Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The True Meaning of Life

Blueogre2

You could/can analyse an angel, but first you have to catch it and get its permisson .

You most certainly can (as i do) use scientific method to examine the form and function of physical angels, just as you could a friend or a wife. But my wife wouldnt like you scraping bits off her or dissecting her when she isn't dead.

But, because when in physicla manifestation angels are physical/material beings it might be possible to get a skin sample or a swab and do a dna test it would certianly be interesting. Next time i meet one i will ask them. The other possiblity is that they are holographic or transmitted forms of being, which might make it harder. ie they teleport in and out of existence via a transmat beam.

Even going to sydney to meet you would require an element of faith onmy part. For example you might subsitute your twin brother for your self or fake an ID, but in part you are correct . And if you were with me when an angel appeared, I kknow from past experience that you would hear it see it and be able to touch it and connect with it. As in my going to sydney, the most convincing proofs entail being there at the time.

My question was, how could sherapy prove conclusively to me from where she is, that she exists? It is as hard as me proving from where i am, to her, that an angel i encounter is real.

That is true for an alien being or a ghost, also. BUT if you or she is with me when i encounter one, you will see, hear, and experience just what I do, and then you can decide for yourself. Angels are not beings, in my experience, that manifest within your mind, but physically, within the environment we all share. Otherwise they could well be products of delusion or hallucination.

So personal experience qualifies as objective evidence. That's new to me.
  • Like 1

So personal experience qualifies as objective evidence. That's new to me.

Personal experience is the first, and best, and in many cases the only evidence available to an individual, and certainly it can be objective, otherwise none of us could ever be sure of the existence of anything.

Every form of scientific evidence is first; observed, discovered, and recorded, via some individual's personal experience. One person's experience has as much objective validity as one hundred individual person's experiences, because basically our minds and our senses are all the same. (with some notable differences)

Put a large rock on a path and one person will walk around it. So will the next 100,or 1000, but it only needs the first one, to confirm its existence. If youTHINK you have placed a rock on the path; in fact you are sure you have, but the first person walks straight through it, then you can ascertain that your rock only had subjective existence in your mind.

Edited by Mr Walker

None of us can be sure of the existence of anything, and personal experience is perhaps one of the worst offenders, since we are so prone to self-delusion.

The way we build up reasonable confidence in things is if we share our experience with others and they confirm what we have experienced. If I see a ghost and no one else sees anyting, I should doubt my eyes. If others with me also see it, then we can confirm that something ghostly may be going on, but, of course, since my example here is so outre, we will need to be careful someone is not playing a trick on us or something like that.

Science is like that; well-respected scientists can report an observation and it will be accepted but still quickly checked by others. The test of liklihood enters here -- the further "out there" an observation is -- the more unlikely it seems or the less it fits with established knowledge -- the more intense will be the scrutiny and the more aggressive will be the questions. This is all as it should be.

Ah it has decided to rain; how nice.

• Like 1

None of us can be sure of the existence of anything, and personal experience is perhaps one of the worst offenders, since we are so prone to self-delusion.

The way we build up reasonable confidence in things is if we share our experience with others and they confirm what we have experienced. If I see a ghost and no one else sees anyting, I should doubt my eyes. If others with me also see it, then we can confirm that something ghostly may be going on, but, of course, since my example here is so outre, we will need to be careful someone is not playing a trick on us or something like that.

Science is like that; well-respected scientists can report an observation and it will be accepted but still quickly checked by others. The test of liklihood enters here -- the further "out there" an observation is -- the more unlikely it seems or the less it fits with established knowledge -- the more intense will be the scrutiny and the more aggressive will be the questions. This is all as it should be.

Ah it has decided to rain; how nice.

It must be terrible, and very difficult, to live so uncertain of your own senses and perceptions. Ii have no such doubts and my opinion is confirmed by academic works and by confirmationof tests and experiments onand by myself.

Humans are not "prone" to delusion at all Not every one is an accurate observer. That takes time, discipline, and training. Humans tend to see and construct patterns and connections which may not exist as part of the way we evolved to see our environment but that identification of actual patterns and connections also serves us well. Men have much better depth and movement perception. Women have better pattern recognition, abilty to see detail and diffeernce and much better close sight. Far fewer women are colour blind.

