Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

shrooma

Ahhh... But it's not a "punishment" ... It's an "opportunity to widen their horizons".... :devil:

I know what you mean about dysfunction though, a lot of parents don't seem to care what their kids get up to these days. as long as they're not getting under their feet, they let them do whatever they want!

not an ideal upbringing....

• Like 1

I worry a lot about my kids (they are only 4 and 6!), I discipline them and always will

there's nothing wrong with instilling a sense of right and wrong in your kids, it's the best life-lesson you could possibly give them!

(nice 'henge pic by the way....)

:-)

• Like 1

What we need is some form of punishment that really impacts a student and motivates change, yet doesn't remove them from the classroom. I don't want it to sound like a stereotype, but many of those who act out have a bit of a struggle in the classroom anyway.

• Like 1

This probably wouldn't be popular with most people, but I think there should be video cameras in every class. Then, neither teachers nor the students would be able to talk their way out of anything.

it would certainly be popular with me!

if a teacher showed me a video of my kids being little swines at school, there'd be all kinds of hell dished out when I got them home!!

there's nothing wrong with instilling a sense of right and wrong in your kids, it's the best life-lesson you could possibly give them!

(nice 'henge pic by the way....)

Hey totally off topic but just realised you are from Leeds, me too!

• Like 1

I know what you mean about dysfunction though, a lot of parents don't seem to care what their kids get up to these days. as long as they're not getting under their feet, they let them do whatever they want!

not an ideal upbringing....

People seem to not have time for kids these days either, with work, housework, and with the tiny bit of lesture time is normally sleeping coz your too tired to do anything from workiong for the man all week... our living isnt very healthy these days... that only ofsets to the childern.

I mean, back in the day normally one parent would brng home the bread, and another stay ar home (cook, clean CARE for kids) nowadays both parents walk, maybe long hours, JUST to make ends meat....

But this too is no excuse at the end of the day - If you decided or accidently have kids, then YOU SHOULD DEAL WITH IT.... my sister for example has 5 kids, and she works extremely long hours 6 days a week. she only sees her kids 1 day in the weekend. however she has brung them up to be respectfull, and the other sister has 1 kid, and shes a little B.....

Reposonsibillities the key!!

• Like 2

What we need is some form of punishment that really impacts a student and motivates change.

totally agree J.K. punishment should be a learning process, making them realise they've done wrong, making them see their actions have consequences, and getting them to change their behaviour to something more in line with a civilised society.

Hey totally off topic but just realised you are from Leeds, me too!

i'm just outside leeds, in dewsbury. more of a slightly brown banana than a pineapple.....

:-D

I don't see it ever happening. They should work with softer methods of very public announcements and to start holding them back in 6th grade for 5 years if they have to before dropping them from school altogether. Keep the bad ones away from the good.

• Like 1

I don't see it ever happening. They should work with softer methods of very public announcements

in eskimo communities, when someone is caught stealing, the town would gather in the meeting hall, drag the thief up on stage, and point and laugh at them, doing the same when they saw them on the streets.

guess what effect that had on the amount of theft going on....?

;-)

Yes. Bring back the caine!

he he he he....

it worked for me!

once you'd been caned a couple of times, being caught smoking soon lost its attraction!

with unruly kids having no respect for teachers, due to teachers being powerless to punish the guilty, should corporal punishment be introduced as a deterrent?

*sound of can of worms being opened*

While I do agree that something need's to be done to get the kid's to start respecting each other/teachers/parents/other people in general, I highly doubt that corporal punishment is the way to go about it.......

What happen's if or when the kid getting punished did nothing wrong or did nothing that warrants being punished ? (there are teachers that have a bad day and take it out on the kids at school)

What happen's if the wrong person gets punished, all because the peson that should of got punished is good at being deceitful ?

While there is a lot of parents to blame for how the kid's turn out, it does not mean all of them are to blame...

I have seen some parent's laughing at their kid's and thinking it is hilarious when they are swearing at people or doing something worse...

