Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lessons from the Failed War on Drugs

questionmark

Murder is extremely dangerous to people, and I don't accept the federal government running over the states putting them into a single DC designer box every time a murder happens. Now try to apply the same principle with drugs, and I'll see some consistency of opinion.

I respectfuly disagree. There are many street drugs which are extremely dangerous to both the individual user and those he/her are around.

nothing wrong with disagreement dude, if we were all the same, then justin beiber would sell 7bn records at a time, and megan fox would be very, very tired indeed.....

;-)

(but I still think some kind of regulation would be more preferable to the system of relentless persecution and needless criminalisation that we have now and obviously isn't working properly....)

nothing wrong with disagreement dude, if we were all the same, then justin beiber would sell 7bn records at a time, and megan fox would be very, very tired indeed.....

;-)

(but I still think some kind of regulation would be more preferable to the system of relentless persecution and needless criminalisation that we have now and obviously isn't working properly....)

True, but a line has to be drawn. Should we deciminalize the immensely powerful psychoactive drugs such as pcp, herion, meth, etc...

I think not, and such drugs should remain forever illegal outside of a clinical treatment setting.

Just my opinion, though.

• Like 1

Murder is extremely dangerous to people, and I don't accept the federal government running over the states putting them into a single DC designer box every time a murder happens. Now try to apply the same principle with drugs, and I'll see some consistency of opinion.

Huh? You're not making any sense at all.

It seems as if you only want "consistency" with your own opinion. Which would be paranoid delusion.

Should we deciminalize the immensely powerful psychoactive drugs such as pcp, herion, meth, etc...

maybe not outright legalisation, no, because a lot of people don't have the self-control necessary to handle them, but not arresting users for possessing a small amount for personal use would still allow the police to arrest dealers, and not clog up the prison system with low priority users.

I think control would be better than no control, and allow the police to manage their resources better by prioritizing crime more efficiently.

Huh? You're not making any sense at all.

must admit yamato, I couldn't understand your comment either i'm afraid!

I respectfuly disagree. There are many street drugs which are extremely dangerous to both the individual user and those he/her are around.

exactly, there are, and there always will be, no mater the laws,

and the drugs will only get more 'efficient' 'advanced' 'superior technology blended and designed'

a pound of cocoa makes eighteen pounds of chocolate bars, makes it tastes more better they say, in other words addictive. consumers not only don't care they're getting less cocoa but more sugar, fats and milk solids, they are happy. Happy to pay more even.

a pound of cocaine makes .... ?

it'll all be legalized one day, but not until they've monopolized the whole profit infrastructure from product managed marketing to consumer penetration share. Plus the problem of liability would have to be dealt with. Perhaps the first consumer product to come with a signed waiver on purchase. The tobacco big wigs would throw up a frothy fit but given a proper share they'll just zip right up. Plus they'll side swerve any more future lawsuits involving 'cigarettes'

But who are "they" ?

He pauses for a moment before saying: "People like me can't be stopped. It's a war. They lose men, and we lose men. They lose their scruples, and we never had any. In the end, you'll even blow up an aircraft because you believe the Colombian president is on board. I don't know what you have to do. Maybe sell cocaine in pharmacies. I've been in prison for 20 years, but you will never win this war when there is so much money to me made. Never."

from Op link

~edit : just woke up, forum posting... the breakfast of champions

Edited by third_eye

We must be making a dent somewhere. The dope pushers have to use subs to get it here. Of, course it would help if Obama stopped giving them guns.

One more thing, if making it legal would stop the illegal, then explain moonshiners.

Edited by danielost

We must be making a dent somewhere. The dope pushers have to use subs to get it here. Of, course it would help if Obama stopped giving them guns.

One more thing, if making it legal would stop the illegal, then explain moonshiners.

precisely the point, seems pointless for all the effort for just a 'dent' , that is if there is a dent.

it's not the guns, not the private prisons, not the pharmaceutical big wigs, its not even the cartels.

it's the wealth and riches, you can't just say 'money' here. the high value profitability of returns ...

Legalising anything won't eradicate it, never will nor has, nor any one actually believes that it eventually will,

it's just that they are still making big money now, and what is still in their hands they will wring every possible drip of 'expected investment returns' and avenues of profit until it doesn't satiate or satisfy, they just move on to the next plan of due course and highly measured source of wealth.

Its numbers. Its the percentages. Its the futures. And the people who controls them.