But delusion? No that is rare and moslty confined to people witha physical or mental illness or disability. The huge majority of people interconnect entirely accurately with the physical environment around them almost all the time. This is essential for our physicla survival. It is true that if you can see a ghost and no one else around you can, you need to be careful, but as a colour blind person I can assure you that some people can see things I never wil be able to. And if many people can see a ghost there is no more reason to doubt its existence than if many people can see a cat. This may be that they all see it at the same time, or that many individuals see and experience the same thing over a long period of time in one location even though they do not know that others have encountered it..

Outre has nothing to do with reality. Rarity, unusuality, etc does not either. If you are alone on a desert island and can see the fish well enough to spear, and the coconuts well enough to knock down and eat; then if you see something else more rare and unusual, like an angel or a ghost, you only need to apply the same reality checkers and logic to it as you do to everything else.

I once saw a 2 metre long goanna in our back yard, where none were suposed to existand none had been seen for a century or more.

Applying reality checkers and logic I alone ws easily able to determined its reality despite my disbelief. Later i found out that a number of goannas had quietly been released in our location to see if they would breed and spread. At the time, it was as big an unlikelihood and suprise, as seeing a ghost or an angel in our yard.

It is actually highly unlikely that if you are interacting perfectly well with normal reality you will suddenly see something which does not exist. However, hallucination and delusion have physical and psychological causations, and if you had been alone for a long time on that island you might notice that you were losing touch with reality in many ways. I once spent 3 months entirely alone on an island, and it never caused me any problems or difficulties, because I am very self sufficient, but everyone is different. Some people have difficulty being alone with them selves.

Well as far as I can make out you make no end of assertions that fly in the face of reality, so we are just going to have to disagree.

Personal experience is the first, and best, and in many cases the only evidence available to an individual, and certainly it can be objective, otherwise none of us could ever be sure of the existence of anything.

Every form of scientific evidence is first; observed, discovered, and recorded, via some individual's personal experience. One person's experience has as much objective validity as one hundred individual person's experiences, because basically our minds and our senses are all the same. (with some notable differences)

Put a large rock on a path and one person will walk around it. So will the next 100,or 1000, but it only needs the first one, to confirm its existence. If youTHINK you have placed a rock on the path; in fact you are sure you have, but the first person walks straight through it, then you can ascertain that your rock only had subjective existence in your mind.

I must disagree. Personal experience is NEVER an applicable evidence in support of objective truth. Experiences are always filtered through our past. We may experience "something" (and I have at no time suggested that your experiences are wrong or false/lying) but it is just an experience. Anecdotal evidence. Going back a few pages you brought up the concept of a rose and suggested the statement "a rose is a flower" is an objective statement. I argue, NO, it is not an objective statement. It is an hypothesis. "A rose is a flower" is a hypothesis, and using that hypothesis we can then use the available data (the scientific study of roses) to determine that this hypothesis is well-founded.

Anyone can do this study. ANYONE. If I wished, I could go to a laboratory, examine a rose using scientific means, and validate the hypothesis that a rose is a flower, on account of it holding the same characteristics as other flora we have observed to be "flowers". Not everyone can validate the existence of angels. No matter how much I WANT to do this, I have not the means. All I have is anecdotal evidence, which is not scientific.

Does this mean angels don't exist? No, not at all. I have never argued otherwise. But because I can't corroborate it using independent sources, all I have is your word. Angels may be real. Heck, I believe they ARE real. But since I cannot independently study an angel in a laboratory it is not objective.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I bowed out of this debate several pages ago. I should have stuck to that, because I already know how you will respond (you've responded the same way for as long as I've known you). It is completely useless in discussing further. You "know" angels exist. I don't doubt that. I accept your experiences. But I don't accept them as "objective" for the sole reason that I cannot corroborate them. If you said "I saw a woman walking her dog", I could not accept it as objective evidence either, because all I have is your word. Sure, we know that dogs exist, and we know that women exist, and we know that women walk dogs (as do men, but that's aside the point for this analogy). I know all these elements exist, but can I objectively prove that you saw a woman walking a dog? Only with proof (photographic/video evidence). Certainly not with your say-so.

