Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Origin of Sekhmet is Löwenfrau- 40 000 y.o.?

Big Bad Voodoo

Kmt,

Thanks on support about my English. Feel free to correct my bad grammar.

I didn know that Aurignacian culture extend to Levant. That somehow can support my strech idea. Time gap is big but still. Many things originate far back in history. such as usage of fire, usage of language, clothing...Also you said that origin of Sekhmet is unknown. Ofcourse that doesnt proof that Im right, But they are VERY similar. Even design. Atleast to me.

In my country we called Sphinx - Sfinga. Indicating female. Just interesting thing which probably explain my mistake.

Also as I understand Aker is connected with heavens. Seting and rising sun. So could it be that Sphinx was once leo representing one guradian Aker?

kmt wrote you're (you are) for your, I wouldn't be relying on him to correct your grammar...

You're English is fine

:w00t:

But I do agree with kmt, your English is fine L.

I like the Sekhmet idea too.

When Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola first encountered the Magdalenian paintings of the Altamira cave, Cantabria, Spain in 1879, the academics of the time considered them hoaxes.

All I can say is thank goodness the open-minded people question these all-knowing academics and their opinions.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

I hope we're not bringing back the Inquisition of ye olden days

Well yes, but logical thought provides us a way to judge old information against new data, so we can retain the useful and ditch the untrue. Wildly believing without rigor or reason whatever happens to appeal to an individual doesn't really do that. If you have a better system, now's the time to pipe up.

--Jaylemurph

I wish I had a better system but I haven't. If anybody was to propose one it probably wouldn't be met with great enthusiasm but I for one think that the current system in place is a little too set in its ways and would benefit from a little shake up from time to time, much the same as any established practice does, and it will always ruffle some feathers. This is why those who think just that little bit outside the box and offer alternative ideas ought to be given just a bit more thought without being classified as radical as some of the more well known names that have been proposing some extreme notions hitherto.

kmt wrote you're (you are) for your, I wouldn't be relying on him to correct your grammar...

:w00t:

Your correcting my spelling? Is you're English up to the task? :D

Your correcting my spelling? Is you're English up to the task? :D

You did it again.

You're is you are so the sentence isn't working. Then you have your where you should have you're.

You should have:

"You're correcting my spelling? Is your English up to the task?"

It certainly is kmt.

:tu:

Edited by The Puzzler

The lion figurine has 7 cuts on his arm, I don't know if these are on the other arm. I wonder what they represented...?

It makes me think the figure is actually a male, European lions didn't have full African lion manes apparently which means this might not actually be a female lioness.

Maahes is a male lion-headed deity of Egypt and he is among other things, a deity of knives.

That made me think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maahes

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

You did it again.

You're is you are so the sentence isn't working. Then you have your where you should have you're.

You should have:

"You're correcting my spelling? Is your English up to the task?"

It certainly is kmt.

:tu:

He was baiting you just to get a rise Puzzler and you fell for it. :lol:

cormac

He was baiting you just to get a rise Puzzler and you fell for it. :lol:

cormac

I don't think so because he wrote you're for your before I commented but if you want to justify it like that, fine, have a laugh at my expense, I'm good.

Edited by The Puzzler

The Aurignacian culture who might have produced the lion figure used prepared blades, not flakes, which says to me they were more adept with knives, like carving and their use in general, which could have led to having a god (like Maahes) or goddess of this knife, which would have been an important utensil at the time and given them an edge over their rivals in many ways. Maahes happens to be a God of War too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurignacian

I don't think so because he wrote you're for your before I commented but if you want to justify it like that, fine, have a laugh at my expense, I'm good.

Nope, just stating the obvious. He was clearly attempting to blow off any concerns 'the L' had about others complaints about his English, in a humorous way. What's hilarious is that you play lego-linguistics quite often, yet you're complaining about someone elses grammar. Now that's hilarious.

cormac

Nope, just stating the obvious. He was clearly attempting to blow off any concerns 'the L' had about others complaints about his English, in a humorous way. What's hilarious is that you play lego-linguistics quite often, yet you're complaining about someone elses grammar. Now that's hilarious.

cormac

I wasn't complaining, I was having a joke that L shouldn't be asking kmt about grammar when he spelt you're for your.

Your attempts to mock me constantly IS what's hilarious.

This concentration of evidence of full behavioral modernity in the period of 40 to 30 thousand years ago, including figurative art and instrumental music, is unique worldwide and Conard speculates that the bearers of the Aurignacian culture in the Swabian Alb may be credited with the invention, not just of figurative art and music, but possibly, early religion as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Hohle_Fels

Yes, Puzzler, I was only trying to have fun. I had hoped that was obvious. And yes, that was a typo in the post you caught. We all make typos.

I have an advanced degree in English education, by the way, but I've never felt the need to critique the grammar and spelling of my fellow UM posters.

Yes, Puzzler, I was only trying to have fun. I had hoped that was obvious. And yes, that was a typo in the post you caught. We all make typos.

I have an advanced degree in English education, by the way, but I've never felt the need to critique the grammar and spelling of my fellow UM posters.

Like I said, it was meant to be a joke, for when the L asked you to feel free to correct his grammar but you had yours wrong. I thought it was amusing.

Why would it be that obvious when you'd already made the mistake once before I commented? (Not that I expect an answer, I wish I'd never said anything, as usual.)

I collect dictionaries and do lego-linguistics for fun, I might not have a fancy degree but I know my ABC's.

A typo - you're for your? I've been around here too long kmt, but if you say so...

