Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran Rejects U.S.Talks

joc

Just a snippet from WIKI's take on the 2009 Iranian election:

Many Iranian figures directly supported the protests and declared the votes were fraudulent. Among them, many film directors likeJafar Panahi[8] (who was consequently banned from making movies for 20 years and condemned to 6 years imprisonment),[9][10]Mohammad Rasoulof (also condemned to six years imprisonment,[11] actors and actresses like Pegah Ahangarani (who was consequently imprisoned),[12] Ramin Parchami (who was consequently condemned to one year imprisonment),[13] sportsmen like the whole Iran national football team who wore green wristbands in their game against South Korea to support the movement,[14][15] scholars like Mostafa Tajzadeh, Mohsen Aminzadeh, Akbar Ganji, Mohsen Sazegara, many religious figures like Mohsen Kadivar, Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei, Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Mohammad Dastgheib Shirazi, traditional singers like Mohammad Reza Shajarian, defected Basij and Iranian Revolutionary Guards like Amir Farshad Ebrahimi and those who confessed with covered faces.[16][17]

Does it seem likely that they deserved imprisonment for protest?

Providing evidence that there's no 1st Amendment in Iran doesn't provide evidence of a rigged election. Allegations of voter fraud don't make a rigged election in the US but I'm sure that's all it takes for some people to think there was one in Iran.

Every poll taken by a western organization before the election showed Ahmadinejad with a dominating lead over his appealing rival. The fraudulent New America Foundation, University of Maryland, WPO, Global Scan and Charney Research all coincided with the election results.

• Like 2

Providing evidence that there's no 1st Amendment in Iran doesn't provide evidence of a rigged election. Allegations of voter fraud don't make a rigged election in the US but I'm sure that's all it takes for some people to think there was one in Iran.

Every poll taken by a western organization before the election showed Ahmadinejad with a dominating lead over his appealing rival. The fraudulent New America Foundation, University of Maryland, WPO, Global Scan and Charney Research all coincided with the election results.

Including one poll from the Washington Post.

The demonstrations against the election were large, in a couple of cities, but they paled in comparison to those held by his supporters.

Thanks Yam, I've debated this subject to the death (including as it happened). Couldn't be bothered doing so again.

• Like 1

Including one poll from the Washington Post.

The demonstrations against the election were large, in a couple of cities, but they paled in comparison to those held by his supporters.

Thanks Yam, I've debated this subject to the death (including as it happened). Couldn't be bothered doing so again.

Well, of course, that's the beauty of being a Strong leader; you can whistle up tens of thousands of fanatical supporters to wave banners at the drop of a Hat. Surely you must be able to see how meaningless it is? Do the fanatical admirers that Kim Jon Un can wheel out prove that he's legitimately elected and universally loved? Just like the demonstrations in support of Assad; was anyone fooled by them? Don't you think that the very fact that there were large demonstrations against him rather show that a large number of people felt there was some fishiness going on?

• Like 1

Well, of course, that's the beauty of being a Strong leader; you can whistle up tens of thousands of fanatical supporters to wave banners at the drop of a Hat. Surely you must be able to see how meaningless it is? Do the fanatical admirers that Kim Jon Un can wheel out prove that he's legitimately elected and universally loved? Just like the demonstrations in support of Assad; was anyone fooled by them? Don't you think that the very fact that there were large demonstrations against him rather show that a large number of people felt there was some fishiness going on?

I think the overwhelming evidence regarding the election clearly shows the election was not fixed. My point regarding demonstrations was rather the same as yours: pictures of demonstrators being used as a means to prove something like this in actuality proves nothing.

So the large demonstrations that you politically agree with convince you. Having it your way and both ways then. If there was a price to pay not to show their support what was it? If there was a motivating reason to show their support what was it? Comparing North Korea's politics to Iran's is obtuse. Completely different transfer of power. Don't drink the "Axis of Evil" kool aid. Can't believe it got poured for the masses all the way over in "Leningrad".

What's so "Strong" about Ahmadinejad? He's a figurehead with almost no real power.

I think the overwhelming evidence regarding the election clearly shows the election was not fixed. My point regarding demonstrations was rather the same as yours: pictures of demonstrators being used as a means to prove something like this in actuality proves nothing.

But when some of those demonstrators - including well respected and highly placed protesters wind up in JAIL it says quite a bit about the regime. But I'm sure you will minimize that bit of business as well. Tiresome.

Edit to add this bit:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/02/iran-begins-its-election-season-web-crackdown-a-few-months-early/273172/

Seems the mullahs are getting an early start on those upcoming free and fair elections. Whatever.....

Edited by and then