Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about bullys

bacca

I would avoid this post like the plague. I really hope you are not teaching what you are writing at this school. First of all, you do not want to use a palm strike. The palm strike is effective when being used to the nose. We do not want your kid using a palm strike on this kids nose as it could push the kids nose into his brain killing him. Hammer fists? I really hope you are not serious. A Hammer fist is a "punch" that is used on a grounded opponent and notorious for breaking hands. A Hammer fist is where you make a fist, and do a hammering action onto your victim. Picture this in your mind everyone. Make a fist, then raise it over your head, raining down like a hammer to whatever object landing with the Ext. Carpi Unlaris, and 5th metacarpus. Striking an object this way is notorious for breaking the bones of the striker. Considering that this is a child enforces this point even more so as your childs bones are no where near being developed to what they would need to be to strike like this. A child needs to punch correctly. Your pointer finger, and your middle finger knuckles ought to be the knuckles landing in the punch considering you only throw with a 4 knuckle punch. If you know the technique you can actually use your thumb as a third knuckle in that punch which would be the most correct but uncommon way to see the punch thrown. Your child needs to realize speed x torque = power when it comes to punching so do not worry about being small or strong but rather being fast.

Now for the JiuJitsu part. I think that is a terrible idea as well. JiuJitsu is a great art for fighting. This martial art focus's on turning your opponents momentum against them making it your momentum or leverage. This is a "Ground fighting art". Say your child goes to the ground with a bully and starts to roll around and say goes for an armbar, while on concrete he could easily be lifted and dropped on his head. Say he went for a triangle choke the same could be said. Here is a video of that exact event happening with actual trained and seasoned fighters. http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/3/The-Most-Technical-Street-Fight-Ever-471005

Now if this can happen to a trained fighter than you can bet that it can and would happen to a kid that has been training Jiu-Jitsu for a few weeks to months. I don't think we want to wait that long for the problem to correct itself.

If you have the option and are seriously considering correcting this problem then you need to find a heavy bag for the kid to punch on and learn proper punching techniques, or take him to a Kickboxing Gym. These boys will teach you how to fight on your feet and you begin to learn technique that will be effective immediately.

I personally come from a Karate background so me telling you to go to a Kickboxing gym is like a strike to my karate pride. Hah! The problem with Karate gyms is that they are so watered down with bull corn that you may be getting taught complete b.s. Fortunately I was trained by my father who was trained in Japan directly under Grandmaster Hohan Soken. Soken is about as legit as you can get when it comes to Japanese Karate considering his family is the family that almost all karate systems know today stem from. I am not trying to brag or boast about this I simply want you to understand that I know what I am talking about. I have not been trained at a McDojo that will tell a young man to hammerfist and break his hands in a fight.

But you would tell a child to punch!!!!!! Do you have any clue how delicate a child's metacarpals are? do you have any friggin clue what a boxer's fracture is? Do you know what heavy bag training will do to a child's cardilige in their wrists? Especially being trained by dear old dad in the garage. Do you know why professional fighters wrap theirs wrists and protect their knuckles with gloves? Do you know how long it takes to teach a child to punch PROPERLY? There is a way to do it but your advice is completely uneducated, dangerous, typical and misinformed. No offense ugly you have no clue what you are talking about. A hammer fist can come from from the side striking a jaw or a nose, it's very simple to visualize. its not "ground and pound". The hand is ten times more stable in a hammering motion. Nor would you EVER EVER Instruct a child to use an arm bar or triangle choke in a school yard fight!!!! There are a number of simple judo and jujitsu pinns that don't involve shutting the flow of blood off to another child's brain or attacking his joints!!!