I'd hate to have offended you, you're one of the very few I actually respect on this board.

:innocent:

Edited by The Puzzler

I think I'll watch 'My Fair Lady' again tonight ....

• Like 1

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain."

But it doesn't actually, it falls mainly in the northern mountains, in Cantabria.

Cantabria is the richest region in the world for archaeological sites from the Upper Paleolithic period, although the first signs of human occupation date from Lower Paleolithic. The most significant site for cave paintings is that in the cave of Altamira, dating from about 37,000 BC[3] and declared, along with nine other Cantabrian caves, as World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabria

Anyway, back to the lion, they have found a smaller one too.

After this artifact was identified, a similar, but smaller, lion-headed sculpture was found, along with other animal figures and several flutes, in another cave in the same region of Germany.This leads to the possibility that the lion-figure played an important role in the mythology of humans of the early Upper Paleolithic. The sculpture can be seen in the Ulmer Museum in Ulm, Germany.

http://www.donsmaps.com/lionlady.html (with pictures of it)

Seems they have found more pieces of the Lion figure too.

The overburden in the cave was re-examined. The entire backfill of 1939 was sieved, says the excavator Claus-Joachim Kind. He made a sensational announcement: 'We have about a thousand items which may be of the statue'.

There are some pieces only a few square millimetres in size, and some which are as long as a finger. The piece was put together as all such important fragmented finds are, with beeswax and chalk, which is a glue which is strong enough to be stable, but weak enough to be removed easily if required.

In the next few weeks, the piece was brought to Esslingen and completely dissected. The old glue was loosened and removed, providing a record of the original reconstruction. Then the much anticipated putting together of the jigsaw began. Child hopes: "The mysterious art of Baden-Württemberg will soon confront us in its original appearance." It is already clear that the figure will grow a few centimetres - the new finds include parts of the neck, the hole can be plugged on the back, the right arm is available in its entirety. It is also certain the the figure has more strange marks on its surface.

------------------------

The fact that in ancient times magicians dressed in skins, to celebrate rites with fire , is considered likely. Hybrids of animals and humans are also known from rock paintings in France. The magician apparently slipped under the skins of dangerous Ice Age fauna. Cave lions weighed over 250 kg.

In a cave at the foot of the Pyrenees is depicted a man with a kind of musical instrument. He has the hide of a bison thrown over him. Even this 800 kg behemoth was not to be trifled with. Maybe the hunters wanted to acquire the strength of the animals and take possession of its soul through masquerade and dance. Such motives may be gleaned from ​​old reports of Siberian indigenous peoples. Their shamans up to modern times wore antlers on the head. The same is told by study of the Blackfoot Indians. The healers danced around intoxicated by the sound of drums, wearing bear skins.

The 'lion man' is standing on tiptoe. He also seems to dance. Just who is under the cloak? Lions are considered symbols of courage and strength - men's virtues. In the Amazon, or in Australia, there are still shamans. Most of them are men.

On the other hand, the statue has features which make one wonder. The navel is a symbol of birth and the navel can be seen clearly. Over the abdomen runs a transverse abdominal crease, a typical female trait.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

Wow. Thanks Puzzler. I didnt know that there was more lion heads found in Europe.

Also I like idea about Maahes. Must say that I never heard about it before. One cant ignore Sphinx in this story. Im 100% sure that Sphinx was once lion. When I first time visited Egypt I thought on Ram or Anubis. But lion seems valid. In the end we have lion sculptures from Old kingdom in poistion exactly as Sphinx. If in Egypt was Lion cult I wonder what it reperesents? Maahes was God of war. Could it be that cuts on Löwenfrau indicate similarites as you proposed?

Recently I stumble upon information when caliph men entered in Great pyramid there was no body there. I dont know is that true. But then I remeber pictures of Sphinx burried in sand. So I start to wonder. Could it be that someone burried Sphinx on purpose. And just left head out. You know, like Gobekli Tepe. Or Olmecs head. They are fine example of forced surpression of culture.

So maybe Lion worship was spread to Egypt trough Levant. Or perhaps exported from Egypt to Europe 40 000 BC.

edit: also, thanks on your support on my English.

Edited by the L

Like I said, it was meant to be a joke, for when the L asked you to feel free to correct his grammar but you had yours wrong. I thought it was amusing.

Why would it be that obvious when you'd already made the mistake once before I commented? (Not that I expect an answer, I wish I'd never said anything, as usual.)

I collect dictionaries and do lego-linguistics for fun, I might not have a fancy degree but I know my ABC's.

A typo - you're for your? I've been around here too long kmt, but if you say so...

I'd hate to have offended you, you're one of the very few I actually respect on this board.

:innocent:

Puzzler, let's forget the preceding incident. I apologize for making it worse, and for no good reason on my part. I was in a bad mood due to a situation in another discussion and should not have posted into this one so soon afterward.

You didn't offend me. I just wasn't maintaining my temper like I should have. :tu:

Puzzler, let's forget the preceding incident. I apologize for making it worse, and for no good reason on my part. I was in a bad mood due to a situation in another discussion and should not have posted into this one so soon afterward.

You didn't offend me. I just wasn't maintaining my temper like I should have. :tu:

Boss !!! Da PLane!!! Da PLane !!!!

have a margarita boss, the guests have arrived ... with their fantasies

Boss !!! Da PLane!!! Da PLane !!!!

have a margarita boss, the guests have arrived ... with their fantasies

LOL You're an odd guy, third_eye. I've always liked that about you.

Can I make it a daiquiri instead? :innocent:

• Like 1

:tsu: