Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

GREAT Britain=60 million acre island resort

little_dreamer

Great Britain is a 60 million acre island resort according to British Airways.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/visit-britain-2013/public/en_us?DM1_Mkt=US&DM1_Channel=DIS&DM1_Campaign=visit-britain-2013&DM1_Site=TRAVORA&utm_source=TRAVORA&utm_medium=Display&utm_campaign=visit-britain-2013

Not that I can afford to visit, but would you agree with them?

post-71071-0-60638900-1362178089_thumb.j

LOL!

I think that sums it up.

Sure, why not. If you go to the right places it's a lovely part of the world...

• Like 3

It's cold,It's cloudy,It's miserable,don't bother till late spring...and then bring an umbrella.

• Like 1

Well 30 million of those acres have been taken up by Heathrow and Buckingham Palace.

They seemingly build new terminals at London's main airport every year.

There's also quite a bit of Chav infested urban blight and decay.

We also have a two tier polictical system just like the States.

And there's a chance of the weather being cloudy with a chance of meatballs in the summer.

We also have a society divided into the haves and the have- nots.

But other than that it's a green and pleasant land...

So glad you could make it!

• Like 2

It's beautiful at times and in certain places but hardly Australia.

• Like 3

i'm lucky enough to have lived all over the UK, cornwall, somerset, south wales, wiltshire, yorkshire, and it's beautiful. my family come from ireland, which has some great scenery, and scotland looks fantastic in all weathers (fortunately!), so i, for one, am glad I live in britain.

is it any coincidence that bill bryson, the world's best travel writer, came to live over here? (particularly in yorkshire.)

compared to many other places, the UK is very, very green, and that's always a good thing!

nowhere else has such a range of moorland, mountains, dales, dramatic coastlines, valleys and fells, and on the right day, can beat anything any other country has to offer in terms of scenery.

people who say britain isn't beautiful really should get out more and travel it, instead of relying on the bits they see on eastenders.

-a proud yorkshireman and briton.

Agreed! I hail from a part of the world not too far from you, easy access to the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, the Pennines. All beautiful, often lush and green.

I go to uni in Cardiff, and again on my way there via train you see some incredibly beautiful scenery.

I go to Cornwall every year, and I defy anyone to find somewhere nicer than Cornwall on a hot, clear summer's day (when we get them).

stives_1439105c.jpg

Yes please.

• Like 4

I defy anyone to find somewhere nicer than Cornwall on a hot, clear summer's day

you ask the impossible!!

I was practically raised in a little village called crantock, just outside of newquay, and the walk through travella and down to the river gannel is for me, the nicest walk on earth! (maybe the road from amesbury to stonehenge comes close, but for different reasons.)

cornwall is littered with prehistoric remains, and watching the '99 eclipse from the merry maidens stone circle near penzance was definitely one of the highlights of my life so far!

I figured that the UK has its problems like any other nation, based on what I have read here. But it can't be so bad if you have so many tourists and immigrants coming in.

Just thought I would show you how your nation was being marketed to the world.

That's a nice beach scene up there. Maybe it really is an island resort.

Edited by little_dreamer
  • Like 1

I would love to visit some summer. To England but also Ireland and especially Scotland. I love the mountains and the pastures, the seacoast is no special draw because I see it often where I live but any place where I might have to pull out long sleeves in summer is THE place for me ;)

• Like 4

you'd love scotland!

I know it gets a lot of bad press due to the weather, but with the scenery they have, you really don't mind it!

I once spent a week in aberdeen, checking out the dozens of prehistoric sites they have around there, and it p!ssed it down the entire time, day&night, and believe me, sleeping in a tent for a week in the rain? the noise drove you crazy!! but I loved every minute of it,and wouldn't have missed it for the world!

• Like 3

Just don't goto London, Manchester, infact any of the cities. The countryside and highlands are really nice. Oh the lake district too,

• Like 3

Just don't goto London, Manchester, infact any of the cities. The countryside and highlands are really nice. Oh the lake district too,

Small cities are nice though. Cardiff, Bath, Durham...

It's cold,It's cloudy,It's miserable,don't bother till late spring...and then bring an umbrella.

I don't think it would be wise for any British tourism agency to recruit you, otherwise we'd never get any tourists or their much-needed money.

You can imagine it:

"Hello, sir. I'm phoning from New York City. Me and my new wife are planning on coming to visit Britain later this year. Can you tell us any places that you think we would like to visit?

