Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

considering the 'racism' in OLB

Some more about Fryan 'apartheid' and the desire to make friends with the other races (distant peoples):

OLB page 111: "Apollanja" / Sandbach, p. 153

ALK MARUM IS EN MARE JEFTHA FLIT THÉR IN LÉID EN ÉLAND

VPPA THAT ÉLAND MOTON THA SWARTA AND BRUNA MANNISKA HWILA

ÉVIN AS TO LYDA.HIS.BURCH.

Alkmarum is a lake or river in which there is an island.

On this island the black and brown people must remain,

the same as at Lydasburgt.

THJU BURCH.FAM FON FOR.ANA SÉIDE MY.

THAT THA BURCH.HÉRA DÉISTIK TO RA GUNGON.

VMBRA TO LÉRANDE. HWAT AFTE FRYDOM SI.

AND HO THA MANNISKA AN THÉRE MINNE AGON TO LÉVANE

VMBE SÉJEN TO WINNANDE FON WR.ALDA.S.GAST.

The Burgtmaagd of Forana told me

that the burgtheeren go every day

to teach them what real freedom is,

and how it behoves men to live [1]

in order to obtain the blessing of Wr-alda's spirit.

WAS THÉR HWA THÉR HÉRA WILDE AND BIGRIPA MACHTE

SA WARTH ER HALDEN ALONT ER FVL.LÉRAD WÉRE.

THAT WRDE DÉN VMBE THA FÉRHÉMANDA FOLKA WIS TO MAKANE

AND VMBE VRAL ATHA TO WINNANDE.

If there was any one who was willing to listen and could comprehend,

he was kept there till he was fully taught.

That was done in order to instruct [2] the distant people,

and to make friends everywhere.

[1] TO LÉVANE AN THÉRE MINNE = to live lovingly

[2] WIS TO MAKANE = to make wise

Finally, the following articles from the primal laws ("Tex Fryas"), show the peaceful and cooperative nature of Fryan 'racism':

OLB page 13 / Sandbach p. 21-23

NE GRIP NA THAT FOLK FON LYDA NER FON FINDA AN.

WR.ALDA SKOLDE HELPA HJAM.

SA THAT.AT WELD THAT FON JO UT.GONG

VPPA JVWA AJNA HAVEDA SKOLDE WITHER KVMA.

Meddle not [1] with the people of Lyda, nor of Finda,

because Wr-alda would help them,

and any injury that you inflicted on them

would recoil upon your own heads.

SAHWERSA THAT MACHTE BÉRA

THAT HJA FON JUWE RÉD JEFTA AWET OWERS WILDE

ALSA AGHAT J TO HELPANE HJAM.

MEN KVMATH HJA TO RAWANDE

FAL THAN VPPA THAM NITHER LIK BLIXENANDE FJVR.

If it should happen

that they come to you for advice or assistance,

then it behoves you to help them;

but if they should rob you,

then fall upon them with fire and sword [2].

[1] NE GRIP AN = don't invade / start war

[2] LIK BLIXENANDE FJVR = like lightning fire

MEN KVMATH HJA TO RAWANDE

Justlike 'Otharus' (we share the same origin), I like to 'play' with words (that is: compare them).

verb:

roven - dutch

röva - swedish

røve - norwegian

rob - english

rauben - german

rāvia - old-frisian

rēafian - old-english

rober - old-french

noun:

raaf - dutch

ravn - danish, norwegian

ravnur - faroese

hrafn - icelandic

rabe - german

raven - english

raawen - north-frisian

hræfn - old-english

hrāban - old-german

According to Hettema's Old-frisian dictionary of 1832, "RAF" could both mean "roof" (rob) as "raaf" (raven).