With angels, you saw something. I don't doubt it. But I can't prove it independently. Unless I can prove it independently it is not objective. If you were on a deserted island and experienced a dancing hyena, and then told me about it, I can't objectively prove it. Even if the island is full of dancing hyena's, all I can surmise is that dancing hyena's exist, and it's possible/probable you therefore saw one. But I cannot ever objectively prove it unless there is evidence of that, certainly not with your anecdotal evidence.

Do angels exist? I certainly believe they do! I haven't experienced one - my father did, but that is a different matter. I therefore cannot objectively prove my belief. Even if I had my father's experience, I couldn't objectively prove it. I could share my experience and say how obvious it was that it happened, but it will never be objective. Experiences are never objective. The facts surrounding an experience may be objective, which is something that anyone and everyone should be able to analyse. The woman walking her dog, for example. We can never objectively agree that you saw a woman walking her dog. But we can objectively agree that women exist, and dogs exist, and women walk dogs. Unfortunately for you, we cannot objectively determine that angels exist.

I apologise, I'm ranting here, I really intended this to be only a paragraph or two long. I'll end my commentary here. I know you won't agree, but I'm still going to post it. *I really should have stayed out of it after bowing out a few pages back, lol*

• Like 2

The 'Reality' or 'our' Reality

'Our' as in mine? or yours ? 'Here' is where I am or is 'that' here where you are now ?

We have common reality and collective reality, if we want to include 'god' or 'gods' it is entirely up to us, I, you, he, she ... anyone

It adds to the pot, that make us all what 'we', all of us, are

Edited by third_eye

I must disagree. Personal experience is NEVER an applicable evidence in support of objective truth. Experiences are always filtered through our past. We may experience "something" (and I have at no time suggested that your experiences are wrong or false/lying) but it is just an experience. Anecdotal evidence. Going back a few pages you brought up the concept of a rose and suggested the statement "a rose is a flower" is an objective statement. I argue, NO, it is not an objective statement. It is an hypothesis. "A rose is a flower" is a hypothesis, and using that hypothesis we can then use the available data (the scientific study of roses) to determine that this hypothesis is well-founded.

Anyone can do this study. ANYONE. If I wished, I could go to a laboratory, examine a rose using scientific means, and validate the hypothesis that a rose is a flower, on account of it holding the same characteristics as other flora we have observed to be "flowers". Not everyone can validate the existence of angels. No matter how much I WANT to do this, I have not the means. All I have is anecdotal evidence, which is not scientific.

Does this mean angels don't exist? No, not at all. I have never argued otherwise. But because I can't corroborate it using independent sources, all I have is your word. Angels may be real. Heck, I believe they ARE real. But since I cannot independently study an angel in a laboratory it is not objective.

*sigh* I'm sorry, I bowed out of this debate several pages ago. I should have stuck to that, because I already know how you will respond (you've responded the same way for as long as I've known you). It is completely useless in discussing further. You "know" angels exist. I don't doubt that. I accept your experiences. But I don't accept them as "objective" for the sole reason that I cannot corroborate them. If you said "I saw a woman walking her dog", I could not accept it as objective evidence either, because all I have is your word. Sure, we know that dogs exist, and we know that women exist, and we know that women walk dogs (as do men, but that's aside the point for this analogy). I know all these elements exist, but can I objectively prove that you saw a woman walking a dog? Only with proof (photographic/video evidence). Certainly not with your say-so.

With angels, you saw something. I don't doubt it. But I can't prove it independently. Unless I can prove it independently it is not objective. If you were on a deserted island and experienced a dancing hyena, and then told me about it, I can't objectively prove it. Even if the island is full of dancing hyena's, all I can surmise is that dancing hyena's exist, and it's possible/probable you therefore saw one. But I cannot ever objectively prove it unless there is evidence of that, certainly not with your anecdotal evidence.

