Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion or spirituality are you? ? ?

Strong Flower

I could never call myself an atheist, which is a strong belief of the imposibility of there being a God or gods.

Agnostic is a subtle belief that its imposible to prove the existance of a God.

Have come to study more in the beliefs of ancient Sumeria literature which never talks of gods but express there beliefs as deitys.

Until our true history of why we are here comes forward mankind will continue to question there beliefs.

I'm an atheist and I don't have a "strong belief of the imposibility of there being a God or gods".

I think you'll find most atheists will say that there is a chance that a god exists, but that that chance is very slim (for me, one in a trillion....ish). Please try to realize that atheists come in all flavors with varied beliefs and lifestyles. "Atheist" is not a one size fits all kind of label.

There are atheists that say they are positive god does not exist but they cannot say that with any certainty.

Agnostics I've never really understood. How can someone sit on a fence their entire lives? Oh well.....

Correction: I give my allegiance to my Father, his son Jesus and none other.

Was wondering how you got your own legion... Didn't like to ask though :P

If there a Church of Live Love Laugh? If not, I need to start one.

• Like 2

@ Artaxerxes; I like most eastern faiths like Tao and Buddhism _ I personally think the level of spirituality is pretty high .

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. That belief is one of the only ones that I take on faith. I'm not a religious individual, but I try to be a spiritual one. I'm not a big fan of divisive denominations. There is one Body of Christ, and it is invisible. I'm not a model Christian, though, and I often have doubts about some aspects of my belief system, as well as those of some churches. I also enjoy learning about other belief systems. I appreciate many of their philosophies, especially their variations of the Golden Rule.

• Like 3

I am a Unitarian Universalist ( a very lousy one, though.). I try not to hate anyone but I am too judgmental to be a good Unitarian.

• Like 3

Nature is my 'god'. I don't know of a title, other than a pagan/treehugger/almost buddist.

I can truly agree on that. In reality Nature is our God
  • Like 1

I'm an atheist and I don't have a "strong belief of the imposibility of there being a God or gods".

I think you'll find most atheists will say that there is a chance that a god exists, but that that chance is very slim (for me, one in a trillion....ish). Please try to realize that atheists come in all flavors with varied beliefs and lifestyles. "Atheist" is not a one size fits all kind of label.

There are atheists that say they are positive god does not exist but they cannot say that with any certainty.

Agnostics I've never really understood. How can someone sit on a fence their entire lives? Oh well....

Forgive me, i quoted that wrong.

Atheist dibelieves or denies existance God or gods.

Agnostic believes is impossible to know whether there is a God.

Thomas Huxley invented the word.

So it comes back down to your personal beliefs and views, opinions.

]

Atheism is non-belief in God, theism is belief in God. I see the term agnostic useful to describe a particular type of atheist -- one who doesn't believe in God but either has strong doubts or maybe views the question as being unresolvable.

The main point is that unless you believe, you are an atheist of some sort or another.

• Like 1

IDK, I always thought atheism is the belief in nothing at all

I identify myself as an atheist because I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, and I think any other sort of deity -- such as the Hindu or Greek pantheons or some nature deity or animist spirit is not God but, if real at all (unlikely) then just a powerful being.

Still, I also identify myself fairly weakly as being a Buddhist -- by upbringing and morals and philosophy.

Now there are also other gods one might believe in, such as the Deist watchmaker-god, or the Spinoza/Einstein god of good morals and proper behavior (not too far from Confucianism, come to thing about it) or the Emersonian global spirit/whatever, or maybe the Tao (the longer I keep this up the more deities come to mind) and I expect one believing in one of these might be considered a theist, but not quite the same as belief in an Omnipotent Creator Being of the Christians, Jews and Muslims. That is real theism.

Forgive me, i quoted that wrong.

Atheist dibelieves or denies existance God or gods.

Agnostic believes is impossible to know whether there is a God.

Thomas Huxley invented the word.

So it comes back down to your personal beliefs and views, opinions.

]

Atheists are quite simply....."non-believers". Most, like myself, don't believe because we've never had a reason to. I grew up in a non-religious household and had friends that were also atheists. I've never read the bible and highly doubt I could make it all of the way through it. I've never felt the presence of a god, never heard god speak, nor have I had any experiences that have ever made me wonder whether one exists. All I've ever had is people (Christians) telling me that god exists and that I should also believe......and that it would change my life. You either believe in something or you don't. You can't force it. For people like me, proof is required......until such proof is presented, then I have no reason to change my stance.

