Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists seek help naming Pluto's moons

Saru

Astronomers have discovered two new moons around the distant dwarf planet within the last two years.

The discoverers of Pluto's fourth and fifth moons are letting Internet users have a say in what they should be named, by throwing the question open for a non-binding advisory vote.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

So if it's got Moons, surely that qualifies it as a proper Planet again? A lot of people I know have been very unhappy about that.

• Like 1

I said it before... Since it's a 'dwarf' planet now.. the moons should be named 'Sneezy' and 'Grumpy'...

• Like 3

So if it's got Moons, surely that qualifies it as a proper Planet again? A lot of people I know have been very unhappy about that.

Nope.

It was known that it had moons was known before the decision to reclassify it.

Many asteroids have moons, Mercury and Venus do not. The number of moons an object possesses has no bearing on it's status as a planet.

• Like 1

Yet alas, we earthlings are still stuck with the redundant "Moon".

I thought he was probably the best drummer around at the time, and 'Nana' from Eastenders was quite a character!

• Like 2

It's a " Mickey Mouse" planet so it's moons befit a Disneyian theme...

What a travesty there's not seven of them because we could have named them after the dwarves.

LV-426

Edit: Also just realized that they have Acheron on the list which is what LV-426 in Aliens was dubbed

Edited by Geladius

Too bad that we can't propose a solar system poll on what to name these moons. It's times like these that make me wish we had 'otherworldly' opinions instead of constantly and only having -our- own.

Oh well, maybe one day!

I would have to say that whatever these moons are finally named, I would hope that those names are held consistently with the overall theme of what we have already named in our solar system. Though I do think a Disney like name would be fitting and perhaps show that we do have a sense of humour. (even though we'd be the only ones to get the joke... right now...))

And to Quite Contrary's comment, I will say that I wish we didn't have a generic name for our Moon, but I'm not sure what else we could have named it.

:tu:

Too bad that we can't propose a solar system poll on what to name these moons. It's times like these that make me wish we had 'otherworldly' opinions instead of constantly and only having -our- own.

Oh well, maybe one day!

I would have to say that whatever these moons are finally named, I would hope that those names are held consistently with the overall theme of what we have already named in our solar system. Though I do think a Disney like name would be fitting and perhaps show that we do have a sense of humour. (even though we'd be the only ones to get the joke... right now...))

And to Quite Contrary's comment, I will say that I wish we didn't have a generic name for our Moon, but I'm not sure what else we could have named it.

:tu:

I think technically our moon is named "Luna"... but I could be wrong...

edit to add: 'generic' names reminded me of a funny sci-fi story written by Harry Harrison, - there was a galactic wide meeting of all inhabited planets, and they used a unviersal translator that was very literal in it's translations... It turned out that everyone was from a race that named their planet "Dirt"....

Edited by Taun

Orpheus and Eurydice.

"The most famous story in which Orpheus figures is that of his wife Eurydice (sometimes referred to as Euridice and also known as Agriope). While walking among her people, the Cicones, in tall grass at her wedding, Eurydice was set upon by a satyr. In her efforts to escape the satyr, Eurydice fell into a nest of vipers and suffered a fatal bite on her heel. Her body was discovered by Orpheus who, overcome with grief, played such sad and mournful songs that all the nymphs and gods wept. On their advice, Orpheus travelled to the underworld and by his music softened the hearts of Hades and Persephone (he was the only person ever to do so), who agreed to allow Eurydice to return with him to earth on one condition: he should walk in front of her and not look back until they both had reached the upper world. He set off with Eurydice following, and, in his anxiety, as soon as he reached the upper world, he turned to look at her, forgetting that both needed to be in the upper world, and she vanished for the second time, but now forever."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus

Pluto is not even classified as a planet anymore..why the heck would we name the moons beyond P-1...P-2...etc..

Pluto is not even classified as a planet anymore..why the heck would we name the moons beyond P-1...P-2...etc..

Because it really doesn't take a lot of effort?

Then why couldnt keep Pluto as a planet. I mean that would have taken little effort as well. Just saying I prefer Pluto over Uranus. :innocent:

• Like 2

Then why couldnt keep Pluto as a planet. I mean that would have taken little effort as well. Just saying I prefer Pluto over Uranus. :innocent:

You might be surprised that Pluto is one of five Dwarf Planets. The others are Ceres, the largest asteroid in the belt, Haumea (also has two moons), Makemake and Eris.

Yes the IAU downgraded Pluto, but there is a body of astronomers that want to include Pluto (and the others) as 'planets'.

This link will explain it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAU_definition_of_planet

• Like 1

Jeez, Orpheus and Eurydice are official candidates. Orpheus is in 4th place and Eurydice is in 6th. Given the connection between the two, vote now!

http://www.plutorocks.com/

Voting ends February 25th.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

In some strange way I think I just helped the Galaxy. Thanks LikelyGuy :tu:

• Like 1