"We do not want your kid using a palm strike on this kids nose as it could push the kids nose into his brain killing him"

Hahahaha This says it all my friend, you have been watching to many movies. Here genus I'll let Somone else educate you.

http://www.fighttips.com/forum/general-discussion/4348-pushing-nose-bone-into-brain-fact-myth.html

I have grown up in martial arts schools, kickboxing gyms, and jujitsu schools, it's been my life since I was 8 years old. An yes I have been in fights before and and I have suffered two boxers fractures as a teenager. The result is that my right hand cannot grip as good as it should. Your advice is setting this person up for some bad news. Some people go down after a sucker punch. It's not the movies genius, an aggressive bully is likely to come back in a red rage and pound the poor kid. He better be prepared to pinn him and control him on the ground because that's where it's headed I can almost guarantee you that. A simple scarf hold taught by some body who ACTUALLY knows how to train children will work wonders. All martial arts have their good and bad points yes even your karate, but I'm not going to get into a p***ing contest with you over credentials. It's what I do for a living, and I detest the Mcdojo they give all of us a bad name, and yes, their advice would be almost as bad as yours.

Edited by Seeker79

Back to op. my offer still stands. If you cannot find the proper solution right now, a good martial arts school will prepare him for the future.

Unfortunately we live in a society that thrives on bullying particulary in schools as I was bullied when I was that age as well. The bullying seems to be widespread but nothing ever seems to be done about it and people just accept bullying (the bullies are usually the confident, competitive and popular ones so no one will say anything to them) and then people have the nerve to act all outraged and surprised when a bullied kid shoots shoots the place up.

Bullying in all its forms should be completely illegalised.

Yes it should. I have worked on the high school level in my community to develop groups of popular kids that are sympathetic to bring bullied kids into their folds and stand up for them socially. It works exceedingly well. Then the older kids train the younger freshmen comeing in and the system continues.

• Like 1

Both of my kids studied martial arts, my son is currently a 2nd degree black belt. When he entered High School he was working on his brown belt and was a very low key kind of kid. Well, this clique of upper class boys was always picking on the Freshmen boys. Three of them had taken to pulling down the younger boy's sweat pants as they lined up for gym class (no teacher present until the bell rang). They would circle behind the line and choose out a victim (3 against 1) and de-pant the victim. They pulled this on my son and he absolutely 'cleaned their clocks'...took down the kid that grabbed his pants, elbowed another in the stomach, and grabbed the remaining kid by the ears. Needless to say, they all fled before the teacher showed up. None of them ever picked on my son again, no one bothered him through High School period.

So, I do think it's true that a show of force is often the only thing that will suffice to stop some bullies.

• Like 2

Yes it should. I have worked on the high school level in my community to develop groups of popular kids that are sympathetic to bring bullied kids into their folds and stand up for them socially. It works exceedingly well. Then the older kids train the younger freshmen comeing in and the system continues.

We did the same when I was in school, but it was organized totally by the students. We made it clear it wasn't cool to bully and essentially made them outcasts until they stopped.

On the up side I'm glad to see more common sense being proposed...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/2/15/244548/Professional-Educators-Of-Tennessee.aspx

Professional Educators of Tennessee (PET) announces their support for the recently-introduced Student Self-Defense Bill (Senate Bill 113/House Bill 860). PET, a non-partisan teacher association headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee, believes the proposed legislation brings common sense back into the zero-tolerance debate that has tied the hands of principals, schools and local school districts across the state.

We did the same when I was in school, but it was organized totally by the students. We made it clear it wasn't cool to bully and essentially made them outcasts until they stopped.

On the up side I'm glad to see more common sense being proposed...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/2/15/244548/Professional-Educators-Of-Tennessee.aspx

Professional Educators of Tennessee (PET) announces their support for the recently-introduced Student Self-Defense Bill (Senate Bill 113/House Bill 860). PET, a non-partisan teacher association headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee, believes the proposed legislation brings common sense back into the zero-tolerance debate that has tied the hands of principals, schools and local school districts across the state.

