Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Projecting our crap

markdohle

Everyone from my experience and yes that includes me as well, tend to over focus on how people from any group are the same, talk the same etc. Also the tendency to focus on the negative is also easy and natural. We then try to over estimate the good qualities of our own group at the expense of others. Atheist do this just as much as theist. Also different beliefs, the stronger they are held, make the opposing sides position seemingly untenable....again atheist and theist do this.

Our beliefs are simply there, we can choose to deepen them or not. We can also choose to deal in stereotypes and not real people, it is the lazy and easy way to go. Our world is not in the shape it is in because we tend to be objective and fair in our judgments of others.

Atheists are not more intelligent, nor are they more logical than believers. Many are better at it because they are in the minority and need to defend themselves more. However there are more and more theist who are also getting good at defending their understanding on the nature of reality. The book shelves are getting full of this kind of thing. I am thankful for the New Atheist for bringing this dialogue to the public. I do not consider myself one of those good and defending my beliefs, I tend to close down. Perhaps because you can only say something in an argument so many times before it becomes a simple HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sound.

Secular governments have a track record just as bloody and inhumane as those who are run by a specific religion.....that is because people who crave power will gravitate to those positions where their passion to control others can be brought to fruition.

Until we know ourselves, we will continue to judge others harshly, thereby letting ourselves off the hook, why deal with ourselves when we can project all of our crap on to those of another group, be it religious, secular, racial or gender based?

Peace

mark

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Do you have access to Netflix? Speaking of power hungry, here are 3 excellent shows to check out: House of Cards (w/ Kevin Spacey), A Man for All Seasons ('66), and Cadfael (Derek Jacobi).

Peace.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Do you have access to Netflix? Speaking of power hungry, here are 3 excellent shows to check out: House of Cards (w/ Kevin Spacey), A Man for All Seasons ('66), and Cadfael (Derek Jacobi).

Peace.

Thank you I will check them out. I have seen "A man for all seasons".

Peace

mark

It has occurred to me that I often don't recognize my own as crap; I guess that's what's known as making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Every now & then, I do get a flash of "what was I thinking!", though.

• Like 1

Everyone from my experience and yes that includes me as well, tend to over focus on how people from any group are the same, talk the same etc. Also the tendency to focus on the negative is also easy and natural. We then try to over estimate the good qualities of our own group at the expense of others. Atheist do this just as much as theist. Also different beliefs, the stronger they are held, make the opposing sides position seemingly untenable....again atheist and theist do this.

Our beliefs are simply there, we can choose to deepen them or not. We can also choose to deal in stereotypes and not real people, it is the lazy and easy way to go. Our world is not in the shape it is in because we tend to be objective and fair in our judgments of others.

Atheists are not more intelligent, nor are they more logical than believers. Many are better at it because they are in the minority and need to defend themselves more. However there are more and more theist who are also getting good at defending their understanding on the nature of reality. The book shelves are getting full of this kind of thing. I am thankful for the New Atheist for bringing this dialogue to the public. I do not consider myself one of those good and defending my beliefs, I tend to close down. Perhaps because you can only say something in an argument so many times before it becomes a simple HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sound.

Secular governments have a track record just as bloody and inhumane as those who are run by a specific religion.....that is because people who crave power will gravitate to those positions where their passion to control others can be brought to fruition.

Until we know ourselves, we will continue to judge others harshly, thereby letting ourselves off the hook, why deal with ourselves when we can project all of our crap on to those of another group, be it religious, secular, racial or gender based?

Peace

mark

Recently I had a good friend share with me that her son is exploring Atheism, ( She is happily Catholic, her Mom is an ex nun.) She told me many of her friends are telling her she is an awful mother, that she should as a good Christian be telling him he was doing terribly wrong.

She said she would not do that no matter what, that her son (who is 16 ) has the right to think for himself and she understood it as a part of maturity, she said in was in the questioning/discussing the topic openly they could explore the idea together and she could give her POV too and it would be of equal value/merit. Her mom(an ex nun) who was sitting there too, said it was normal for kids to question and she embraced him for it.

It will be no surprise when I tell you this young man is tolerant/respectful of his family's traditions too.

I think it is the approach as you suggest. Great topic!

• Like 1

It has occurred to me that I often don't recognize my own as crap; I guess that's what's known as making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Every now & then, I do get a flash of "what was I thinking!", though.

LOL we all struggle with it, I do, that is what I write about, my own struggles.

Peace

Mark

Recently I had a good friend share with me that her son is exploring Atheism, ( She is happily Catholic, her Mom is an ex nun.) She told me many of her friends are telling her she is an awful mother, that she should as a good Christian be telling him he was doing terribly wrong.

She said she would not do that no matter what, that her son (who is 16 ) has the right to think for himself and she understood it as a part of maturity, she said in was in the questioning/discussing the topic openly they could explore the idea together and she could give her POV too and it would be of equal value/merit. Her mom(an ex nun) who was sitting there too, said it was normal for kids to question and she embraced him for it.

It will be no surprise when I tell you this young man is tolerant/respectful of his family's traditions too.

I think it is the approach as you suggest. Great topic!

I agree, our different beliefs, be the religous, philosophical or political can bring out our worst side, when the different sides meet and communicate. Thanks for the story, loved it.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

Just seeing the words tolerance & respect lifted my spirits a little. Those qualities allow us to embrace ourselves & the world, and create loving communities. I can't imagine the energy it must take to move through the world constantly comparing & judging, it's exhausting to just think about.

• Like 1

Just seeing the words tolerance & respect lifted my spirits a little. Those qualities allow us to embrace ourselves & the world, and create loving communities. I can't imagine the energy it must take to move through the world constantly comparing & judging, it's exhausting to just think about.

I am the cause of much of my suffering, most of it.... trying to control others is surely one way to be very unhappy. Perspective is what makes an issue a problem or not.

Peace

Mark