"The raven standard was the flag of the Danish Vikings." (www.etymonline.com)

thievmagpiecloseup.jpg

(yes I know this is a magpie and not a raven)

=== edit to add:

rave (v.)

late 14c., "to show signs of madness or delirium," from Old French raver, variant of resver "to dream, wander, rave," of unknown origin (see reverie). The identical (in form) verb meaning "to wander, stray, rove" first appeared c.1300 in Scottish and northern dialect, and is probably from an unrelated [???] Scandinavian word (cf. Icelandic rafa).

rove (v.)

"to wander with no fixed destination," 1530s, possibly a Midlands dialectal variant of northern English and Scottish rave "to wander, stray," from Middle English raven, probably from Old Norse rafa "to wander, rove."

Edited by gestur

Platonic solids are a bit too platonic for me to get a grip on at the moment.

But concerning Fire-Four and the 4 phUr-Elements, I wondered about the fact that the fourth (and highest element) is the ever extending fire.

Vuur-Phur: brandschoon, pure (see burning ritual for cleansing), zuiver, sauber, super pure.

Along with the swastika (symbol of the sun, and the sun burns -> see burning wheel) we can see in that symbol 4 times 4. The 4 pure elements.

If we see that purusha is the unlimited conscience of the burning flame within, it is clear for me that vier-vuur-phuur (four-fire-pure) are related.

Pyro-maan, vuure-man.

On top, if we take pride-> zijn we fier -> we glimmen -> and vieren (celebrating) was done around the fire

Something interesting (IMO) about the FIRE - FOUR - PURE connection:

πυρ (pur) - greek = fire (dutch: vuur)

puur - dutch = pure

καθαρός (katharos) - greek = pure

quattuor - latin = four (dutch: vier)

quatre - french = four

... etcetera

(ketter - dutch = heretic; they used to be burned alive)

inquisitie.jpg

Edited by gestur

Regarding Aken in Aachen and Ljvdburch in Liège - even the form of today's Netherlands indicate the positions of those two burghs. The neighbouring countries of Belgium and Germany have stolen the burghs in later times, however, because cities grew from them, but the rest of this far southern land still remains in the possession of the Netherlands.

Now, when talking about those 3 countries (Dietsland) and looking at the maps it looks more that part-zeeland and limburg should be out of scope for the area that calls itself nowadays the 'Netherlands' :-)

This is rather interesting and someone might see something, a list of settlements lost to floods in the Netherlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_settlements_lost_to_floods_in_the_Netherlands#Zeeland_and_West_Brabant:_drowned_islands_in_the_delta_region

What about Amsterdam for the Waraburch? I know it's supposed to be around from 12th century AD but maybe at an earlier time a smaller burch existed in the Amster River mouth, which might be lost now.

616px-Cornelis_anthonisz_vogelvluchtkaart_amsterdam.JPG

http://en.wikipedia....ry_of_Amsterdam

It says it was situated in a prime trade area making a natural harbour, see the picture of all the ships in it?

Maybe Kaatsburch was situated closer to Walhallagara: but since Foppe has Walhallagara it would be nearby but not the same town (as Middelburg).

At last, when he found that there was nothing to be got from her, he went to Walhallagara (Walcheren). There there was established a Burgtmaagd whose name was Kaat, but who was commonly called Kalip, because her lower lip stuck out like a mast-head.

A Burgtmaagd named Kaat established at Walhallagara, sounds a candidate for Kaatsburch to me. Kâtsburch

Amsterdam got its wealth and expansion only in the 17th century. There has not been a castle. Kattenburg must be a phantasy name.

Now, when talking about those 3 countries (Dietsland) and looking at the maps it looks more that part-zeeland and limburg should be out of scope for the area that calls itself nowadays the 'Netherlands' :-)

Originally the provinces Brabant and Limburg did not belong to the SEVEN PROVINCES, which constituted the Netherlands. s. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeven_Provinci%C3%ABn .

This is not an exact science, it's about what looks most probable - which means what looks most probable to me.

I must rely on what The Oera Linda Book says, because it's what it is about. And then I use other sources, yes. Remains of most of the burghs are not traceable today by the use of material science, though. Should I then say the burghs didn't exist?

Regarding the placing of the burgh of Lindahêm in Kuinre I rely on the fact that new burghs often were situated in approximately the same locations as the previous ones. Kuinre was situated at the entrance of River Linde, which was the right location for the burgh of the 'Linda Places'. The site may have been another place than exactly in Kuinre, because of changes of the coastline through the ages.

In other words, Walhallagâra might also have been in Middelburgh. I rely on the fact that the OLB says it was in the middle of an island. Even the name of the city gives a hint which I cannot overlook, and there has been a burgh (which probably means several burghs) at the site, or close to it.

I don't think the Hâga Fênnas were in Belgium - that area sorted under The Sûdar Flílânda, which stretched far south along River Maas. Regarding Aken in Aachen and Ljvdburch in Liège - even the form of today's Netherlands indicate the positions of those two burghs. The neighbouring countries of Belgium and Germany have stolen the burghs in later times, however, because cities grew from them, but the rest of this far southern land still remains in the possession of the Netherlands.

Then it comes to my suggestion that Bvda was in Nijmegen, I have already put forward my theory that the Bvda People were the Batavians. Again I have relied upon the fact that burghs remained in approximately the same locations through the ages, of strategic reasons. The Batavians had their principal burgh in Nijmegen, They were expelled by the Romans around 12 BC. The Romans built a new burgh at the site in AD 39-40. The burgh of the Batavians may have been in the same area. However, experts are not in agreement when it comes to where the capital of the Batavians was located. It may have been in Batenburg or in Wijk by Duurstede.

Regarding Hoorn as the site of Wâraburgh - the OLB says it was situated in Aldergâmvde, and that Aldergâmvde was situated "three poles south of Mêdêasblik" (50/24-26), which means it cannot have been in Wyringgâ.

Thank you for liking my map, 'Abramelin' - even if it is as a map solely, because I made a lot of effort in making it.

The Batavians don't play any role in the OLB. They are not mentioned at all. The Batavians were an offspring of the Chatti (Hessen) in Roman times some 250 years later than Friso. The castle of Nijmegen has been built in Karolingian times (ca. 800).. Besides the Frisians were a coastal people. In the middle ages to Frisian territory reached until Utrecht, but this town is not mentioned in the OLB.

Edited by Knul

This is not an exact science, it's about what looks most probable - which means what looks most probable to me.

I must rely on what The Oera Linda Book says, because it's what it is about. And then I use other sources, yes. Remains of most of the burghs are not traceable today by the use of material science, though. Should I then say the burghs didn't exist?

Regarding the placing of the burgh of Lindahêm in Kuinre I rely on the fact that new burghs often were situated in approximately the same locations as the previous ones. Kuinre was situated at the entrance of River Linde, which was the right location for the burgh of the 'Linda Places'. The site may have been another place than exactly in Kuinre, because of changes of the coastline through the ages.

In other words, Walhallagâra might also have been in Middelburgh. I rely on the fact that the OLB says it was in the middle of an island. Even the name of the city gives a hint which I cannot overlook, and there has been a burgh (which probably means several burghs) at the site, or close to it.

I don't think the Hâga Fênnas were in Belgium - that area sorted under The Sûdar Flílânda, which stretched far south along River Maas. Regarding Aken in Aachen and Ljvdburch in Liège - even the form of today's Netherlands indicate the positions of those two burghs. The neighbouring countries of Belgium and Germany have stolen the burghs in later times, however, because cities grew from them, but the rest of this far southern land still remains in the possession of the Netherlands.

Then it comes to my suggestion that Bvda was in Nijmegen, I have already put forward my theory that the Bvda People were the Batavians. Again I have relied upon the fact that burghs remained in approximately the same locations through the ages, of strategic reasons. The Batavians had their principal burgh in Nijmegen, They were expelled by the Romans around 12 BC. The Romans built a new burgh at the site in AD 39-40. The burgh of the Batavians may have been in the same area. However, experts are not in agreement when it comes to where the capital of the Batavians was located. It may have been in Batenburg or in Wijk by Duurstede.

Regarding Hoorn as the site of Wâraburgh - the OLB says it was situated in Aldergâmvde, and that Aldergâmvde was situated "three poles south of Mêdêasblik" (50/24-26), which means it cannot have been in Wyringgâ.

Thank you for liking my map, 'Abramelin' - even if it is as a map solely, because I made a lot of effort in making it.

The HOGE VENEN in Belgium or in Germany do not belong to the coastal area occupied by the Frisians as far as Antwerp. It is my experience with the OLB that the author knew very well about geography. Just draw a line between the mouths of the Weser (Wrsara) and the Schelde (Sincfal) and you'll find the Frisian territory on the left side of this line.

Edited by Knul

Arnhem imo should be a candidate for one of these old towns or areas, maybe under a different name.

The earliest settlement in Arnhem dates from 1500 BC, where traces have been found on the Hoogkamp, where the Van Goyenstraat is currently located. In the inner city, around the Sint-Jansbeek, traces of settlement have been found from around 700 BC, while the first traces south of the Rhine have been found dating around 500 BC, in the Schuytgraaf.

Though the early tracks of settlements did show that the early residents of Arnhem descended from the forests on the hills, Arnhem was not built on the banks of the river Rhine, but a little higher along the Sint-Jansbeek. Arnhem arose on the location where the road between Nijmegen and Utrecht/Zutphen split. Seven streams provided the city with water, and only when the flow of the Rhine was changed in 1530, was the city located on the river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnhem

Achterhoek must have once been Saxon as the original language spoken there is Low Saxon.

I drowned in the etymology of achter - rear, from arch, like back, like axe - all from proto words...hmmmm.

I found a couple of villages actually called BUDA (or a form of it), although not in the preferred areas, but still.

This one is in Flanders, Belgium:

Buda has been known as the area north of the River Leie for centuries. From 1454 onwards, Buda was incorporated within the city boundaries thanks to new ramparts. This stone wall around the city was 2.3 km long. The name Buda rose for the first time at the end of the 17th century. In 1686, the city of Buda in Hungary was conquered from the Turks. Compared to Pest, the upper town of Buda lies on the other side of the Donau River. When Vauban in 1690 and 1698 developped the new forticifations around the Buda Island in Courtray, people said they had built a little Buda over here, near the existing Broel Towers. This name was kept alive among the inhabitants of the city and was found for the first times in the city archives in 1734. Later on, this name was given to the main street along the island. This Buda street (Budastraat in Dutch) is one of the eldest streets in town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buda_%28Kortrijk%29

Then I thought: how does the OLB translate the word/name BUDA? It means (also according to Old Frisian) sack, purse.

What is that in Dutch? It's BUIDEL.

Was/is there a city/village with that name? Yes, there is, and it is in the Dutch province of Brabant, on the border with Belgium, some 40 kilometers west of the river Maas/Meuse:

Budel

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budel

http://www.maplandia.com/netherlands/noord-brabant/budel/

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/buidel

Budel/Buidel is a socalled -l-derivation of bud-, budd-

In New Icelandic "budda" is money purse.

• Like 1

I found a couple of villages actually called BUDA (or a form of it), although not in the preferred areas, but still.

Buda has been known as the area north of the River Leie for centuries. From 1454 onwards, Buda was incorporated within the city boundaries thanks to new ramparts. This stone wall around the city was 2.3 km long. The name Buda rose for the first time at the end of the 17th century. In 1686, the city of Buda in Hungary was conquered from the Turks. Compared to Pest, the upper town of Buda lies on the other side of the Donau River. When Vauban in 1690 and 1698 developped the new forticifations around the Buda Island in Courtray, people said they had built a little Buda over here, near the existing Broel Towers. This name was kept alive among the inhabitant

Buda has been known as the area north of the River Leie for centuries. From 1454 onwards, Buda was incorporated within the city boundaries thanks to new ramparts. This stone wall around the city was 2.3 km long. The name Buda rose for the first time at the end of the 17th century. In 1686, the city of Buda in Hungary was conquered from the Turks. Compared to Pest, the upper town of Buda lies on the other side of the Donau River. When Vauban in 1690 and 1698 developped the new forticifations around the Buda Island in Courtray, people said they had built a little Buda over here, near the existing Broel Towers. This name was kept alive among the inhabitants of the city and was found for the first times in the city archives in 1734. Later on, this name was given to the main street along the island. This Buda street (Budastraat in Dutch) is one of the eldest streets in town.

http://en.wikipedia....Buda_(Kortrijk)

Then I thought: how does the OLB translate the word/name BUDA? It means (also according to Old Frisian) sack, purse.

What is that in Dutch? It's BUIDEL.

Was/is there a city/village with that name? Yes, there is, and it is in the Dutch province of Brabant, on the border with Belgium, some 40 kilometers west of the river Maas/Meuse:

Budel

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budel

http://www.maplandia...-brabant/budel/

http://www.etymologi...refwoord/buidel

Budel/Buidel is a socalled -l-derivation of bud-, budd-

In New Icelandic "budda" is money purse.

I thought of Budel, simply because that's the word in the Frisian Dictionary too.

bð-del

1, afries., st. M. (a): nhd. Beutel (M.) (1), Tasche; ne. bag (N.), purse (N.);

Hw.: vgl. as. bðdil, ahd. bðtil; Q.: W; E.: germ. *bðdila-, *bðdilaz, st. M. (a),

Beutel (M.) (1); s. idg. *beu- (2), *bu-, *b

heÈ-, *bhÈ-, V., blasen, schwellen,

Pokorny 98; W.: saterl. bul; L.: Hh 13a, Rh 673a

It might be made up of bue+del

bue = curve, arch (oh no not more arches) + del = opening - river delta

a purse as a bag has a curved opening.

But I didn't get to look for any Budel's around the place as yet.

Yeah, it's not in the online Old Frisian dictionary, but I know I have read it somewhere.

Anyway, BUDEL is a derivation from BUD/BUDD and so on.

And it's not made up of BUE+DEL, but BUDD+IL/EL.

Justlike 'Otharus' (we share the same origin), I like to 'play' with words (that is: compare them).

verb:

roven - dutch

röva - swedish

røve - norwegian

rob - english

rauben - german

rāvia - old-frisian

rēafian - old-english

rober - old-french

noun:

raaf - dutch

ravn - danish, norwegian

ravnur - faroese

hrafn - icelandic

rabe - german

raven - english

raawen - north-frisian

hræfn - old-english

hrāban - old-german

According to Hettema's Old-frisian dictionary of 1832, "RAF" could both mean "roof" (rob) as "raaf" (raven).

"The raven standard was the flag of the Danish Vikings." (www.etymonline.com)

thievmagpiecloseup.jpg

(yes I know this is a magpie and not a raven)

=== edit to add:

rave (v.)

late 14c., "to show signs of madness or delirium," from Old French raver, variant of resver "to dream, wander, rave," of unknown origin (see reverie). The identical (in form) verb meaning "to wander, stray, rove" first appeared c.1300 in Scottish and northern dialect, and is probably from an unrelated [???] Scandinavian word (cf. Icelandic rafa).

rove (v.)

"to wander with no fixed destination," 1530s, possibly a Midlands dialectal variant of northern English and Scottish rave "to wander, stray," from Middle English raven, probably from Old Norse rafa "to wander, rove."

Yes Gestur, nice one. Language is fun.

Made me think of ‘Kraai’ en ‘Graai’.

De graai-cultuur, as we know in Dutch.