Do angels exist? I certainly believe they do! I haven't experienced one - my father did, but that is a different matter. I therefore cannot objectively prove my belief. Even if I had my father's experience, I couldn't objectively prove it. I could share my experience and say how obvious it was that it happened, but it will never be objective. Experiences are never objective. The facts surrounding an experience may be objective, which is something that anyone and everyone should be able to analyse. The woman walking her dog, for example. We can never objectively agree that you saw a woman walking her dog. But we can objectively agree that women exist, and dogs exist, and women walk dogs. Unfortunately for you, we cannot objectively determine that angels exist.

I apologise, I'm ranting here, I really intended this to be only a paragraph or two long. I'll end my commentary here. I know you won't agree, but I'm still going to post it. *I really should have stayed out of it after bowing out a few pages back, lol*

Na! That's ok. I understand and respect your POV.

However it is a philosophical one with which i do not agree.

Everything that is real and solid has objective existence, based on the definition of objective as pertaining to the qualities of an object. Subjective things are dependent on the percetion and experiences etc, of the subject observing objective entities. The physical qualities which determine a rose's existence are not determined, or alterable, by subjective opinion . They exist objectively.

However, the perceived qualities of that rose are subjective eg beauty. You cannot objectively measure beauty in a laboratory, or anywhere else, because it has no objective qualities to measure; it exists purely as a subjective construct of the human mind. The rose itself does not. It would still be growing there, with exactly the same objective qualities and properties, if every human being dropped dead. However its subjective qualities, which are held in the mind of a sapient subject, would cease to exist at that moment. NAmes are a liitle more tricky. Is "rose" or "angel" an objective or subjective term I would argue objective It is simply the name humans attach to a object. It is difficult for someone to argue tha t a rose is not a rose, when it clearly is.

Edited by Mr Walker

The 'Reality' or 'our' Reality

'Our' as in mine? or yours ? 'Here' is where I am or is 'that' here where you are now ?

We have common reality and collective reality, if we want to include 'god' or 'gods' it is entirely up to us, I, you, he, she ... anyone

It adds to the pot, that make us all what 'we', all of us, are

IMO internal realities, while a lot of fun, are not real. Reality is what has physical and objective indpendent existence and would be there if we were not. Ie is entirely extraneous to our mind and senses. So, many people include gods in their reality, via imagination or faith, and that works well for them. I am speaking of entities as physical and objectively existent as you or I, which occupy the common reality of us all, but just in a slightly different state.

No i can understand your pov especially as stated in the first sentence of this post taht is your belief statement "tha tangels do not have a physicla relaity" From experince i know tha tbelief staement is wrong but it is a rational one Just dont try and tell me that based on your belief i cannot KNOW that angels are real independent and ohysicla entities because you do not have the knowledge or expernce to validate that claim.

It just SEEMS when you speak from your belief position that you are suggesting tha t i cannot know and thus must be deluded.

MW, I am speaking only of your claim that angels are real objectively and therefore have a physical reality.

This is not possible based on how we assess for certainty in science.

Now adays with what we know about the brain it is taught in High School that perception is not a reliable purveyor of truth.

I think it is very possible to have subjective experiences that include angels and not be delusional. You believe in angels, you had an experience that you have interpreted as an angel.

It's not a big deal MW, and you are not delusional because you believe in angels, not to me.. People believe all kinds of things, they believe in g-ds, they believe in spirit guides, fairies, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, karma, nirvana, heaven, spirit prison.etc etc. I say if you want to believe in angels go ahead, good for you.

Edited by Sherapy

I suppose angels could be physical entitities if they are made of some sort of strange stuff will properties unknown to science. Traditionally we speak of "physical" things and "spiritual" things, and think of the two as qualitatively different.

Well as far as I can make out you make no end of assertions that fly in the face of reality, so we are just going to have to disagree.

No problem. All my assertions are based on what i know from personal experience (which is very wide and long) and on a huge amount of reading. So I am certain of them and their independent reality, but just as I might suspend belief on any unusual claims you made, I can understand your doubting mine.

My wife gets mad at me when i dont take her word for even little things she sees as we go through a day together. But as i say to her Unless i see or experience it for myslef I cant be sure it is real. You might be mistaken.