Yes. It is important to be student driven. It's also important to be covert. No one should know that the bullied kid has been "helped". It should just happen smoothly. There is also a tendency for the group to bully back at the bullies, it's important to train them not to do this.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Both of my kids studied martial arts, my son is currently a 2nd degree black belt. When he entered High School he was working on his brown belt and was a very low key kind of kid. Well, this clique of upper class boys was always picking on the Freshmen boys. Three of them had taken to pulling down the younger boy's sweat pants as they lined up for gym class (no teacher present until the bell rang). They would circle behind the line and choose out a victim (3 against 1) and de-pant the victim. They pulled this on my son and he absolutely 'cleaned their clocks'...took down the kid that grabbed his pants, elbowed another in the stomach, and grabbed the remaining kid by the ears. Needless to say, they all fled before the teacher showed up. None of them ever picked on my son again, no one bothered him through High School period.

So, I do think it's true that a show of force is often the only thing that will suffice to stop some bullies.

There is certainly pecking order behavior amoung people. I think it's simply a built in social behavior. We see it in many social animals from chickens to wolves and apes. It's important to identify it as this in ourselves so that we can properly work with our human behaviors and prepare our children to deal with it. I do agree violence needs to be avoided at nearly all costs, but the psychological damage of the bullied is just as damaging as any blow. Especially during formative years. When Somone finally learns to stand up for themselves it is Extremely empowering for that person. But care must be taken aswell. Some kids simply are not physically and psycologically capable of fighting. To set them physically against a bully could make it worse. There is this myth that once the bullied is stood up to that that's it. It is certainly true if the bullied comes out on top. But if they don't they then draw attention to themselves from all the other potential bully's as Somone that can raise their social status If they to beat him up. Kids with undiagnosed spectrum disorders are particularly vulnerable. The other kids consider them weird and they often do not understand social situations.

Pecking order in humans dynamic. Every scenario is different and each case has its own solution. The best solution is always kindness from those that have a high social status. Real leaders that step up and do not allow these things in their social circles and intervene when they see it. They have the power to make It not cool.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Yes. It is important to be student driven. It's also important to be covert. No one should know that the bullied kid has been "helped". It should just happen smoothly. There is also a tendency for the group to bully back at the bullies, it's important to train them not to do this.

It wasn't always covert, but they weren't bullied back...just ostracized for a while. I knew most of the footbal players and there were a few who liked to pick on some of the smaller, younger kids. I wasn't even up to their shoulders in height and if I caught them in the act I would chew them out, complete with wagging my finger up at their faces. I'm sure it was a pretty funny sight. :P That would embarrass them in front of their friends and if they continued they didn't let me see it.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can find information about preventing bullying, or what consequences there should be. All I can find is to have the bully read a book or tell a story about being a good friend. I really need to know if there are any ways to help the child stop being bullied and I can't find anything.

I'm not sure this documentary has a definite solution to the problem of bullying, but it highlights it and show the effects it has on children.>> http://www.imdb.com/...82181/reference

This year, over 13 million American kids will be bullied at school, online, on the bus, at home, through their cell phones and on the streets of their towns, making it the most common form of violence young people in this country experience. BULLY is the first feature documentary film to show how we've all been affected by bullying, whether we've been victims, perpetrators or stood silent witness. The world we inhabit as adults begins on the playground. BULLY opens on the first day of school. For the more than 13 million kids who'll be bullied this year in the United States, it's a day filled with more anxiety and foreboding than excitement. As the sun rises and school busses across the country overflow with backpacks, brass instruments and the rambunctious sounds of raging hormones, this is a ride into the unknown. For a lot of kids, the only thing that's certain is that this year, like every other, bullying will be a big part of whatever meets them at their school's front doors. Every school in the U.S. is grappling with bullying-each day more than 160,000 kids across the country are absent because they're afraid of being bullied-but for many districts it's just one more problem that gets swept under the rug. BULLY is a character-driven film. At its heart are those with the most at stake and whose stories each represent a different facet of this crisis. From the first day of school through the last, BULLY will intimately explore the lives of a few of the many courageous people bullying will touch this year.

Here is some more you might find useful>>

[media=]

In fact, doing the search `Bully documentary´ on YouTube gives you quite a lot of info>> http://www.youtube.c...c.1.XFe58kCPmu0

I havnet been bullied but I have defended those who have been in school, and I tell you, many bullies are some bunch of insecure pathetic creatures.

Good luck with you child, hope you get some help.

• Like 1