BTW, according to your definition of agnostic, that would describe me and most other atheists as well. It is impossible to know whether god exists or not.....I just wouldn't bet on it due to insufficient evidence.

• Like 2

I'm a Witch. I honour the Moon Goddess and Green Man mostly although work with other deities on occasions during certain rituals or spellwork.

Хорс = Khors, who is God of the Sun, God of the Solar Disk, who travels from horizon to horizon, above the Earth and beneath the Earth, through the day and through the night. Khors has the attributes of Ra and Osiris and Horus and Aten and Khonsu. Khors is all these gods, he is the God of the Sun and the Sky, all other gods come after Khors, even Perun. It does not matter what name is used, Khors, Horus, Tyr, etc, or from what country the names come, they are all the same God. There is no name for this religion, it simply is.

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 1

I'm a Witch. I honour the Moon Goddess and Green Man mostly although work with other deities on occasions during certain rituals or spellwork.

Ok, but idk if witch would be an appropriate term, only because many people have placed a negative label on it. Rootwork or Esoteric might be better.

I'm an indifferent agnostic. I don't know and I don't care.

Having said that, I enjoy listening to the thoughts about religion of people of faith and non-faith. After all, variety is the spice of life isn't it?

The world would be just a grey bland place if we all agreed and were the same.

• Like 3

Ok, but idk if witch would be an appropriate term, only because many people have placed a negative label on it. Rootwork or Esoteric might be better.

Whether you believe it is appropriate or not, it's what I am. Yes, people have put a negative label on it but I'm still a witch lol. Witches are not evil, we do not worship Satan (Satan is not a Pagan idea lol), we do not sacrifice virgins...... if people actually studied what we worship and the paths we follow people would see there is nothing negative about being a witch.

• Like 1

I am a christian with gnostic leanings, by this I mean I believe in personal evidence and experience along with self knowledge as the best means to comprehend even a little of the magnitude of Christ's message and of the nature of God. I accept tradition and ritual and value them but am not governed by any particular religion per se, although I was raised a catholic and know that it is best for me to comprehend my heritage rather than walk away from it - those that came before me deserve my respect for their efforts in that at least. I attend both gnostic practices and my catholic church on occasion most comfortably. I love the rich heritage of wisdom teaching amongst the various cultures of the earth and it warms me that we all have so much more in common than some would have us believe, we all believe in love and forgiveness, compassion and empathy it seems, at least from what I have noticed in my exposures to others beliefs.

• Like 6

although I was raised a catholic and know that it is best for me to comprehend my heritage rather than walk away from it - those that came before me deserve my respect for their efforts in that at least.

I think this is a good and important point. Though we live in the present and our children will have the future, I think that no matter what beliefs or non beliefs we have, it is unjust and insulting to disregard or even totaly trash the beliefs of our ancestors. They lived in their times, things were different in the past, and without them, then we would not be here. My great grandparents would be shocked by some of what I write in this forum, and what I now believe, but I would never be-little their faith.

• Like 2

I identify myself as an atheist because I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, and I think any other sort of deity -- such as the Hindu or Greek pantheons or some nature deity or animist spirit is not God but, if real at all (unlikely) then just a powerful being.

Still, I also identify myself fairly weakly as being a Buddhist -- by upbringing and morals and philosophy.

Now there are also other gods one might believe in, such as the Deist watchmaker-god, or the Spinoza/Einstein god of good morals and proper behavior (not too far from Confucianism, come to thing about it) or the Emersonian global spirit/whatever, or maybe the Tao (the longer I keep this up the more deities come to mind) and I expect one believing in one of these might be considered a theist, but not quite the same as belief in an Omnipotent Creator Being of the Christians, Jews and Muslims. That is real theism.

YOu're a regular gourmet spiritual buffet ain't ya ? ;)

I'm just a agnostic busy body, know them but not known as any :lol:

~edit : wrong quoted post

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

I was raised as a Southern Baptist but found it didn't meet my needs. I didn't like going to church as a kid. I hated wearing itchy clothes and having to sit up, sit down, sing on command, etc. My outer appearance is ordinary but I am very rebellious and strong-willed on the inside.

Yet I will sometimes read about Christian topics. I read some books by C.S. Lewis some years ago. But I also read about gnostic Christianity, and the origin and beliefs of other religions. I think of it as information gathering - finding more pieces of the puzzle.

Sometimes I consider myself a "bad" or flawed Christian who doesn't attend any church.

I see many paths that probably lead to the top of the same mountain.

• Like 2