So this morning I look out the window and say, "Hey its raining." She says, "No it's not". I say, thinking i am being very smart, "Well then, what's that patter of water on the wall, and all those wet drops on the back verandah, and why is the concrete path all wet?" She shuts up.

Only when I go outside do I find a beautiful sunny day, and a sprinkler going flat out, just out of my line of sight from the window, showering water on the wall, verandah and path. She was right again, and I was stupid to argue with her. Sigh!

MW, I am speaking only of your claim that angels are real objectively and therefore have a physical reality.

This is not possible based on how we assess for certainty in science.

Now adays with what we know about the brain it is taught in High School that perception is not a reliable purveyor of truth.

I think it is very possible to have subjective experiences that include angels and not be delusional. You believe in angels, you had an experience that you have interpreted as an angel.

It's not a big deal MW, and you are not delusional because you believe in angels, not to me.. People believe all kinds of things, they believe in g-ds, they believe in spirit guides, fairies, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, karma, nirvana, heaven, spirit prison.etc etc. I say if you want to believe in angels go ahead, good for you.

Bold one

If something is real then science can prove its reality. Angels are real and solid, so science can prove their reality. One day it will. That won't change their nature as angels, or the fact that they are what humans commonly call angels. Scientific proof will enhance their reality and credibility, not diminish it (Some people argue that gods and angels can ONLY be such, if they are so insubstantial as to be incapable of physical verification, and that anything real can't be an angel or a god. That is a nonsense.)

Bold 2

Then unfortunately your high school teachers are purveyors of untruths. :innocent: That is a philosophical pov, not a scientific truth. As evolved beings, we are almost perfectly able to perceive and respond to our external environments, just like any living organism. It is how we survive. Our senses are incredibly accurate and highly refined, and tuned to our external environment

. Yes, we make subjective judgements about what we objectively sense, but that is another area of debate altogether.

IT is untrue in the practical/physical sense, that humans can not objectively sense their environment using their organs of sense.

A human being can also be trained and taught to perceive and think objectively and logically, using personal, data based evidences, and scientific reasoning to analyse what their senses record. I was taught how to do this, from early childhood right through to university, by very effective teachers. So were most students of my generation.

Thank you for giving me your permission to believe in angels. ( seriously, it is amusing not offensive) The humorous thing, is tha t I dont believe in them at all. My wife does, absolutely and completely, in a faith based choice to believe. That is an ENTIRELY different thought process to knowing they exist.

I dare say I am quite sure I don't "know" anything, and I try to root out what I "believe" and stop. About all I think an intellectually honest person should allow themselves is opinions.

• Like 1

I suppose angels could be physical entitities if they are made of some sort of strange stuff will properties unknown to science. Traditionally we speak of "physical" things and "spiritual" things, and think of the two as qualitatively different.

From observation they are either quantum type beings, or more probably operating a quantum type technology a few centuries in advance of our own current levels. They can transmit them selves and appear as either beings of light or beings of solid matter They can then dematerialse instantly and disappear. They can speak audibly using normal sound, or they can project thoughts and images into your head They can heal and operate on your body from outside using heat and othe rforms of transmitted energy. They canimpart knowledge directly and one to one, or allow you acces to it via a sort of mind meld withthe cosmic consciousness.

Again, thought storage and transmission is already technically feasible by humans, using technology based implants, and will be common place in much less than a century. A human being is both a spiritual and a physical being. So are angels and, indeed, gods. Sapient self awareness required to be an angel a god or a human being, contains within its evolutionary nature the elements of spiritual intelligence. Any entity at human level or above sapience and self awareness, either organic or artificial/electronic based, will have spiritual awareness and intelligence as part of its intellectual capabiities.

I dare say I am quite sure I don't "know" anything, and I try to root out what I "believe" and stop. About all I think an intellectually honest person should allow themselves is opinions.

If that is how you want to go through life, and think of your way of operating, (and it works for you) then OK. I know hundreds of thousands of things, including stuff i learned as a child like how to hang ten on a longboard ski barefoot or tie a windsor knot in a tie,, and learn hundreds more every day. I believe nothing which I do not consciously chose to invest belief in, disbelieve almost nothing, and work to move more and more from the unknown to the known. I deliberately and consciously suspend almost all belief and disbelief in everything.