I have also seen parent's try their very best to bring the kid/s up decently and to have respect for other people, and some (not all) still turn out being little brats

Yeah. They should definitely bring back corporal punishment in schools. The Left banned caning and other forms of corporal punishment in British schools in 1987, saying that we shouldn't hurt unruly kids. But, since then, kids have just become more and more unruly and have no respect for their elders, their parents, their teachers, the police and others in authority. Kids nowadays have just become violent and unruly little scroats because they know that those in authority cannot touch them, and so they wander the streets at night in violent and unruly gangs causing people to be afraid to step over thier doorways at night.

It is the bleeding heart lefties' ban on corporal punishment which has led us to have kids like this obnoxious little brat:'I'll ******* smash your face in': Shocking mobile phone footage shows teenage GIRL hitting and threatening men on train: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2M7V078pl

Maybe she wouldn't have turned out to be such a foul-mouthed little harridan had she been given a whack across the bare backside with a cane the moment she started backchatting the teacher.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

How about knocking the heads of parents around to teach some respect at home? Parents don't teach children to respect others, so they go to school (or wherever) and act disrespectfully. Put the blame where it belongs.

That's because many of the parents nowadays are just as thuggish, unruly and disrespectful as their kids as many parents today also received no corporal punishment at school.

• Like 1

The Left banned caning and other forms of corporal punishment in British schools in 1987, saying that we shouldn't hurt unruly kids.

The left? We had a Torie government before, during and after 1987.

The left? We had a Torie government before, during and after 1987.

It's the Left Wing Establishment which REALLY runs modern Britain.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

with unruly kids having no respect for teachers, due to teachers being powerless to punish the guilty, should corporal punishment be introduced as a deterrent?

*sound of can of worms being opened*

As long as it happens with parental consent first to prevent abuses.

• Like 1

It's the Left Wing Establishment which REALLY runs modern Britain.

Yes, if you say so, but it was quite clearly a right-wing government that abolished corporal punishment. Yet you are still blaming it on the left. You blame the left for everything. Oh, if only life's problems were all so simple.

As long as it happens with parental consent first to prevent abuses.

that was my original question Mr, 'would you allow your child to be punished'?

What happen's if or when the kid getting punished did nothing wrong or did nothing that warrants being punished ? (there are teachers that have a bad day and take it out on the kids at school)

What happen's if the wrong person gets punished, all because the peson that should of got punished is good at being deceitful ?

somebody on this thread mentioned having cameras in classes, a brilliant idea that would solve this problem.

as for the teacher, if they HAD taken a bad day out on someone, they should be instantly dismissed and banned from teaching for life, after all, these ARE children we're talking about!

somebody on this thread mentioned having cameras in classes, a brilliant idea that would solve this problem.

as for the teacher, if they HAD taken a bad day out on someone, they should be instantly dismissed and banned from teaching for life, after all, these ARE children we're talking about!

I think the opposite about cameras. It would be a massive invasion of privacy and how secure would school networks be from attacks to get such videos? It's a dark path, the road of constant surveillance.

Besides, I doubt most unruly kids would care too much about a camera. After all, they already act as such with a teacher in the room.

I agree with ExpandMyMind. I don't think cameras would be much of a deterrent. I've had students (13 year olds) start fights literally three feet away from me, yell at me and stalk out of the classroom, and use the f-bomb about another student in my presence. They (not all, but some) have a don't-care attitude about misbehaving.

• Like 2

I think the opposite about cameras. It would be a massive invasion of privacy

i'm not sure privacy would be an issue, classrooms of thirty five kids are hardly dens of seclusion?

Besides, I doubt most unruly kids would care too much about a camera. After all, they already act as such with a teacher in the room.

maybe if they knew they were going to get a good hiding, they wouldn't....?

don't get me wrong, i'm not getting ready to jump when the 'flog 'em 'til they bleed' bandwagon rolls past, I can see the merit in both sides of the argument, but I can't help thinking that lack of dicipline plays a big part in kids' attitudes towards others these days!

(and not forgetting gangsta rap either!)