Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jumbo Demolition Squads

Eldorado

"Elephants used to bulldoze shacks in forest."

"..animal lovers have blasted using the endangered elephants in jumbo demolition squads as cruelty.

PETA India, CEO, Poorva Joshipura said: ““Forcing these animals to ram into concrete and iron is a violation of Section 11 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and shows a total disregard for the welfare of our nation’s heritage animal."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/elephants-used-bulldoze-shacks-forest-1764504

Sad. And also sad that the newspaper I've linked seems to think it's amusing. Or am I being too 'sensitive'?

Don't think your being too sensitive. It may be the only way to get this job done but is it worth it. The shacks would eventually fall in.

• Like 1

"Or am I being too 'sensitive'?" El

I think riding horseback is cruel.

If you don't, try putting a bit in your mouth, and then have some cowboy start yanking the reins.

Is the locus of this topic India?

India's an emerging nation. Perhaps it's on the cusp of substituting bulldozers for this. But that's presumptive. There may be some elephants that would rather have the job, than not be alive.

I think riding horseback is cruel.

If you don't, try putting a bit in your mouth, and then have some cowboy start yanking the reins.

Is the locus of this topic India?

India's an emerging nation. Perhaps it's on the cusp of substituting bulldozers for this. But that's presumptive. There may be some elephants that would rather have the job, than not be alive.

But that horse would not be alive if it wasn't for human's who had a large role in breeding different horses for different tasks. I guess you could argue that no life is better than having a bit in your mouth for hours most days, but i don't think that is a sound arguement.