold breeze pass through you and felt as if someone's hand was pressed against you, and you look in the mirror and there are hand markings from whatever just touched you. You didn't spirit travel, you didn't wake up from it. It wasn't sleep paralysis, or your mind thinking it happened. When things you don't see leave physical evidence that you don't know how it got there, or more so, doesn't even need to be a physical sign. What would you call Intuition? What do you call the feeling where all your hair stands up? what about fear? you can't see it, but you can express it. it isn't physical. Only expression is physically seen. So what is beyond normal? Some consider normal one thing, and everyone else can look at this person as abnormal. It depends on alot of things. I am a skeptic at some things, but i also don't dismiss something just because i don't know how to test its properties either.

I understand there are some things that we just haven't got into it enough to be able to do it. Just because some don't believe in that, doesn't mean everyone else will either. I think this in itself is a controversy....Everyone has their opinions.

I voted no. But the thing is that I do believe in ghost. I feel that spirits can be explained by physics, pyschology,biology and other sciences. It may take many years of study and research still but I believe it can be done.

Someone said that only electrically charged items or metals emit magnetic fields...that's totally incorrect. Geological formations, that often contain high metal content such as iron, can and do emiit often very powerful magnetic fields. There have been cases where people living near such formations or near powerlines, experiencing "hauntings."

Edited by CakeOrDeath

The phenomenon of ghosts will eventually be explained by science in my opinion, future generations will probably file them away as we do regarding thunderstorms and earthquakes and the presence of the moon. Right now, of course visual tricks for apparitions, dust for orbs etc can be cause of MANY experiences but not the whole spectrum in my opinion, I believe ghosts are a very real mechanism either active as part of the spirit or 'automatic' and triggered by certain conditions and energies being released possibly interacting with our brains.

Judging by experience I'm saying no. Major reason me, and a lot of the other regulars no longer post on here, is because it doesn't matter the amount of factual evidence posted, the believers WILL NOT listen nor be swayed.

The believers will believe and the non believers won't. Science wont get involved so the debate is pointless.

Lots of scientists have been involved; their results tend to be negative or at best ambiguous. The believers dismiss them and go on believeing, so there is not much point.

Judging by experience I'm saying no. Major reason me, and a lot of the other regulars no longer post on here, is because it doesn't matter the amount of factual evidence posted, the believers WILL NOT listen nor be swayed.

People come and go on all the boards, for much the same reason. If you think you can change someone's mind with a few posts on a message board you need some psychology lessons. All you can do is plant some doubt.I don't always follow my rule as I should, but I try to avoid threads that are sustained by one or a few believers ignoring all sense. There are odd things out there and sometimes I learn things.

The problem with ghosts and paranormal in general is that usually it strikes the core of being alive. By that I mean I imagine most would like to have the thought of an afterlife rather than death being the end of everything. Ghosts and afterlife beliefs give comfort that there is more to life than what we know of. Personally I have read so many 'events' that are completely explainable by a critical thinking, rational person that I cannot think of a single example that could not be explained for the most part as normal but misunderstood.

The examples I see of repeated events baffles me because it would seem the supreme chance to provide ongoing evidence about paranormal things, yet I have never seen an ongoing study. I would venture that is because the longer you study something 'paranormal' it all ends up just normal.

JMO

;

Ok, I am tired of people learning about EMF's from paranormal teams, and TAPS.....

The " EMF's can make you sick, hallucinate, etc. ".........

Please take the time to read these links.....This is factual information on EMF's, what they are, why they are here, etc,etc,etc.........People used to think they caused cancer.

Anyway, talk to electricians about EMF's, not ghost hunters.......We are all exposed to it in various amounts 24/7.

Here is the information, please read it so that next time you read claims, and reports, you will have knowledge about them, and will not be fooled.The National Institue of Environmental Health Sciences is your source, and is also the place who studies things that can effect our health.....I believe their studies, and research, and explanations should be sufficient, don't you?

id-bnr.gif

General Information