Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Background Checks Gain Ground

questionmark

'

A coalition of House Republicans is willing to thwart the National Rifle Association’s opposition to broadening background checks for U.S. gun purchases. That may be President Barack Obama’s best chance for advancing tougher gun regulations this year.

Representatives Patrick Meehan and Michael Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania are among Republicans expressing openness to expanding the background-check system, including mandatory screening of buyers at gun shows. “We need to consider any option that will keep people safe,” Fitzpatrick said in an interview.

“I’m interested in looking at closing the gun-show loophole,” Meehan said in an interview. “But I’m also going to be watching where this goes, particularly in the Senate and how much real effort will be put” forth, he said.

Read more

What happened? Boehner grew a spine?

They are going to have to be tough but fair.

Just because some one has a criminal record should not mean they are not allowed to defend themselves. Eg: if a person has a record for shoplifting, it does not mean they are a dangerous psycho.

I also think all the police officers working in high crime areas should also have yearly psychological tests.

I am anti guns, but thats because where I live we do not need them, but in America, its a different story.

I'm all for background checks but not sure what good it would do in a state like mine.

We don't have to register our guns.

I think there should be mandatory registration and when registering a background check should be done.

We don't have the "gun show loophole". That was closed in our state right after Columbine.

*sigh*

Nibs

ETA - Colorado Gun Show Loophole

Before the first major U.S. school mass shooting in 1999 at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, Robyn Anderson, a friend of shooters Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, bought the shotguns from unlicensed sellers at a 1998 gun show. The state subsequently ended the gun show exception there.

According to Rhonda Fields, a Democratic representative in Colorado whose son was murdered with a gun in 2005, the results of the expanded background checks law passed in November 2000 have been dramatic.

Colorado was the 17th-largest source of guns found at crime scenes in other states. Within a year of the new law, it fell to 27th and by 2009 it ranked 32nd, Fields said last week at a news conference in Denver. “That’s real results,” she said.

Meanwhile, victims’ advocates and newly formed outside spending groups are putting pressure on Congress to pass gun control measures including expanded background checks.

Edited by HerNibs
  • Like 1

blah blah blah blah...talk.

So there is like one or tws states that doesn't require backgrouncd checks at gunshows. Oh well, whatever they have to say to make it look like they did something I guess?

• Like 1

In America, one should be able to walk into 7-11 and buy a fully automatic/suppressed firearm and a pound of cocaine no questions asked. I know that sounds extreme to some. Oh well.

In America, one should be able to walk into 7-11 and buy a fully automatic/suppressed firearm and a pound of cocaine no questions asked. I know that sounds extreme to some. Oh well.

Extremes on either side do nothing for the debate.

• Like 2

Lets be reasonable. Itleast there should be a room in the back of the 7-11 where the employees would have access to said goods. Oh wait nm...ignore that response.

Yeah FREEDOM !!

Meh I'm just happy my 7-11 sells hard alcohol and ammunition. Up in my neck of the woods people do abuse the loophole and quite often.

I'm all for background checks but not sure what good it would do in a state like mine.

We don't have to register our guns.

I think there should be mandatory registration and when registering a background check should be done.

We don't have the "gun show loophole". That was closed in our state right after Columbine.

*sigh*

Nibs

ETA - Colorado Gun Show Loophole

If I thought the elected could be trusted, I might find a way to agree. Unfortunitly they cant be. To many of them registration is just a small step tward confiscation, and have openly admitted it. I for one am not willing to give them an inch. Im not registering anything, forget those traitors who p*** all over the constitution with damn near every piece of legislation they pass.

What happened? Boehner grew a spine?

Sounds like good middle ground for a compromise - if Democrats are willing.

I see Reid stopping it though.