"Don't bother, pal. It's cold, rainy, miserable. Not only that, but there are no places worth seeing and there is nothing at all for you to do. Go to Benidorm instead."

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

They seemingly build new terminals at London's main airport every year

And quite right, too. Britain's airport capacity is currently not sufficient and we are starting to lag behind our major competitiors in this regard and it's hurting our economy. That's why I support the proposed building of new airports like Boris Island.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Don't go to London or Manchester?

So you want tourists to come to Britain but not visit Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, Hyde Park, Harrods, St Paul's Cathedral, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, the Tate Modern, the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, the Science Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Madame Tussauds, the Royal Museums Greenwich, the Manchester Ship Canal, the Museum of Science and Industry, Old Trafford, the Emirates, the MEN Arena, the Lowry Outlet Mall, Canal Street, the Royal Exhange Theatre, the Imperial War Museum North, and places near Manchester like Salford Docks, Salford's Lowry Centre and Salford's MediaCityUK, the new home of much of the BBC?

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 3

Don't go to London or Manchester?

So you want tourists to come to Britain but not visit Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace, the Tower of London, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, Hyde Park, Harrods, St Paul's Cathedral, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, the Tate Modern, the National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, the Science Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, Madame Tussauds, the Royal Museums Greenwich, the Manchester Ship Canal, the Museum of Science and Industry, Old Trafford, the Emirates, the MEN Arena, the Lowry Outlet Mall, Canal Street, the Royal Exhange Theatre, the Imperial War Museum North, and places near Manchester like Salford Docks, Salford's Lowry Centre and Salford's MediaCityUK, the new home of much of the BBC?

I wouldn't make the trip and not spend a few days in London but it would be the countryside that would hold the thrill for me. Hiking and even camping sounds wonderful. The rain I can dress for :) I currently live in the city in the US that usually ties with Seattle,Wa. for the rainiest. Mobile, Al.
  • Like 1

Having grown up on the 16th floor of an inner London council estate in South London and now roaming on the tranquil canals of England, England has a lot of wonderful places to see.......and it has its share of DO NOT WANT TO SEE ever again places. But guess most countries in the world have that.

I just hope our tranquil and pleasant countryside does not get concreted to help those who do not give a damn about it get rich!

We do not need any more airports, if people want to come over and there are not enough planes or airports, then let them do what we have to do when we need an op....WAIT in the queue til there is a space on the flight!

• Like 1

And quite right, too. Britain's airport capacity is currently not sufficient and we are starting to lag behind our major competitiors in this regard and it's hurting our economy. That's why I support the proposed building of new airports like Boris Island.

Tbh I had my tongue firmly in cheek when I wrote that.

It's just that Saturday brings out my funny side on the build- up to a big game.

I never realised my frivolous musings would have a kernel of truth.

Boris Island sounds just like the ticket because there's no space left for an other terminal.

Anything that has a chance of improving the economy gets my vote.

I'll get to this thread seriously tomorrow when my head isn't in bits.

And so would you if your team had a last gasp win scoring twice in the last four minutes.

I'm going to properly sell our great country to the masses.

Not only that but I'm going to keep a straight face while I do it.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Great Britain is a 60 million acre island resort according to British Airways.

http://www.britishai...it-britain-2013

Not that I can afford to visit, but would you agree with them?

Sure just close your eyes when driving past some 14 year old chavs, pregnant and sat on the wall drinking cider.

If you're near Liverpool remember to park your car somwhere well lit lol

• Like 3

Sure just close your eyes when driving past some 14 year old chavs, pregnant and sat on the wall drinking cider.

removed.

Edited by freetoroam

maybe i've got this wrong, but isn't someone with a right-wing point of view supposed to defend his country?

i've just spent the last 18mths in liverpool, and your point of view couldn't be any more wrong if you'd copy/pasted it from lamestereotypes.com

live up to your name, mr right wing, and promote the land of your birth, instead of slating it.

• Like 3

Shrooma, they'll slate anyone who dun't talk proper like them ones dun south. :yes:

When I am queen of the entire country, not just the North, I'll teach 'em. ;)

• Like 2

Shrooma, they'll slate anyone who dun't talk proper like them ones dun south. :yes:

When I am queen of the entire country, not just the North, I'll teach 'em. ;)

Oh `ear, its Sauf with a capital S...innit!

huge_smiley_with_tongue_out.gif

• Like 3