Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did we domesticate dogs or vice versa?

Still Waters

In the story of how the dog came in from the cold and onto our sofas, we tend to give ourselves a little too much credit. The most common assumption is that some hunter-gatherer with a soft spot for cuteness found some wolf puppies and adopted them. Over time, these tamed wolves would have shown their prowess at hunting, so humans kept them around the campfire until they evolved into dogs.

But when we look back at our relationship with wolves throughout history, this doesn't really make sense.

http://news.national...f-wolves-human/

Makes some sense,i have often wondered if i am walking my dogs,or if they are walking me :lol:

• Like 3

we pick up their poop, and feed them, they live rent free and have no responsibility other than to look cute and bark at intruders... and thats more just being cute and instinct...... yeahhhhh i think somewhere along the line we stopped being the master here.

• Like 3

we pick up their poop, and feed them, they live rent free and have no responsibility other than to look cute and bark at intruders... and thats more just being cute and instinct...... yeahhhhh i think somewhere along the line we stopped being the master here.

i don't think we ever were the masters.

granted I always called him my friend not my dog or my pet.

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 2

I suspect we have evolved together to some degree as there was benefit to both. For example, have you noticed that dog "owners," that is those who feed the dog, seem to appreciate that their dog barks when agitated. The barking could be suppressed using simple behavioral methods, think Pavlov. But, the barking is not discouraged as there is a multiplication of awareness to potential danger for fearful humans. But, those individuals living outside of the clan or pack typically find the barking damnably annoying as it provides no benefit.

I think I see behaviour in fox's that is similar to the question posed in this thread.

My local fox's are a lot more 'friendly' than in years gone by, I would guess that due to hunger they are willing to risk approaching people in exchange for food as opposed to running from us. The flip-side to this new found confidence is the attacking of young children.

Whichever way round it happened I am sure the need for food was a big part of the equation and as highdesert50 and other have said, mutual benefits...

Edited by Junior Chubb

We domesticated dogs, but cats are currently in the process of domesticating us...

• Like 1

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't dwell all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't feel all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

wow That sounds right to me I do believe dogs adapted to us and our way.I have one question though why do humans have the need or urge to dominate other species and etc.because there are many highly advanced civilizations. That could dominate us so I wouldn't feel all proud and might and especially invisible or unbeatable.let me tell you humans we wont dominate the planet earth and mother nature.for those who believe that we can I would highly think about that first.sure we can build devices and gadgets to manipulate it but in the end nature is more powerful and the planet than any machines and etc.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

We domesticated dogs, but cats are currently in the process of domesticating us...

Dogs have masters, cats have attendants.

• Like 1

Well Stilly, I hope the yapping neighbours aren't driving you too insane!

As for me and my wee mutt....

I have definetly "evolved" with him, or at least our relationship has evolved. When he was young and pretty fiesty, I barked orders at him and scolded alot. I don't know if it's because he is older now and more sedate, or if I have mellowed, but Iour relationship has definitely changed. I don't bark orders any more, I tend to go with reward and praise, more than barging and scolding. He is far more receptive to my commands these days.

I tend to think of him as one of God's wee angels sent to guide me in life. :-*

If you had a dog you could go hunt something. :P

Lilly, I know it's only an avator, but I SO want to stroke and pat you!!!!!

I view it more as a partnership. "We" are a pack of three. :yes:

And in my case as long as I was able to have dogs it was two of them and one of me. :-)

Lilly, I know it's only an avator, but I SO want to stroke and pat you!!!!!

Lilly was my first dog (long ago gone to the 'rainbow bridge'). But, I currently have two collies (Ruby and Rascal) who just love to be patted. In fact, Rascal is of the opinion that he's a 75 pound lap-dog!

Lilly was my first dog (long ago gone to the 'rainbow bridge'). But, I currently have two collies (Ruby and Rascal) who just love to be patted. In fact, Rascal is of the opinion that he's a 75 pound lap-dog!

I had a couple of Springer Spaniel + the neighborhood mixes that were of the same opinion. They were about the same size and it was amusing to watch them both decide they wanted my lap at the same time. Amazingly enough, they managed ... with Daddy kinda holding on to make sure no one slipped off. :-)

So does Rascal - and did Pepper & Cinnamon - have us properly trained hence domesticated in doggy sense or vice versa?

If you look back in history, we domesticated dogs to be our helpers in hunting and looking for missing persons.. When it comes to cats they domesticated themselves to us because cats realised that if they hung around humans there was always a way of getting food.. That's why cats are very distant at times cos they really are just there for a feed and off they go again.. But ether way both dogs and cats love to be with humans, especially dogs ;)

If you look back in history, we domesticated dogs to be our helpers in hunting and looking for missing persons.. When it comes to cats they domesticated themselves to us because cats realised that if they hung around humans there was always a way of getting food.. That's why cats are very distant at times cos they really are just there for a feed and off they go again.. But ether way both dogs and cats love to be with humans, especially dogs ;)

Did you read the article cited in the OP? It gives good reasons for the opposite, that dogs domesticated us. Cats, on the other hand, are still wild animals who tolerate us because we're a source of easy eats and a comfortable place to sleep. But look at which can go feral the easier, dogs or cats. It's cats and in doing so they're proving they have no real need for us at all.

That said, welcome to the asylum. Mostly good folks here but you can expect to have you position challenged all over the place. That's what makes this forum so interesting and lively because those challenges make us think and, in a number of cases, do our homework beforehand. At the same time, this is what makes this place educational. You can't help but learn new things here as long as you can keep an open mind.