Wasn’t the Earl (Jarl) the head of the robbers? -> G-raaf in Dutch :-)

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not in the online Old Frisian dictionary, but I know I have read it somewhere.

bù-del

bð-del

1, afries., st. M. (a): nhd. Beutel (M.) (1), Tasche; ne. bag (N.), purse (N.);

Hw.: vgl. as. bðdil, ahd. bðtil; Q.: W; E.: germ. *bðdila-, *bðdilaz, st. M. (a),

Beutel (M.) (1); s. idg. *beu- (2), *bu-, *b

heÈ-, *bhÈ-, V., blasen, schwellen,

Pokorny 98; W.: saterl. bul; L.: Hh 13a, Rh 673a

http://www.koeblerge...ch/afries-B.pdf

Edited by The Puzzler

beu for swelling I've seen. (I'll go back on bow because I first thought it was bue) Fir Bolg possibly also has this root in bolg/bulge and so does bull.

del might be valley then down, descent or under/low. Delta = low (lands) (Again, not opening as I first said)

beu-del

the word beu-del as bù-del and buda really should have something to do with these root words..

Sounds like a descriptive for where Buda might have been situated.

It also sounds very much like and describes a bottle.

A low swelling. Here's a pretty bottle that shows it:

150px-Bottle_Iran_16.JPG

Purses and bags would have been the same shape, a swollen bag drawn in at the top.

Greek βοῦττις (bouttis), "vessel"

Edited by The Puzzler

Yes Gestur, nice one. Language is fun.

:tu:

This Bitberg.

The city’s name derives from its Celtic toponym, Beda.

Toponym should just mean that is was known as this, it doesn't mean the Celts named it this but could mean it was known as this from the Celts at the time it became heard of.

It's 2000 years old at least.

Here's something about a Goddess Beda...

This goddess is known from a single inscription, dedicated by Germanic tribesmen, found at Housesteads and her name was probabl used as that of the tutelary goddess of Bitburg, Germany (formerly known as Beda Vicus). She forms one half of the warrior deities Alaisiagae and represents burial (which is also the meaning of her name). This would indicate that she may have been a psychopomp, like the Irish Morrigan, carrying the spirits of the departed to the mext realm.

In another inscription within the same temple her name is replaced by that of the Germanic goddess Frigabis whiich strongly suggests syncretization of the two deities. Another centre of worship may have been the twon of Bitburg, Germany, which was called "Beda Vicus", which means in both Celtic and Germanic the 'Village of Beda.'

The name Beda is probably derived from the same root as the Cymric beddu (to place in the grave, to bury) an apposite name for one of the Alaisiagae. As a goddess of burial and the battle dead she may be a psychopomp, one who transports the spirits of the dead to the next world.

http://www.celtnet.o...ods_b/beda.html

beddu - if I'm not wrong, one normally LOWERS a coffin into the ground. beddu imo is relative to budel - like 'treasure', is buried - bury the purse. (vessel)

It might just be a Celtic form of the original Fryan word, Buda.

But actually, to get more confusing the name of the other Goddess seems more like Buda. Boudihillia.

Along with Beda Boudihillia forms a pair of goddesses known as the Alaisiagae and they represent burial and the righteousness of battle.

The following inscription to Boudihillia was found in the Vercoviciivm fort on Hadrian's Wall, Housesteads, Northumberland: DEABVS ALAISIAGIS BAVDIHILLIE ET FRIAGABI ET N AVGN HNAVDIFRIDI VSLM (To the Alaisagae goddesses Boudihillia and Friagabis, and to the divine spirit of the Emperor, the Numerus of Hnaudifridius willingly and deservedly fulfills its vow). In another inscription within the same temple her name is replaced by that of the Germanic goddess Fimmilena whiich strongly suggests syncretization of the two deities.

The name Boudihillia is probably derived from the reconstructed proto-Celtic roots: *boudi- (victory) and hīlījā (fullness, righteousness) giving 'Righteousness of Battle' an apposite name for one of the Alaisiagae; goddesses of battle and death

Either way, I do not think Fryans had Goddesses, so the above is Celtic influenced, you'd have to look under the layers more.

