Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Supervolcano' forming near New Zealand

Still Waters

A "supervolcano" forming deep below the Earth's crust north of New Zealand, will have the power to destroy the world, but scientists are urging people not to worry - it could be 100 million years away.

University of Utah seismologist Michael Thorne has been studying seismic waves beating through the Earth's crust, and says the ingredients are there for a "cataclysmic" eruption.

http://www.stuff.co....ear-New-Zealand

Wont the Hawaiian chain Caldera run into the Yellowstone Caldera before this one forms fully ?

I would thing NZ was formed by a super type volcanic events over millennium but my NZ geology is a bit lacking. So Im not surprised they have a Caldera under there.

Edited by AsteroidX

It's a shame it's so far away, I want Pierce Brosnan to star in another epic (yet terrible) volcanic disaster movie in the vein of Dante's Peak.

More proof that God hates the Sheep-Shaggers ;)

:rolleyes:

Yes, the recent floods and bush-fires is a testament to that. oh wait....... that was australia..........

:lol:

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Wont the Hawaiian chain Caldera run into the Yellowstone Caldera before this one forms fully ?

I would thing NZ was formed by a super type volcanic events over millennium but my NZ geology is a bit lacking. So Im not surprised they have a Caldera under there.

Actually, jokes aside, there's a lot's about the geology of NZ that we dont know, such as the fact that NZ used to be a large continent.

Most of the north Island is formed by Volcanic activity. Earthquakes are a daily occurance here, there's a lot of active volcanic and geothermal areas too.

I've been watching the volcano's and Earthquakes a lot since the Christchuirch quake, There's deinately been an uptick in activity down here. Especially since August last year when Tongariro woke up.

• Like 2

'will have the power to destroy the world'... Um no.

Earthquakes are a daily occurance here, there's a lot of active volcanic and geothermal areas too.

Edit: Now we know you live with the hobbits.

Edited by Timonthy

The headline was more exciting than the article.

100 million years away?

Lost me right there; i'll file this one away with "the sun is going to expand and doom us all"

• Like 1

100 million years eh? Remind me to panic when the time comes

Yeah, 100 million years?

I think there are othe "super volcanoes" of more immediate concern.

For example, I read that the super volcano, or whatever it's called, underneath Yellowstone National Park in the US actually could erupt again much sooner than that.

Place your bets! Nuclear annihilation, asteroid impact or super volcano? I swear every story in the news is some new crisis, until you read it may not be for thousands or millions of years. My bet is on global economic collapse and anarchy if the "leaders" don't exercise a bit of common sense soon. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

(100 million years eh? Remind me to panic when the time comes)

I will let know, but I will need your bank account number and other personal information so I can find you.....just PM it to me here.

Honest Mark

The headline was more exciting than the article.

100 million years away?

Lost me right there; i'll file this one away with "the sun is going to expand and doom us all"

Dammit I was hoping NZ would sink. And that my ex wife and her family had moved back there..... 100million years. Too long :-(

100 million years eh? Remind me to panic when the time comes

glad i will not be here

Yeah, 100 million years?

I think there are othe "super volcanoes" of more immediate concern.

For example, I read that the super volcano, or whatever it's called, underneath Yellowstone National Park in the US actually could erupt again much sooner than that.

(100 million years eh? Remind me to panic when the time comes)

I will let know, but I will need your bank account number and other personal information so I can find you.....just PM it to me here.

Honest Mark

100 million years is still far off

Lol.. 100 million years is words on a screen.. I personaly don't believe a word of it..

I would put that statement that "it could be 100 million years away" In the same bucket as "That was a once in century event" which of course, we seem to be getting at least 2-3 times a year now..

More proof that God hates the Sheep-Shaggers ;)

Hahahaha *catches breath* Hahahahahahahahaha ...... :tu:

We're more likely to destroy ourselves them mother nature.

Id like to see the state of planet earth in 100 million years. I doubt a volcano will mess things up any more

:rolleyes:

Yes, the recent floods and bush-fires is a testament to that. oh wait....... that was australia..........

:lol:

We believe that God created Arakis Australia in order to test the Faithful.

We believe that God created Arakis Australia in order to test the Faithful.

Yes, but when God wanted Jesus to be born in Australia he ran into trouble finding three wise men and a Virgin.. :lol:

Tough luck ozzies! :lol:

• Like 2

Well, that's supervolcano number two.

Oh, and for everyone's piece of mind, Taupo's still active. It's last eruption was 1700 years ago, over 600 years overdue.

Edited by MichaelW