Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberian permafrost thaw warning

Still Waters

So if another comet hits that sweet spot of Russia, will the permafrost blow up?

Maybe a year ago, I happened to catch this video of 2 Russian fellows out tromping in the woods in northern Russia somewhere, maybe Siberia. Flat wooded land, with what looked like 6 or 8 inches of old snow covering all the ground. I suppose it would qualify as permafrost. One guy carried a shovel type tool and the other carried a small flame on a wick or something. The one guy would dig a small hole in the snow and ground, the other would hold the flame in the hole, and voila, burning methane. Pretty cool to watch, but not nice to contemplate.

• Like 1

Maybe a year ago, I happened to catch this video of 2 Russian fellows out tromping in the woods in northern Russia somewhere, maybe Siberia. Flat wooded land, with what looked like 6 or 8 inches of old snow covering all the ground. I suppose it would qualify as permafrost. One guy carried a shovel type tool and the other carried a small flame on a wick or something. The one guy would dig a small hole in the snow and ground, the other would hold the flame in the hole, and voila, burning methane. Pretty cool to watch, but not nice to contemplate.

Likely it was the swamps of Nindalf :)

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

Am I to understand from the original article that they have found the temperature needed to thaw the permafrost from the evidence of previous thawings?

i am also "assuming" that there was no runaway greenhouse effect in the previous thawings because i am "here" to write this post.

The question then arises if there has been no greenhouse effect how do they know one will happen this time.

They have put a lot of research into the thawing but I am not seeing much except speculation regarding "Runaway Greenhouse".

Am I to understand from the original article that they have found the temperature needed to thaw the permafrost from the evidence of previous thawings?

i am also "assuming" that there was no runaway greenhouse effect in the previous thawings because i am "here" to write this post.

The question then arises if there has been no greenhouse effect how do they know one will happen this time.

They have put a lot of research into the thawing but I am not seeing much except speculation regarding "Runaway Greenhouse".

Current conditions are somewhat unique in the last few million years.

Br Cornelius

I don't know about runaway greenhouse effects; the point made above that it didn't happen with previous warmings is well taken, but as Cornelius says, things are different now (mainly because of human activity).

The danger is perhaps small, but the consequences horrendous. The risk management formula therefore says, "Don't risk it."

Unfortunately we may have already risked it. I would encourage research into ways of capturing green-house gases out of the atmosphere and what might end up being our only salvation.

Green house gasses are naturaly occuring and so is global warming. We are just speeding up the prosses.

One thing i know its caused is higher prices on auto repairs. Soon cars will be like the 18wheelers.

Anything goes wrong it has to go to the dealer to be repaired. They wont run after you change a part untill you log into

The computer with the factory programs.