Anyway, that's enough word-fun for me tonight.

Edited by The Puzzler

Maybe it's an interesting find, which fits in with your theory that Hautes Fagnes was Hâga Fênna.

But why name a burgh from a purse or a sack?

And to which grieteni did the area in which Apollânja travelled belong - the Rhine, all the way to the Bodensee?

Was it a new grieteni, established after the grietmen wrote down their list - with Ny.Fryasburch as its administration center?

Edited by Apol

Ok so here's my coin in the bag for reconstruction of topography.

I agree with Apol (think he said it) that we should look at what must have been the most strategic sites.

Conquerors (or new rulers) often rename a place (New Amsterdam became New York, Batavia became Jakarta, etc).

Köln/ Cologne / Keulen/ Colonia was a Roman Colony and it is a very strategic site at the river Rhine.

According to Wiki, "Cologne was Oppidum Ubiorum, founded in 38 BC by the Ubii, a Cisrhenian Germanic tribe", but it may be much older and it may have had a very different name in earlier times.

=== edit to add:

One main area in Cologne is named "Lindenthal".

About the coat of arms (wiki):

The three crowns symbolize the Magi (Three Wise Men) whose bones are said to be kept in a golden sarcophagus in Cologne Cathedral.

The eleven tears are a reminder of Cologne's patron, Saint Ursula, a Britannic princess, and her legendary 11,000 virgin companions who were supposedly martyred by Attila the Hun at Cologne for their Christian faith in 383.

(Myths like this may very well have a much older origin.)

Edited by gestur

Maybe it's an interesting find, which fits in with your theory that Hautes Fagnes was Hâga Fênna.

But to which grieteni did the area in which Apollânja travelled belong - the Rhine all the way to the Bodensee?

Was it a new grieteni, established after the grietmen wrote down their list - with Ny.Fryasburch as its administration center?

The Bodensee would be so named because it's bottle shaped. It says named after nearby town of Bodman, where the stilt piles are. Bodman is probably men who live near the Boden. Baden also is probably related.

Check it's shape.

240px-Bodensee_satellit.jpg

Your question is good too, I'm still considering all possibilities myself.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

Ok so here's my coin in the bag for reconstruction of topography.

I agree with Apol (think he said it) that we should look at what must have been the most strategic sites.

Conquerors (or new rulers) often rename a place (New Amsterdam became New York, Batavia became Jakarta, etc).

Köln/ Cologne / Keulen/ Colonia was a Roman Colony and it is a very strategic site at the river Rhine.

According to Wiki, "Cologne was Oppidum Ubiorum, founded in 38 BC by the Ubii, a Cisrhenian Germanic tribe", but it may be much older and it may have had a very different name in earlier times.

=== edit to add:

One main area in Cologne is named "Lindenthal".

About the coat of arms (wiki):

The three crowns symbolize the Magi (Three Wise Men) whose bones are said to be kept in a golden sarcophagus in Cologne Cathedral.

The eleven tears are a reminder of Cologne's patron, Saint Ursula, a Britannic princess, and her legendary 11,000 virgin companions who were supposedly martyred by Attila the Hun at Cologne for their Christian faith in 383.

(Myths like this may very well have a much older origin.)

It has also been theorized that Ursula is a Christianized form of the goddess Freya, who welcomed the souls of dead maidens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Ursula

• Like 1

But why name a burgh from a purse or a sack?

See my post #2842 for my own explanation of this.

Before I do go to bed, one more for Abe:

Etymology 1

From Middle English budde 'bud, seedpod', from Proto-Germanic *buddōn (compare Dutch bot 'bud', German Hagebutte ‘hip, rosehip', Butzen 'seedpod', Swedish dialect bodd 'head'), perhaps from Proto-Indo-European *bʰew-, *bu- (“to swell”).

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bud

Perhaps BOTH words come from beu - to swell.