It's not magic, it's not theoretical, its rudimentary. No costs too high and no questioning of losses. As long as the numbers says it is so.

Till the reality and the numbers starts to fool each other. Then they'll just move on to the next set of numbers.

There is always a slice of opportunistic stupidity or desperation on every scale that most avoid with sound of mind but that never will convince every single one. Moonshiners will always be around, some of the big wigs gotta have somewhere to start from.

Legalize weed and half the crime due to drugs will end almost over night so to speak. But the funding for a lost war will drop and the government will look like fools.

You can legalise weed properly or legalise weed improperly.

Lets first look at legalising weed properly...

On large scale production, this stuff grows fast and can pump out huge amounts per hectare. You can tax it a little bit but also ensure quality and prices are better than street prices. Because late scale production is possible with high return, most of the cost would probably be in packaging. Through this method; the street market will quickly be squashed out.

It may further cut the usage of other hard drugs as most people are exposed to such through the underground drug culture that they may obtain their weed from.

The ability for residents to own up to one plant each for personal use would be the most ideal.

So, how would we go about this improperly?

Well through taxing it and setting prices higher than the street price as well as quality of product. This keeps up the demand for a cheaper and overall higher quality product. In turn, keeping the underground illegal trade going and the crime that goes with it.

It's not so much that they have to use subs now. It is that they made so much money, they can afford to buy subs to ship their product now. And honestly I would have to say that it would be easier for me to get meth than it would be for me to get cold medicine these days.

Moonshining isn't legal if it is illegal=P

Moonshining exists because Booze is still illegal in MANY counties .... AND.. because of the TAXES imposed on legal booze.

Moonshining exists because Booze is still illegal in MANY counties .... AND.. because of the TAXES imposed on legal booze.

Which just means the dope pushers won't go away.

Legalize weed and half the crime due to drugs will end almost over night so to speak. But the funding for a lost war will drop and the government will look like fools.

Legalize ONLY weed, and those who traffic in the other 99 illegal drugs will still do just fine, thanks very much, including the Cocaine Importing Agency. :innocent:

Otherwise, I agree with legalizing pot.

I don't know that the (worldwide) war on addictive drugs has failed. One could as say the war on burglaries or on rapes or on corruption has failed. A more reasonable standard than complete eradication is needed to measure law enforcement.

That doesn't mean I don't think we shouldn't constantly study and assess criminal laws. Making something a crime is a serious business, and tends in and of itself to create more criminals. It should be pretty obvious to almost everyone by now that although perhaps some restrictions on public pot and things like advertising it can be maintained, for the most part it should be legalized. I personally have a similar view of heroin, even though it is seriously addictive, people can live normal lives with such an addiction and even pay their own keep if we made it prescribable.

There is a huge difference between drugs and rape or burglary, though. It is one thing what I do to my own body, and a whole different story with another one's body or belongings.

• Like 2

There is a huge difference between drugs and rape or burglary, though. It is one thing what I do to my own body, and a whole different story with another one's body or belongings.

Until, you have a bad trip or overdose leaving your 20 kids with no parent.

Your point is correct, of course, but, still, getting innocent or disturbed kids addicted to things like that for the money does seem criminal to me. The enforcement needs to deemphasize the addict so long as there are no complicating factors.

• Like 1

Until, you have a bad trip or overdose leaving your 20 kids with no parent.

I can drink myself to death, too. Or OD on sleeping pills. I see no distinction there.

Your point is correct, of course, but, still, getting innocent or disturbed kids addicted to things like that for the money does seem criminal to me. The enforcement needs to deemphasize the addict so long as there are no complicating factors.

Kids are being legally drugged already, for all kinds of reasons. And I was always talking about regulation, which includes age restriction. I know that kids can probably go around that, just like they do it with alcohol now, but you can still take legal action against them or the parents.

I can drink myself to death, too. Or OD on sleeping pills. I see no distinction there.

I agree which is why I don't drink or take pills withou talking to a doctor first. Yes, that useally goes for a headache.

I agree which is why I don't drink or take pills withou talking to a doctor first. Yes, that useally goes for a headache.

So you think alcohol and sleeping pills should be prohibited, too?

So you think alcohol and sleeping pills should be prohibited, too?

Alcohol. Sleeping pills should need a doctors ok first.

As for the kids on meds. we are giving them too many, useally because they are bored.

And what would be the benefit of a prohibition of alcohol? The USA has already been there, and it had a huge impact on crime. Not a very positive one, I might add.

• Like 1