I think this comes from learning to read at the age of two and my parents stressing the prime importance of knowledge in all aspects of life, from how to properly make and serve a cup of tea, to how to best treat snakebite or trap a rabbit, or strip down and rebuild an engine or design and build a model aeroplane motor car etc . I can construct a number of explosive devices and timing mecahanism which i learned as a teenager just from reading novels long before the internet. I love learning new things even though after a while they bore me. Even the skill of learning, its different forms, and the comparative effectiveness of each based on human neurology, can be learned.

In general I have a continuum from the known to the unknown, and try to "slide" more things further along it, from unknown to absolutely known. It is just the way I am and makes me an asset at quiz nights. In part it enables me to be all i can be, so i can more effectively help others, but it is really my equivalent of being driven to be the best footballer I could be. To me, the mind is the most important thing about being human, and while it will all be lost when i die, that doesnt seem to worry me, or stop me learning .

Actually i dont believe you dont know anything. Like me, you probably know a host of things

I "know" that the Earth averages something like 97 million miles from the sun. Now, what do I really "know?" I know that it takes me a day and a half to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Nhat Trang. Do I know it?

It is my opinion. If the bus breaks down, it will take longer. As far as the distance to the sun, that is not knowledge but the result of calculations based I assume on how long it takes radar waves to bounce off something and then do some trigonometry. I have no idea what 97 million of anything is. I might get a better picture from various analogies, I suppose, but all that would then resolve down to opinion.

Some things we think we know better than others, but nothing is certain and even is we really know, do we understand?

Like I say, I don't know, I only have opinions.

• Like 1

There can really be no single Meaning to "LIFE" for we are many .I personally have been on many mountains and have crawled through many valleys.And I have found that for me just to wake up and no have to wonder why I feel the way I do is a great gift ...there is no blame for me to place upon anyone and no points that have to be proven .I am very tickled to be a 53 year old little boy ..and my portion of this lifetime is afforded to me every second I breathe ..perhaps you will consider me a simpleton ,so be it ..I am a happy simpleton

happy works for me everytime

contentment is not complacency

I guess not, but I wonder how one can be content if they are not complacent and complacent if they are not content.

complacency as defined in terms of content in the face of unaware of things ..I am aware of many dangers and other things ,however will not give my happiness to them ..hope this clears your confusion

• Like 1

I "know" that the Earth averages something like 97 million miles from the sun. Now, what do I really "know?" I know that it takes me a day and a half to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Nhat Trang. Do I know it?

It is my opinion. If the bus breaks down, it will take longer. As far as the distance to the sun, that is not knowledge but the result of calculations based I assume on how long it takes radar waves to bounce off something and then do some trigonometry. I have no idea what 97 million of anything is. I might get a better picture from various analogies, I suppose, but all that would then resolve down to opinion.

Some things we think we know better than others, but nothing is certain and even is we really know, do we understand?

Like I say, I don't know, I only have opinions.

It is true that you can only know something like the distance ot the sun by faith, ie taking other peoples word for it, but everything you learn, and know from experience from walking, to talking to hang gliding, is self evidently knowledge.

You KNOW you cant walk through a wall if you have ever tried to do so, that you have diabetes when you faint from low sugar level, that you are allergic to some foods. You know how to ride a bike or surf or speak three languages, because these are personal experiences. I know how to construct a bomb and timing device, make a bow and arrow from scratch etc. I know how a lever can help me move a heavy weight I know that one can can construct a right angle using a piece of string, because I have done all these things, working from basic knowledge of principles and practice. I know a windmill works because i have rebuilt one and watched it pump water up a fifty metre hill. I know water runs down hill because i have watched it do so.

Understanding comes after knowledge. I didn't learn the principles of gravity or hydraulics until years after i had observed them in operation. I was probably 16 by the time someone explained bernoullis theory to me, but i had already made powered aeroplanes from balsa wood and tissue paper and learned how to fly them.